• Show
Clear All
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

Lost dog/cat?

One of my boys just got a new Beagle pup. When they went to the vet for the first visit, the vet gave him a small ribbon tag to put on her collar. It has a number on it. If the pet somehow gets lost, and someone finds it, they can find out who owns it by going to www.getmehome.com . Check out the site. It started when so many animals were displaced by Katrina.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/
  • stormdog74
    Established Member
    • Mar 2007
    • Sacramento, CA
    • Ridgid TS3650

This is nice, but I think it is better to microchip them - a tag or collar can easily come off.

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by stormdog74
      This is nice, but I think it is better to microchip them - a tag or collar can easily come off.
      Read in the local paper that 2 Counselmen were bringing this up at last night's meeting. Mandatory 'chipping' is part of a new pet ordinance about to take effect and they were getting a lot of flack from people.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

Originally posted by Pappy
        Read in the local paper that 2 Counselmen were bringing this up at last night's meeting. Mandatory 'chipping' is part of a new pet ordinance about to take effect and they were getting a lot of flack from people.
        I am entirely against any mandatory chipping of pets.

This is nothing different, in my opinion, than the inventor of the SawStop lobbying politicians to make SawStop technology (or something similar--yeah right) mandatory on new saws.

Comment

• jziegler
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2005
          • Salem, NJ, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100

The tag isn't a bad idea, but I'll agree with others, microchipping is probably a good idea too. All three of my dogs are chipped, the group we adopted from does it as part of the adoption process. Check out 24petwatch.com (they are the site that my adoption group registers through).

Thanks to being dogs from the racing industry, all three also have ear tatoos, which could help, but only if people know to look for them. Microchips really seem to be the best ID method now.

Jim

Comment

• JeffG78
            Established Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
            • BT3100

Ours pets are all microchipped, but I don't like how chips are propriatary. If a dog is found and taken to a vet or shelter to be checked for a chip, they have to have the scanner that comes from the company that sold the chip. Currently, there are many chip suppliers and they each have their own software. My wife found a dog and took it in to a vet to be scanned. The vet could tell it had a chip, but couldn't read it since they didn't work with that supplier. How many people that find a stray are going to run all over town trying to track down the owner? Heck, most people would never know to have it scanned unless they are pet owners themselves.

Comment

• Russianwolf
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
              • One of them there Toy saws

yeah, until there is a standard database, anything is kinda pointless.

But there was a dog reunited with the owner after 8 years due to his chip. Someone "stole" him I think.

Two of my dogs have tattoos (by the previous owner) which are nice since they are visible for all to see, but I would like to have them all chipped too.

As far as making them manditory? If the cost of the chipping were $100, I'd say no, but since the cost of chipping is rather small $15-20 + the vets charge for inserting it, I say why not.
              Mike
              Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                Veteran Member
                • May 2007
                • Tacoma, WA
                • BT3000

I think just putting your phone number on the pet is the best idea. It's quick and easy to contact the owner. It's not necessary to involve anyone else. If the finder has to jump through hoops to contact you they are likely to just call the pound people and be done with it. With your phone number on the animal it's easy to call the owner and effect a quick and easy return. To me the caller tag with a web address is just an unnecessary complication.

It's easy enough to stamp your number on to the license or rabies tag or to paint it on with nail polish or a sharpie. For cats use a white flea collar and carve the number into it with a water proof ball point pen.

Bill, that's my opinion and I'll stick with it until I change my mind.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

story in the bizzare news today how a German Shepherd pup lost 9 years ago was reunited with his family by the microchip implanted. Where the dog was for 9 years is a mystery.

I'm thinking a person picked up the dog and liking the dog made little or no effort to find the owners and then lost the dog 9 years later only to have it picked up and given to a Vet who traced the microchip. Or perhaps they tried but microchips were not that common 9 years ago and did not think to check.

just shows the best ID methods are only effective if the finder chooses to use them.
                  Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-04-2009, 12:04 PM.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jziegler
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2005
                    • Salem, NJ, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3100

What you say is true, but some of the readers can now read all of the common types of chips. There is a standard in other countries (An ISO standard exists), but here in the US, we do things our own way, so the ISO standard isn't used, and various proprietary standards are out there. It is still a relatively young technology, so I expect things will get better in time.

