• Show
Clear All
  • Bill Stock
    Established Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Canada, Eh!
    • BT3100

Anybody here NOT have a PayPal account?

I had to have a FF do a reship on a product that doesn't ship to Canada, but they don't have a PayPal account so I have to send them a MO. Granted they are older than I am, but I'm not exactly an Internet Butterfly, no FaceBook, no Twitter, no LinkedIn, etc. So how many of you don't have PP and why not?

Just curious.
  • phrog
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2005
    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

I stopped buying and selling on eBay when they went to PayPal only. I had been an eBayer for several years and looked at opening a PayPal account but when I read the user agreement I decided it wasn't worth the risk. Look at http://www.PayPalSucks.com for some info on their horror stories.
    Richard
    Richard

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

I have always found PP easy and trouble-free. I maintain an online bank account that is for Paypal only, and I only put enough into it to cover when I purchase something. Very convenient, and widely accepted for all kinds of stuff, not just Ebay.

Comment

• drumpriest
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
        • Powermatic PM 2000

I have an account, but have not used it in many years, then about 6 months ago paypal started to give me grief over locking my account, etc... There is a little money in it, but now it looks as though I'll never see that $$$ again.

I'm pretty unimpressed.
        Keith Z. Leonard
        Go Steelers!

Comment

• herb fellows
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • New York City
          • bt3100

I'm sure in a worst case scenario, they can drag you over the coals, but i have to agree I've never had a problem personally.
          You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

What is a FF?
            Remember, it is a different money order for international (postal) then regular (not available at Stations, but available at Post Offices.

I for YEARS, only used Money orders for Ebay. I had a CC before I bought my house (not by much), and had it for a few years. It was used to buy parts, do one project and pay it off while working on it, then start another. Then, my Credit Union, changed card companies, and mine expired during the time of the Transfer. So I wasn't automatically shipped one. I wasn't the only member that happened to, as their was a newletter story (help us find who fell through the cracks), but I never bothered to respond. I went for YEARS without one.
            Then I was in at Sears and buying something and they made the offer. Since I had little credit history I figured no way (non tradional mortgage, doesn't even show up as credit). They gave me one. I used it mostly for work (ordering parts) so it has been paid off monthly, then finally used it to open a paypal account, when I found a bargain on something I had been looking for, for a LONG time. They didn't accept money orders. If it weren't for that one purchase, I still wouldn't have one.
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• thrytis
              • May 2004
              • Concord, NC, USA.
              • Delta Unisaw

I have no PayPal account. I don't sell stuff through eBay, so i've never seen a reason to have an account and have no desire for one with the stories i've read. I can buy stuff through PayPal without having an account.
              Eric

Comment

• rfisher7381
                Forum Newbie
                • Dec 2005
                • Hudsonville, MI, USA.

I've got a Paypal account that we use for as many online purchases as possible. In fact if a online purchase can't be made with Paypal we keep searching to try and find a vendor that uses Paypal. My thought is why do I want to spread my credit card number around to numerous online vendors. Doesn't using Paypal avoid that? Hope we aren't making a big mistake!
                Randy

Comment

• catta12
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2008
                  • Reno, NV
                  • BTS20R

I have Paypal but use it only when I have to. There is better fraud protection on a credit card IMO. I use a Citi card that lets me make disposable numbers and lets me set limits and the expiration date on the transaction. Only one vendor can use the number or it deactivates and only up to the amount I specify. Also the charges go straight to my CC bill (paid off every month) so I don't have to mess with yet another account.
                  If you can read this you assembled wrong.

Alan

Comment

• phrog
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2005
                    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by drumpriest
                    I have an account, but have not used it in many years, then about 6 months ago paypal started to give me grief over locking my account, etc... There is a little money in it, but now it looks as though I'll never see that $$$ again.

I'm pretty unimpressed.
                    This sounds like some of the horror stories reported on PayPalSucks.com. One guy even lost his business because they locked his business account for several months and he could not pay his employees or vendors. He sued but I never saw how it was settled.
                    Richard
                    Richard

Comment

• phrog
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2005
                      • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by thrytis
                      I have no PayPal account. I don't sell stuff through eBay, so i've never seen a reason to have an account and have no desire for one with the stories i've read. I can buy stuff through PayPal without having an account.
                      How do you buy stuff through PayPal with no PayPal account? I often see things on eBay I would like to bid on but do not since eBay will allow PayPal payments only now. In fact eBay states on their site that you cannot even use cash for payment. I'm not sure that is legal.
                      Richard
                      Richard

Comment

• phrog
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2005
                        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by rfisher7381
                        I've got a Paypal account that we use for as many online purchases as possible. In fact if a online purchase can't be made with Paypal we keep searching to try and find a vendor that uses Paypal. My thought is why do I want to spread my credit card number around to numerous online vendors. Doesn't using Paypal avoid that? Hope we aren't making a big mistake!
                        In the PayPal agreement that I read, PayPal requires you to give them your bank account number or credit card number before they will open your account. They can, at their discretion, lock your account for up to 6 months. This is why I refuse to deal with PayPal. Besides, with their record, I don't think I want them to have ANY of my account info, especially my numbers.
                        Richard
                        Richard

Comment

• phrog
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2005
                          • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

My apologies to Bill Stock. I did not mean to hijack this thread but the word "PayPal" hit a raw nerve.
                          Richard
                          Richard

Comment

• Stytooner
                            Roll Tide RIP Lee
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                            • BT3100

I have personally never had any issues at all with Paypal other than the infrequent payment notices that never make it to my inbox. It has only happened just a few times and that was last year during maybe a two month period.

Lots of people do not have PP accounts. 2 out of 10 of my buyers don't use PP.

I never keep more than about $1000.00 in my PP account. I transfer to savings about twice a month. This way if it gets locked, I am not out all that much. Not enough to hurt anyway. Just enough to get peeved about.
                            Lee

Comment

• thrytis
                              • May 2004
                              • Concord, NC, USA.
                              • Delta Unisaw

Originally posted by phrog
                              How do you buy stuff through PayPal with no PayPal account? I often see things on eBay I would like to bid on but do not since eBay will allow PayPal payments only now. In fact eBay states on their site that you cannot even use cash for payment. I'm not sure that is legal.
                              Richard
                              Go to the BT3 donation link. Choose something and hit order. Then click on the "Order using PayPal" button. Then just fill in your credit card billing information on the left hand side of the page and submit. No need to have an account and log in.
                              Eric

Comment

Working...