• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alpha
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Owensboro, KY, USA.

Thinking about buying a gun?

This is not meant to start a political discussion. I am only passing this along as a matter of information since I have been shopping for a new hand gun. As such I am only telling you how to find a link. Just do a google search on "HR 45" so you will be informed. No opinions please.
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

No, but I wouldn't mind buying some ammo. Who do you have to know to get some brass?

Thanks for the heads-up. Important reading no matter what side of issue you're on.

Comment

• lago
      Established Member
      • Nov 2003
      • Lago Vista, TX.

From what I have picked up on some of the gun forms, it HOPEFULLY will not pass. The Democrats learned their lesson a few years ago.

Of course, Obama has been voted the "NRA Firearm Salesman of the Year'.

Being a reloader, it has become impossible to find reloading components, especially primers. If you don't have the part that goes BANG, then nothing else will work.

It seems that almost all handgun ammo and some rifle ammo is in short supply or even non-existant to find. With the rush on ammo since the election, the thought is that the mfgs. are trying to keep the ammo mfgs supplied with primers. Once they catch up, then maybe primers will be available again.

Brass for reloaders has become scarce also. Powder, to some extent, is still available.

Fortunately, I have enough for hunting the next year or two.

Comment

• FL Buckeye
        Established Member
        • Aug 2005
        • WC Florida and Crossville, TN
        • BT3100, Grizzly 1023SL

Originally posted by cgallery
        No, but I wouldn't mind buying some ammo. Who do you have to know to get some brass?
        With the price of ammo now, all I can afford is the rimfire stuff. Don't want to deplete my "tools" budget!
        Lanny

The older you get, the better you used to be.

Comment

• TheChief
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2008
          • Kentucky
          • Craftsman 21829

As written I can't see how it would pass. Maybe... maybe not... but my bet is against it.

The broo-ha-ha over what's going to happen to rights to own such products -- and the response of those on both sides of the issue, but primarily the hoarders -- reminds me a lot of how some folks were just absolutely sure that the very day of the inauguration all kind of bad things would come to pass.

And... so far? I can't see that most our day-to-day has changed much. Details here and there, of course, but most of America is still fat and warm and dry and the blood of innocents has not yet flooded the country up to our doorsteps.

My call? Give it time. When the fanatics come to realize that the product in question hasn't been outlawed and the Revolution won't be coming tomorrow or next month or next year, demand will peter out, stock will be ramp up again, the market price will settle and the sensible among us will be able to return to hunting, targeting, plinking and continuing to protect ourselves when necessary.
          TheChief
          "You emptied the dust collector? Dude... some of my best work was in there!"

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

I think it will be seen as a threat to individual liberties, and I doubt many politicians will want to go there. Besides, there is little or no argument to the fact that someone who wants to use a gun to commit a crime will not be deterred by not having a licensed one. In fact, even as a law-abiding citizen, I still will not get rid of mine, even if the government asks for them.

Comment

• BerniePA
              Established Member
              • Nov 2007
              • San Tan Valley, AZ
              • Grizzly 0575

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
              I think it will be seen as a threat to individual liberties, and I doubt many politicians will want to go there. Besides, there is little or no argument to the fact that someone who wants to use a gun to commit a crime will not be deterred by not having a licensed one. In fact, even as a law-abiding citizen, I still will not get rid of mine, even if the government asks for them.
              I think that if by some ATROCITY it does pass, we will see a whole new crop of criminals in this country, starting with UC and ending with ME!!!
              Bernie

Owww -- That spinnin' thang hurt!!

Comment

• Hellrazor
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Abyss, PA
                • Ridgid R4512

Originally posted by BerniePA
                I think that if by some ATROCITY it does pass, we will see a whole new crop of criminals in this country, starting with UC and ending with ME!!!
                That passes and we are looking at a civil war. I don't know a single gun owner who will be willing to give them up.

Comment

• cgallery
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2004
                  • Milwaukee, WI
                  • BT3K

Originally posted by Hellrazor
                  That passes and we are looking at a civil war.
                  I guess we're all going to have to move to another country, I nominate Texas.

