Laptop Purchase- When does next windows OS come out?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gator95
    Established Member
    • Jan 2008
    • Atlanta GA
    • Ridgid 3660

Laptop Purchase- When does next windows OS come out?

Wife looking for a laptop. Both our boxes are running XP now, and I really am not crazy about getting a laptop now and having Vista.

How long am I going to have to wait before Vista goes away to buy her a laptop?
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Windows 7 is supposed to be released Octobor 2009, or so I've read. I don't think that is an official date though. After both XP and Vista missed multiple target dates I don't think Microsoft has officially announce one. I don't plan to run any Windows OS past XP.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• OpaDC
      Established Member
      • Feb 2008
      • Pensacola, FL
      • Ridgid TS3650

from newsoxy.com

By Kara Gilmour
      Published: Feb 20, 2009 02:09 AM GMT
      Updated: Mar 14, 2009 23:53 PM GMT

"Microsoft has published two possible release dates on its Web site for Windows 7. The first one has the product slated for late 2009, while the other indicates a full launch in early 2010. We asked the Microsoft spokesperson which date was evident, but they said the company is aiming for 2009 while keeping the 2010 date available incase the product is delayed."

Believe it or not it seems to be getting decent reviews.

second star to the right and straight on til morning

Comment

• JoeyGee
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • Sylvania, OH, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Vista really isn't that bad. I think SP1 really fixed most of the issues people were having, which were/are compatibility issues. More wnet away after more drivers were released. If you get a LT, there's not really much hardware you will have to add on that you would have to worry about. Software is another issue .

There is always Ubuntu, which you could replace Windows with.
        Joe

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Another vote for Ubuntu...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• gsmittle
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2004
            • St. Louis, MO, USA.
            • BT 3100

Another vote for a Macintosh...

g.
            Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
            Bill & Ted

Comment

• Hellrazor
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Abyss, PA
              • Ridgid R4512

Windows 7 is being rushed and I am willing to bet it will be another disaster, just like vista.

Comment

• gsmittle
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2004
                • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                • BT 3100

Originally posted by Hellrazor
                Windows 7 is being rushed and I am willing to bet it will be another disaster, just like vista.
                The Mac fanboy is biting his tongue so hard it's bleeding...

g.
                Smit

Bill & Ted

Comment

• Hellrazor
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2003
                  • Abyss, PA
                  • Ridgid R4512

Originally posted by gsmittle
                  The Mac fanboy is biting his tongue so hard it's bleeding...
                  I just do not like vista. It has been a PITA on my work laptop, a Toshiba Tecra TabletPC. I found a real stupid feature with Vista and static IP's on thursday. You can not assign the same static ip to a wired and wireless network connection. At work, when I am docked I was using a wired connection and wireless when not docked. Management has static IP's in order to connect to stuff that normal users on dynamic can not. Plus I can bypass our proxy servers. Stupid MS..

I am not a fan of MS. Forced bundling of software (IE), releasing an OS that should still be considered a beta (Millenium and Vista were horrible), WGA activation crap that caused major problems, etc.

I've never been a huge Mac fan either. I didn't care for the old MacOS. The new systems based on *nix are nice. If they came out with a 14 or 15" macbook tablet I would jump in a second.

Comment

• seabat
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Dec 2008
                    • Liberty Lake, WA

Originally posted by JoeyGee
                    Vista really isn't that bad. I think SP1 really fixed most of the issues people were having, which were/are compatibility issues. More wnet away after more drivers were released. If you get a LT, there's not really much hardware you will have to add on that you would have to worry about. Software is another issue .
                    My sons home computer has vista and all his gov't work computers do not and he cannot access Lotus Notes from home so he 'downgraded to XP Pro'.
                    There is always Ubuntu, which you could replace Windows with.
                    I'm looking at a new dell at the moment and they want $99 to downgrade to XP ... I'll do it myself and then install Ubantu and see if I can configure my DSL modem to it ...

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Independence, MO, USA.
                      • bt3100

Originally posted by crokett
                      Windows 7 is supposed to be released Octobor 2009, or so I've read. I don't think that is an official date though. After both XP and Vista missed multiple target dates I don't think Microsoft has officially announce one. I don't plan to run any Windows OS past XP.

What I originally heard, was Windows 7, was being touted as a replacement for Win CE and (ultra)portables (netbooks and the like). I believe after the Vista farce (Vista Ready, driver issues, etc) the need was felt for a full blown replacement.
                      Now I have Vista on my current laptop/netbook hybrid and it is supposed to have better battery life (by an hour), then XP (based on users of my system). I have a licensed XP and have been keeping my eye out for the full Vista that is on the system (preinstalled choice of either/both dvd's) so I can play with Vlite or Nlite. The reviews I have seen, compares them to Windows 7.
                      Now, this also came with a quickboot "os" (Linux on board). I've seen a lot more of this happening (not full versions), so the Windows tax is sticking around (and it is getting harder to find a nix netbook/laptop). I've been using Linux only for a decent bit. I still had one game that required Windows, and haven't played it for a LONG time (gen 2 out soon), so in this case, it worked out for me as a multiboot. But that said, besides the base Win OS, I tend to use only freeware/open source ware on Windows.
                      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• awillc
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Nov 2008

Windows 7 is the "replacement" for Vista. It is already out in Beta (I have it on my machine in a dual boot platform). It is much faster to start and shutdown than Vista and appears to be a much "tighter" build. The Beta version expires August 1, so I would expect to see something out by then.

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                          • Dec 2005
                          • Russell, NY, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3000

Just got a new Apple MacBook laptop. Love it along with the Mac G5 desktop I already had. Wife has a PC with XP, had to order it with that instead of Vista. Just had a wireless router put in (didn't have one before) now I can wander and still waste time. Ain't technology great!!
                          RuffSawn
                          Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• gsmittle
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2004
                            • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                            • BT 3100

Originally posted by L. D. Jeffries
                            Just got a new Apple MacBook laptop. Love it along with the Mac G5 desktop I already had. Wife has a PC with XP, had to order it with that instead of Vista. Just had a wireless router put in (didn't have one before) now I can wander and still waste time. Ain't technology great!!
                            It sure is! Nothing like sitting in the recliner in my jammies catching up on BT3Central posts!!

My wireless reaches all the way out to the shop, just in case I need to waste time out there... Of course, LOML says I'm wasting time out there, no matter what I'm doing.

g.
                            Smit

Bill & Ted

Comment

Working...