• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Is It True?

A buddy of mine has a BMW 545i. He just bought his second set of run flat tires. He's complaining about how much they cost (now there's a laugh). I suggested he replace them with just a high performance tire, which IMO, would handle better than a stiff sidewall tire.

He tells me that the dealers will sell him other than run flats, but won't install them. He says they refuse to install tires that don't comply with factory recommendations. He says it may be just a liability thing.

I disagreed with him. I would think you can change the wheels or tires. I even doubt that changing out of run flats wouldn't void any warranties if that would be a reason. I called Tire Rack and asked and the guy said there's no restriction for tires. It could be possible that the guy didn't know and just wanted to sell tires. Anybody have any info on this?
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

If I were him I'd call BMW and ask. I've never heard of non-OEM tires voiding a warranty. I know that we looked at the run-flat system for the Odyssey but did not get it installed. It is expensive and tires can only be installed/replaced by a qualified dealer or it voids the warranty on the run flat.
    Last edited by crokett; 04-20-2009, 02:40 PM.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

So let me get this straight, the guy buys a beemer and complains that parts / maintenance on it are expensive?

As far as the run flat or not tire situation goes, have him call BMW Customer service. There may be something behind this...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• germdoc
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Omaha, NE
        • BT3000--the gray ghost

Originally posted by dbhost
        So let me get this straight, the guy buys a beemer and complains that parts / maintenance on it are expensive?
        Yep, no sympathy whatsover. One of my cardiology colleagues complained that after he had done some renovations to his $500,000 house it was now assessed at $700,000 and he had to pay more in taxes. I got out my very tiny violin...
        Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• Mr__Bill
          Veteran Member
          • May 2007
          • Tacoma, WA
          • BT3000

We have an older Beemer, a 328I. BMW dealers seem to only do things the BMW way and at BMW prices. Most likely the suspension was tuned for those tires and other tires would compromise the handling and thus safety. If he really wants to change the tires there is always Costco.

Bill

Comment

• stormdog74
            Established Member
            • Mar 2007
            • Sacramento, CA
            • Ridgid TS3650

Yeah, I would go to Costco. On a similar - expensive - note, I have a 330xi, which means it is AWD and I was in for a shock when a tire blew out and I had to replace all four because you have to have tires with approximately the same tread remaining on all four tires. At first I thought it was just a ploy to get me to buy more tires, but I researched it and it is true. That was my first very expensive lesson in owning a BMW.

Comment

• Tom Slick
              Veteran Member
              • May 2005
              • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
              • sears BT3 clone

Costco might not touch it either. Their corporate policy is to only replace tires with the same ratings and size.
              Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• BobSch
                • Aug 2004
                • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                • BT3100

Originally posted by dbhost
                Aw. Poor guy...
                Attached Files
                Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

Working...