• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Woocraft Rant

The latest flyer from Woodcraft had the Wixey digital Angle Guage on sale for $29.99 ($10 off).

After work Saturday I made a run up to the Austin store to pick one up. About a 35 mile round trip from work the opposite way from home only to be told, not that they were out of stock, but that Woodcraft no longer carried the Wixey Angle Guage. Nothing in the flyer said anything about limited quantities or it being a closeout item.

Then I was shown a Tilt-Box Angle Guage that "is the same inside" as the Wixey at a slightly higer price, but not on sale.

Not sure about other states, but in Texas that is called a 'bait and switch' and is illegal. I put in a call to the San Antonio store and left a message to have Mike (the owner of the Austin, San Antonio, and either Dallas or Houston stores) to return my call.

Unless there is a VERY good offer of compensation for my wasted time and gas, the next move is to file a complaint with the Texas Attorney General. Further, I am sure I can find someplace else to spend my money!
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

Better Business Bureau, that's what we do when stuff like this happens. Dell did it to us over the holiday on our PS 3 purchase. Advertised one thing, tried to sell another, then we called them on it and were told they would charge the correct amount, and then charged the incorrect amount. Now they won't take our calls.

I feel for ya.
    Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

If you call the CS line at Woodcraft corporate, you will get their undivided attention. The stores are franchise operations, but corporate doesn't like it when a store hurts the corporate image. They will most likely put you on hold, and call the store right on the spot and negotiate a solution. This has worked for me twice before.

Comment

• tommyt654
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2008

I,ve always found its a good idea to call first to see if an item is in stock first before I make a long drive. Just seems to make more sense.

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by tommyt654
          I,ve always found its a good idea to call first to see if an item is in stock first before I make a long drive. Just seems to make more sense.
          I've done that at the Austin store with an item number to find out they "sold out" before I got there or got a line like "I thought this was what you meant".

The BBB is an option, but they have no real enforcement ability.

Since I was on my bike, gas is really a minor issue. What upsets me is that with Austin traffic I wasted an hour of my time. Any solution that doesn't include free shipping/delivery to my door is not acceptable. Making that trip any day other than Saturday would be closer to 2 hours lost.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• Red88chevy
            Established Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Midland, Texas.

If you don't hear back from the owner I'ld go ahead and file the complaint with the Attorney General. No reason to put up with that.

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by tommyt654

I'm with tommy on this one. I go a step further than just a phone call. I get the name of the person I talk to, make sure we're talking about the same item, and have him relay the item #, and even possibly hold it for the driving time with a credit card. Then, there's no "unfortunate" misunderstanding about which item.

Comment

• lago
                Established Member
                • Nov 2003
                • Lago Vista, TX.

I had a different problem with them a few months ago(at the Austin store also). I received their sale flyer and a week later, went to the store to get one of the items on sale. The price rang up as regular price and I questioned the clerk. I even had the flyer with me. He pointed out that the flyer was for next month. My bad. Anyhow, he still let me have the item on sale.

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Calling a retailer and asking them if they have item # blah, at least when dealing with Harbor Freight in Houston Metro area seems to be a moot point. I called all 3 Houston area HFs looking for the 2HP DC, when it was on sale, decided to go into the Pasadena TX store to get a rain check, and they had one in the stock room...

I figure the kids they have working there either don't want to look, or had the one I got set aside for somebody else that didn't show up when they said they would...
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• pelligrini
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • Fort Worth, TX
                    • Craftsman 21829

I've had nothing but good dealings with the Fort Worth store. From what I've read, a call to corporate should get you fixed up in no time.

I sent an email to our local store last year asking if they had a certain quantity of 5" double locking casters in stock. I got a reply shortly after saying they did have them. I told her that I'd probably stop by after lunch to pick them up. When I got there I was pulling the casters I wanted off the shelf and the sales lady asked if I had emailed about some earlier. She already had them boxed up for me behind the counter.
                    Erik

Comment

• Pappy
                      The Full Monte
                      • Dec 2002
                      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 (x2)

I sent the following e-mail to the Woodcraft Customer Service late Monday evening.

In your latest flyer the Wixey Digital Angle Gauge was listed on sale for $29.99 ($10 off). There was no mention of this being a clearance / closeout item, or quantities being limited.

After work Saturday, March 6, I went to the Austin store to purchase one. This is about a 35 mile, one hour, round trip in Austin traffic from work the opposite way from home only to be told, not that they were out of stock, but that Woodcraft no longer carries the Wixey Angle Gauge.

Then I was shown a Tilt-Box Angle Gauge that "is the same inside" as the Wixey, at a slightly higher price, but not on sale.

I put in a call to the San Antonio store Saturday evening after it was closed and left a message to have Mike (the owner of the Austin, San Antonio, and either Dallas or Houston stores) to return my call. I don't know if Mike got the message, but over a week later he has not contacted me.

Sales tactics like this, at least in Texas, are called 'bait and switch' and are illegal. At this time, I feel my only recourse is to report the incident to the Texas Attorney General's office and the Better Business Bureau.

This is not my first problem with the Austin store. I have gone there several times for a particular item and found it out of stock. I have even called the store on Saturday morning to check stock by item number before making the trip only to be told they sold out during the day or, "I thought you meant this, we are out of that one".

I do not intend to return to the local Woodcraft stores and, if I am forced to shop online, I will give my business to another vendor.

Don A. Griggs

I recieved this response this afternoon.

Mr. Griggs,

Let me thank you for taking the time to inform us of your experience in our Austin Woodcraft store. I do apologize for your inconvenience and for the fact that our employee did not take care of you on the spot. We strive to give the best customer service that we can but sometimes we do not make the wisest of decisions. I have also taken your experience and used it as a learning tool for all of the Austin employees.

Our customers are our only assets and we do not take our mistakes lightly. I told the store to contact you immediately and offer to send you a Tilt Box guage at no cost. All I can ask is that you give us another chance to serve your needs. We really hate to lose you as a customer.

As another note, our owner, Mike Sauder, is on vacation and most likely did not receive your message. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Rusty Fennell
                      GM Woodcraft in Texas

I haven't responded to Mr. Fennell yet, but the Assistant Manager of the Austin store had called me just after 10:00 this morning to let me know he had found a Wixey Gauge in the stockroom and wanted to know whether I wanted him to mail it to me or if I would rather have the Tilt Box gauge. When I asked him how he wanted to arrange payment, he told me there would be no charge. I told him the I would leave the decision of which unit to send to his discretion. He said that he feels the Tilt Box is more versatile because of magnets on 2 edges and I would recieve one either tomorrow or Friday.

Whether this would have been the same result without the complaint to corporate or not, I will give them another chance.
                      Last edited by Pappy; 03-18-2009, 10:34 PM.
                      Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• cgallery
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 2004
                        • Milwaukee, WI
                        • BT3K

And tell 'em you want the Wixey, I don't like the Tilt Box (yes, I have both, and I paid for both of mine, too. ).

Comment

• crokett
                          The Full Monte
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Mebane, NC, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3000

Good to know that Woodcraft is making good on it.
                          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                            The Full Monte
                            • May 2007
                            • Sunshine State
                            • BT3000

Originally posted by Pappy
                            Whether this would have been the same result without the complaint to corporate or not, I will give them another chance.
                            Every franchisee reacts in his own way, I'm sure, but the contact to corporate definitely sets the "motivators" into motion.

Comment

Working...