• Show
Clear All
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Best Linux Flavor for Older LT?

I have a PII 366, 196 RAM laptop that I would like to try Linux on. I checked the min. requirements for Ubuntu, and it fits, but I don't ever want to run an OS on minimum reqs.

Any suggestions?
    Joe
  • bmyers
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2003
    • Fishkill, NY
    • bt 3100

You'll have to google DSL linux yourself. I can't post a link because the banned word filter wipes it out...

Bill
    "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• rjwaldren
      Established Member
      • Nov 2007
      • Fresno, CA

The big hitch will be whether you need a window manager or not. If your okay with the console or just a lightweight desktop like XFCE, fluxbox, ICEWM you can use a recent distro. Just rip out the default gnome KDE/Gnome desktops. If you want a desktop try Xubuntu which is the Ubuntu release that defaults to XFCE, see how it performs. If that doesn't perform to your liking you'll need to go into the archives for earlier releases or a mini distro like D*** Small Linux.

If you have experience and a specific purpose in mind my personal favorite would be Linuxfromscratch. With LFS you can build from source exactly what you want and optimize it for your hardware. There's a learning curve there but I have A MythTV box that can't be touched performance-wise by a distro.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

Look up Distrowatch and go play. I've played around with different lightweight distro's but my primary machine handles full ones fine, so I tend to set up older machines with whatever function, and leave them. D@mnsmallLinux, is the dsl one mentioned, Peanut Linux, is another. Xbuntu, if you like Ubuntu, I believe SimplyMephis is relatively small. One I would like to see more focus back into, is Gentoo. Linux can be small or large, and you can roll your own, but Gentoo's Emerge, made it seem like it was headed towards user friendliness, once they dropped the build it yourself requirements.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

There is TinyLinux. I used it once years go on an old 386 that was a linux firewall. It might be a bit primitive though.
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

If you leave out a lot of the 3D stuff, even KDE / Gnome desktops should be acceptable with those specs...

I have CentOS 5 running on an old AMD K6-2 I guess it is clocked at 400mhz, with 256MB RAM with a 40GB WD HDD that I set my Mom up with to do email, web browsing, and basic home office functions. It's fine...

The RAM specs you list are kind of low.... But you know that by now.
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...