Comment

• bruce hylton
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2008
                    • winlock, wa
                    • Dewalt today

Altough there are people that will tell you different, I do not own a single gun. However I own several weapons of mass destruction, or at least I am the registered owner of several Ford products, a couple GMC products, and a couple pieces of heavy equipment. All of which combine to cause more death and destruction each year in the U.S.A. than is reported from the use of guns. Make my world better by appling a code of ethics on the media and law makers and I would be happier and everyone else would be safer.

Comment

• Tom Slick
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2005
                      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                      • sears BT3 clone

Just to put some numbers to Bruce's statement
                      CDC stats in 2006:
                      Gun related deaths (all types) 30,896
                      Gun related non-violent 642
                      Violence/homicide, non-gun 22,273
                      Motor vehicle deaths (all types) 45,509
                      Bicycle deaths 926
                      Pedestrian deaths 6,162
                      Heart Disease 631,636 (#1)
                      Diabetes 72,449
                      Flu 56,326
                      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• XXL
                        Handtools only
                        • Oct 2007
                        • Union, Oregon
                        • Ryobi

Just a little more info:

Originally posted by Tom Slick
                        Just to put some numbers to Bruce's statement
                        CDC stats in 2006:
                        Gun related deaths (all types) 30,896
                        Gun related non-violent 642
                        Violence/homicide, non-gun 22,273
                        Motor vehicle deaths (all types) 45,509
                        Bicycle deaths 926
                        Pedestrian deaths 6,162
                        Heart Disease 631,636 (#1)
                        Diabetes 72,449
                        Flu 56,326
                        In my job I care for elderly (mostly) ex- smokers....of those 600,000+ folks who die of heart disease, around 400,000 are attributed to tobacco use. Coronary artery disease, congestive heart failure, emphysema, bronchitis and asthma are all worsened by tobacco use. Another legal product with consequences for it use.
                        By comparison, guns are not the problem.....
                        XXL

Comment

• Alex Franke
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2007
                          • Chapel Hill, NC
                          • Ryobi BT3100

It'll probably just die in committee. Lots of stuff does.

I think TheChief is right about ammo prices.
                          online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                          while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                          "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• cwsmith
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2005
                            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                            • BT3100-1

I doubt that it will pass. Everytime there is a so-called "mass-killing", bills like this get put on the agenda and they rarely go very far. Personally, I have to admit to being a person who in my teens and early 20's had some interest in "guns". But as I became older, my opinion changed toward handguns. (I've always had a rifle.) While I felt we all need to be defense oriented, my thinking was that a "law abiding citizen" would be appropriately protected by the local law officials. As time has passed, I've become convince that this is not so much a political issue as it is a social one. Unfortunately it definitely reflects on a society that has degraded over the past couple of decades and the balance has shifted to give the upper hand to those with criminal intent. All the gun laws in the world aren't going to matter to those who live outside the law.

Unfortunately the sad fact is that the laws that are "on the books" don't seem to be totally inforced or inforcible. With the recent killings in Binghamton, the guy had a permit. Oddly, when he applied, his father wrote to the county sheriff and pleaded his case against his son being allowed to have a gun permit, yet it was granted anyway. Since then, the guy's reputation showed some significant problems and even some threats, yet he was never investigated and his gun permit never questioned.

My mind has changed and I'm now of the opinion that we all need "protection" and too often it's immediate. Too many incidences to wonder about safety from the police only, and I'm now certain that a responsible, armed citizenry, is perhaps an appropriate measure for the times.

CWS
                            Last edited by cwsmith; 05-03-2009, 04:18 PM.
                            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• bmyers
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jun 2003
                              • Fishkill, NY
                              • bt 3100

Originally posted by cgallery
                              I guess we're all going to have to move to another country, I nominate Texas.

Thats a good one. It is a different country.. After the first civil war, they kept their own constitution in the top drawer of the desk, "just in case".
                              "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

Working...