• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zenaca
    Established Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Idaho

computer problem

My wife opened a email this AM and after she closed it the anti spyware (windoze defender ) said that there was a trojan horse and e-mail worm.

The address bar showed a malware /spyware address and showed like 700 trojans and worms on my machine.

I ran the AVG spyware i have installed a complete scan (2.5 hrs long) andit came up with nothing!

The windoze defender keeps sending me to a site to buy thier program.

Should i trust the AVG or not?

Any help would be deeply appreciated!

bud
  • BobSch
    • Aug 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Originally posted by Zenaca
    I ran the AVG spyware i have installed a complete scan (2.5 hrs long) andit came up with nothing!

The windoze defender keeps sending me to a site to buy thier program.

Should i trust the AVG or not?

bud
    First, Is AVG up to date? You MUST to check for updates daily. AVG can be set up to do it automatically or you can do it manually.

I'm not sure to what you're referring to with "windoze defender" but if it's another piece of anti-virus software, you've got a problem already. NEVER have more than one AV program on a system at a time — they don't play well together.

A good program to use along with AVG is Malware Bytes http://www.malwarebytes.org/ Download the free version and run it to check for rootkits, trojans and other uglies.

A good spyware scanner is also a must. Superantispyware http://www.superantispyware.com/ is highly recommended.

Check http://www.williamaford.com/ for more info. Bill's a good guy and knows what he's talking about.

Good luck.
    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Windows Defender is a free program from Microsoft and you don't have to buy it. If you mean Windows Antivirus 2008 or Windows Antivirus 2009, those are malware/spyware. The only thing I've found that cleaned them was Spybot Search and Destry. My wife's laptop and my in-laws both got this malware. The only thing I found that fixed it was Spybot. Yes they are both also running AVG antivirus.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• bfrikken
        • Apr 2005
        • Michigan, USA.
        • BT-3100

Also, some of these websites are getting a little crazy and tricky. They have webpage popups that look like your antivirus is going off. And it mirrors the look of windows defender. They'll have the "Click here to see results" and a number of "Virus found click here to delete." type links that lead you into infecting your own pc.

Comment

• Zenaca
          Established Member
          • Nov 2006
          • Idaho

bfrikken that is exactly what id did so i stopped before downloading any thing to check here with you guys!

So i guess i just close those windows and run the spybot and avg again?

And it kept poping up windows to go to thier site to buy thier program for $60 a year.

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Best thing to do is download the updates for Spybot, then reboot Windows to safe mode w/networking then run spybot to disinfect everything.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Zenaca
              Established Member
              • Nov 2006
              • Idaho

Thanks alot guys i just got done downloading spybot and it is running as we speak.

I knew you guys would save the day!

Bud

Comment

• cgallery
                Veteran Member
                • Sep 2004
                • Milwaukee, WI
                • BT3K

www.superantispyware.com, the free for home user's version, will clean it.

Comment

• smorris
                  • Apr 2003
                  • Tampa, Florida, USA.

Originally posted by cgallery
                  www.superantispyware.com, the free for home user's version, will clean it.
                  That's the one we use for that particular problem and it cleans it. This is one of the best I've found, it works better than spybot often.
                  --
                  Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• pelligrini
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • Fort Worth, TX
                    • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Zenaca
                    And it kept poping up windows to go to thier site to buy thier program for $60 a year.
                    More than all likely it was a scam page, especially with the ad.
                    Erik

Comment

• crokett
                      The Full Monte
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Mebane, NC, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

I am biting my tongue to not suggest -my- final cure for viruses and malware.
                      David

Comment

• dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

I'm probably going to get another negative feedback on this... But I have said this before, and I will say it again... If you were running Linux, you would not have needed to make this thread...

I don't mean to sound mean or nasty here, but if you truly want to do away with this problem, get off of virus prone operating systems once and for all...

Ubuntu is the most Windows user friendly version out there, and worth a look...
                        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• sparkeyjames
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • Redford MI.
                          • Craftsman 21829

I have cleaned so many systems I'm sick of doing it but hey I want my relatives and friends to remain on good terms. Any way I use the following AVG free anti virus, Spybot Search and Destroy, Adaware, Microsofts Windows Defender and a program called "Hijack This". 'Hijack This' is a program that finds all the stuff windows runs at startup and allows you to eliminate them as many virus's and malware try to vector in this way. I also look at Norton and McAfee's sites for single virus stand alone scan programs. The only problem I have is that Spybot S&D can take what seems like forever to scan a system but it is thorough and sometimes it likes to scan the system twice if it finds a startup vector it does not like and needs to rescan on a reboot. Last one took 2 hours 20 minutes to scan a system twice. Also pay quit a bit of attention to BHO's (browser helper objects) for IE 6,7. I have found MANY virus's and malware that vector in this way. Some seem to take a 2 pronged attack in that the same virus/malware trys to set up a BHO and startup mechanism. If one fails the other one, if it can still run, resets the disabled part. These can be tricky to eliminate. The ones I despise the most are programs that insert themselves into the network stack. Getting these out invariably require a system repair reinstall.
                          Most of the programs I have found that try to reset the networking stack in windows do not do a very good job of it.
                          I also from time to time depending on the situation I like to install the free version of ZoneAlarm firewall. Zone Alarm needs some interactivity on the part of the user to be effective and for people who are afraid of their computers or are just not very computer savvy it can seem intimidating. Just don't run ZoneAlarm on high security as it tends to cut the computer almost completely off from the network.
                          Last edited by sparkeyjames; 03-16-2009, 07:03 PM.

Comment

• sparkeyjames
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Redford MI.
                            • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by dbhost
                            I'm probably going to get another negative feedback on this... But I have said this before, and I will say it again... If you were running Linux, you would not have needed to make this thread...

I don't mean to sound mean or nasty here, but if you truly want to do away with this problem, get off of virus prone operating systems once and for all...

Ubuntu is the most Windows user friendly version out there, and worth a look...
                            If your running Linux people will for sure know you are a computer geek and will target you as a person who can fix THEIR computer. Run RUN Faster.

Comment

Working...