Jim

Originally posted by JeffG78
                    Ours pets are all microchipped, but I don't like how chips are propriatary. If a dog is found and taken to a vet or shelter to be checked for a chip, they have to have the scanner that comes from the company that sold the chip. Currently, there are many chip suppliers and they each have their own software. My wife found a dog and took it in to a vet to be scanned. The vet could tell it had a chip, but couldn't read it since they didn't work with that supplier. How many people that find a stray are going to run all over town trying to track down the owner? Heck, most people would never know to have it scanned unless they are pet owners themselves.

Comment

• jziegler
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2005
                      • Salem, NJ, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Bill,

You are right (and our dogs have tags with our phone number), but that's only good if the collar with the tags is still on. What about if the dog gets free and runs off by slipping out of its collar? It's not an uncommon situation for certain breeds. Microchips help in this case.

Jim

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
                      I think just putting your phone number on the pet is the best idea. It's quick and easy to contact the owner. It's not necessary to involve anyone else. If the finder has to jump through hoops to contact you they are likely to just call the pound people and be done with it. With your phone number on the animal it's easy to call the owner and effect a quick and easy return. To me the caller tag with a web address is just an unnecessary complication.

It's easy enough to stamp your number on to the license or rabies tag or to paint it on with nail polish or a sharpie. For cats use a white flea collar and carve the number into it with a water proof ball point pen.

Bill, that's my opinion and I'll stick with it until I change my mind.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2007
                        • Tacoma, WA
                        • BT3000

Originally posted by jziegler
                        Bill,

You are right (and our dogs have tags with our phone number), but that's only good if the collar with the tags is still on. What about if the dog gets free and runs off by slipping out of its collar? It's not an uncommon situation for certain breeds. Microchips help in this case.

Jim
                        Jim, you have a valid point. That is why our pets are also chipped.

bill

Comment

• JeffG78
                          Established Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
                          • BT3100

We learned something interesting when my wife found a stray dog with no collar and had its chip scanned at our vet. If you get your dog from the Humane Society, THEY are always registered on the chip as the contact (all AHS dogs are chipped before adoption). This doesn't sound like a problem except that if a dog is found and the AHS is called, they can (and do) refuse to return dogs to their owners due to careless behavior. Our vet told us this when LOML took the stray in. The vet warned against calling the AHS unless the owner could not be found by other means.

It turned out that the dog's collar broke while on a walk and the family was frantically looking for their dog. Luckily, my wife returned to the area where it was found and knocked on many doors before someone recognized the dog and directed my wife to the right house. The dog and owners were very happy to see each other.

Comment

• Ed62
                            The Full Monte
                            • Oct 2006
                            • NW Indiana
                            • BT3K

Several years ago, there was a concern that micro chipping might lead to cancer in animals. I'm guessing that possibility is no longer a concern?

Ed
                            Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• jziegler
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2005
                              • Salem, NJ, USA.
                              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by JeffG78
                              We learned something interesting when my wife found a stray dog with no collar and had its chip scanned at our vet. If you get your dog from the Humane Society, THEY are always registered on the chip as the contact (all AHS dogs are chipped before adoption). This doesn't sound like a problem except that if a dog is found and the AHS is called, they can (and do) refuse to return dogs to their owners due to careless behavior. Our vet told us this when LOML took the stray in. The vet warned against calling the AHS unless the owner could not be found by other means.
                              Probably not that uncommon. Our greyhound group does this as well. Their reasoning is that people move, change phone numbers, etc and never remember to update the registry. There are so many other things to change, this is easy to forget. I don't think they would refuse to return except in a clear case of neglect.

Jim

Comment

Working...