• Show
Clear All
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

RANT - Another pet peeve (long)

When you buy a product that needs to be put together, why can't they supply instructions that a grade school kid could understand?

My wife ordered this contraption. It arrived, and I was going to put it together. You know the kind of instructions........part A (1 pc.), part B (2 pcs.), part C (2) pcs.), etc. OK, part B (2) pcs. These pieces had holes of different sizes drilled in them. They were the same size and shape. The holes were drilled in the same places, and the same sizes. They are identical, right? Not really. One of them had very small pilot holes drilled in them to accept small screws, the other did not. But the pilot holes had been cleverly painted to conceal them. So I put it all together, and on the last piece, I needed to put small screws in an area that could not be seen with the mating piece covering it. So out comes the calipers, tape measure, and speed square. I got the holes in the right place, but if I had known the part B pieces were not identical, I could have saved some time. If they were not identical, shouldn't one be marked part C, or maybe they should be marked part B1 and B2, or part B right, and part B left?

No, I'm not done yet. They supply drawings that are so bad, you can't tell which part you're looking at on the drawing (they're not marked by part #).

I'm still not done, but almost. The drawings do not even go together like the actual contraption does. Parts are not sized properly, and they do not go together as the instructions say.

OK, figure it out for yourself how it all goes together. Luckily, I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, so I figured it out. But what about all the people who are a little short when it comes to figuring things out? They have to call a customer service number and try to explain to someone exactly what they're looking at, and try to get enough help. Writing instructions seems to be a real problem for most places when it comes to showing you how to put together a 1500 piece puzzle. Rant over.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

I've never really had problems putting things together, I usually do it without the instructions though. I stopped trying to read the instructions, they are written in Swahili most of the time. Or they might as well be.
    Last edited by crokett; 04-01-2009, 08:53 PM.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

Originally posted by crokett
      I usually do it without the instructions though.
      You probably shouldn't buy one of those HF trailers, then.

Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• jackellis
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

It happens a lot. Two of our friends are - or I should say used to be - technical writers and illustrators. No more. The work has either been delegated to engineers or outsourced.

I usually don't read the instructions either, unless I'm at all concerned that not reading the instructions is going to bring me to grief.

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by Ed62
          You probably shouldn't buy one of those HF trailers, then.

Ed

Was the "contraption" a HF trailer? If not, what was it? How 'bout pics!

Comment

• BobSch
            • Aug 2004
            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
            • BT3100

Originally posted by jackellis
            It happens a lot. Two of our friends are - or I should say used to be - technical writers and illustrators. No more. The work has either been delegated to engineers or outsourced.
            Technical writing/illustrating is a real art. The worst person to have write up instructions is anyone who was in on the design — they're too close to the product and that makes it too easy to assume things.
            Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• jking
              • May 2003
              • Des Moines, IA.
              • BT3100

Originally posted by jackellis

I usually don't read the instructions either, unless I'm at all concerned that not reading the instructions is going to bring me to grief.
              Outsourced should read "instructions are made in a foreign country". The big push is to make assembly instructions with pictures or illustrations only, no or minimal words. When done correctly, it makes life easy. When done poorly, well...

Comment

• herb fellows
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • New York City
                • bt3100

Originally posted by BobSch
                Technical writing/illustrating is a real art. The worst person to have write up instructions is anyone who was in on the design — they're too close to the product and that makes it too easy to assume things.
                I think that is exactly what the problem is! You have hit on a pet peeve of mine, so I'll add a little ranting here. So-called 'technical writing' today is pathetic!
                All instructions should be written by sending someone wih an IQ of 60 into a room with the product and videotape them trying to put it together.

If you personally don't want to/need to read the instructions, that's fine. The fact is, they should be boiled down to the simplest, dot all the i's and cross all the t's steps, for anybody who DOES want/need them!
                NOBODY should have to call the manufacturer to find out how to assemble a product. That is just ridiculous. Why would a company create a totally needless waste of everyone's time, not to mention the consumers aggravation.
                Much like wishing they had worked more when they are on their deathbed, nobody ever wished there were less instructions.
                You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• BobSch
                  • Aug 2004
                  • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                  • BT3100

Originally posted by herb fellows
                  I think that is exactly what the problem is! You have hit on a pet peeve of mine, so I'll add a little ranting here. So-called 'technical writing' today is pathetic!
                  Its' an easy trap to fall into. "Why should we hire a TW when Joe was in on the development. He knows it all, let him write the manual." The same problem happens in the software world... a lot.

Back in my instructor/course developer days, we were asked to develop some "easy" manuals for non-technical people so they could work on equipment with a minimum of formal training. Everyone was feeling really good about the end result until one of the development group suggested we bring in a member of the target audience for a test run. What an eye-opening disaster. We had all unconsciously assumed a level of user knowledge that wasn't there. Back to the drawing boards.
                  Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• pelligrini
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • Fort Worth, TX
                    • Craftsman 21829

That happens a lot with our Architectural drawings as well. I'm constantly telling one person to add more details, callouts & dimensions. "You have to make it so someone in the field can put this togeather. You may know what's going on there, but these drawings tell me nothing."
                    Erik

Comment

• jking
                      • May 2003
                      • Des Moines, IA.
                      • BT3100

Originally posted by pelligrini
                      That happens a lot with our Architectural drawings as well. I'm constantly telling one person to add more details, callouts & dimensions. "You have to make it so someone in the field can put this togeather. You may know what's going on there, but these drawings tell me nothing."
                      Getting people to understand what useful dimensions to put on plans can be an educational process as well.

Comment

• dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Generally speaking, when writing technical instructions for work purposes, I generally assume my audience needs to wear a bib to keep from drooling on themselves... and then I am glad when their level of competence is ANYTHING over that...
                        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• herb fellows
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2007
                          • New York City
                          • bt3100

Exactly as it should be, DB. If you are trying to 'sell' a product, why would you want to make it more difficult for ANY consumer to use that product? Unless you're going for 'snob appeal', this is not a road you want to go down.
                          You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                            • Dec 2005
                            • Russell, NY, USA.
                            • Ryobi BT3000

Yeah, tech writing! Reminds me when years ago (many) a supervisor asked me to write a procedure for starting up an emergency generator. Part of the procedure was to "pull out the choke when starting". I, however did not put in the part to push the choke back in after the engine started. I was reminded that not all people would know to push the choke in after starting. I had just assumed everyone would know to do that. Instuctions need to be written for a 40 IQ or less!
                            RuffSawn
                            Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• herb fellows
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2007
                              • New York City
                              • bt3100

Ok, I simply can't resist this! My wife, who's in the airline industy, sent this to me yesterday. A little extreme, I'll admit, but the ultimate example of why you should read the instruction booklet!
                              Pilots for a Middle Eastern airline, who had just purchased the brand new , huge, Airbus a340-600 (yes, that 600 is the number of passengers it can hold!), were 'starting her up' for the first time.
                              They turned on all 4 engines at full thrust, with an empty plane. Not a good thing!
                              A 200 million dollar plane gone bye bye!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...