• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Extended warranty telemarketing rant.

I get telemarketing calls on my cell phone, which are annoying enough. But the problems are this...

#1. My cell phone is on the do not call list.
    #2. The incoming number is either spoofed, or withheld.
    #3. I have REPEATEDLY told these imbeciles that I have no interest in buying an extended warranty when they cannot tell me what vehicle they are calling about.

Yes I have started to answer the calls. If only to screw with the callers.

It is obvious this is being done by a scam organization, I am just not sure how to track down the scammers and throw the law at them...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Originally posted by dbhost
    Yes I have started to answer the calls. If only to screw with the callers.
    You have hit upon the solution. If you can't get rid of 'em, you may as well have some fun with 'em.

Comment

• JeffG78
      Established Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
      • BT3100

Luckily, they haven't gotten my number, but a guy I work with gets at least 5 of them a day. He called his provider and they said they couldn't stop them.

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by JeffG78
        Luckily, they haven't gotten my number, but a guy I work with gets at least 5 of them a day. He called his provider and they said they couldn't stop them.
        Then he should tell his provider he is switching to someone who can stop them. Chances are that will get some action.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Garasaki
          • Sep 2006

I get/got these too. Fortunately, they allegedly just placed the "last call to inform me about the extended warranty". I own 2 vehicles - a 97 honda accord and a 1990 dodge ram pickup. I'm quite sure my factory warranty is long gone on both.
          -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
          -Henry Blake

Comment

• sd
            Forum Newbie
            • Jul 2003

There is a new service called Trapcall that is supposed to be able to identify blocked numbers--see this Slashdot article. I'm not sure what, if anything, you can do about spoofed numbers. The company behind Trapcall also runs a spoofing service, so they can profit from both the telemarketers and those trying to avoid telemarketing calls.
            -- Steve

Comment

• jackellis
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2003
              • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
              • BT3100

The company behind Trapcall also runs a spoofing service, so they can profit from both the telemarketers and those trying to avoid telemarketing calls.
              Like the Telcos, they sell arms to both combatants. After seeing this earlier in the day I decided that when I have time, I'm going to mess with the callers by questioning their ethics. As it is, I barely have any patience with the legitimate callers.

Comment

Working...