• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Geeks-Please Save Me

LOML just got an Ipod Touch 2nd gen. We have Linksys wireless G router. When she tries to get online the Ipod asks for a password. The display shows that our network is locked. We have a laptop that gets a signal OK, and a desktop that is wired to the router, and another desktop that has a wireless antenna attached.

The Ipod is asking for a password or key (wep key), a 10 hex digit. If she supplied a password when installing the original router...she can't remember what it is, and can't find it in any of the Linksys paperwork.

How can she find the Linksys password?
    Last edited by cabinetman; 02-11-2009, 09:52 PM.
  • Mr__Bill
    Veteran Member
    • May 2007
    • Tacoma, WA
    • BT3000

You should be able to access the router with your desktop and then in the utilities see what the phrase that was used to generate the WAP key.

Most likely you need to go to http://192.168.1.1/ but, you may need a user name and password to access the utility.
    I think it comes with no username and the password of Admin, or perhaps just no username and no password.

Linksys also has a utility that is installed on the desktop or laptop called Linksys Easy Link Advisor.
    With it you can get the router password, it's listed under network settings. The browser based utility is much faster and I think allows you to access more features. If you did not install LELA you can install it now from the CD that came with the router or download it from the net.

Good luck.

Bill
    Last edited by Mr__Bill; 02-11-2009, 09:21 PM.

Comment

• cabinetman
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
      You should be able to access the router with your desktop and then in the utilities see what the phrase that was used to generate the WAP key.

Most likely you need to go to http://192.168.1.1/ but, you may need a user name and password to access the utility.

Linksys also has a utility that is installed on the desktop or laptop called Linksys Easy Link Advisor.

Good luck.

Bill

We tried that address and could not access the site, using both Firefox, and IE. When she went to Linksys Easy Link Advisor, it said the internet connection might be interrupted. She decided not to risk losing the signal. Thanks for the help. If you think of anything further don't hesitate.

Comment

• viking4949
        Forum Newbie
        • Jan 2008
        • Northwest Indiana
        • Craftsman 22811

Mine has the wep written on a small lable on the bottom of the router, turn it over and look, maybe that easy...maybe not.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

the WEP key is installed in your router. It must also be installed in all your computers using that wireless link. Obviously its something you should have written down and saved so you could add to your network. Failing this, you may or may net be able to get it back.

Usually the wireless networking setup in your PC will not show the WEP key since this is a security risk for someone browsing thru your PC.

The router will show it. But, you have to log into the Web page setup on your browser. usually this is 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. (Your router manual will tell you what this default address is.) Once you get that page on your browser, the router web control ususally has a user name and password which should have been changed from the factory default. Once you enter that you can go to the wireless setup and probably see the WEP key.

Now, if you don't know the router user name and PW (This security prevents someone accessing your network and reading or changing your security), the you can try the factory set user an PW (you'll find this in the manual if you have it or look up the manual on-line) if you never changed it (poor security practice) and if you set it but forgot it, then tough luck. You may have to resort to the master reset switch on the router that clears all settings to the factory setting and then use the factory user and PW to set up your networking parameters and enter a new WEP key, and then set all the other computers on the network, and this time make a note of the WEP! Basically this involves setting up the network from scratch.

P.S.
          I looked on line at the Linksys WRT54G2 wireless router G user guide and it (and probably all other Linksys routers of recent manufacture) use the defaults:
          Web setup page 192.168.1.1
          user (blank)
          pw admin
          all of which can be changed BTW once it is the setup is entered. If unchanged or you reset to factory then the above should work.
          Since the above is widely known info, and thus an easy target to take control of your network when accessed, most often the latter two should be changed also when the WEP is set.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-12-2009, 08:09 AM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• OpaDC
            Established Member
            • Feb 2008
            • Pensacola, FL
            • Ridgid TS3650

try 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.10.1 also. If this doesn't work look cmd from dos prompt then ipconfig /all to see router and wireless IP. Then you should be able to get into router.

second star to the right and straight on til morning

Comment

• cabinetman
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by viking4949
              Mine has the wep written on a small lable on the bottom of the router, turn it over and look, maybe that easy...maybe not.

My wife is the culprit here. She's the one that got into computers...not me. I would have been happy with walkie talkies. Anyway, she is into all the gadgetry and since last weekend has had this problem and has been trying to figure it out. Well, last night after she got tucked into bed, I told her about your suggestion and she jumped out of bed to go look. She is sorta blond, and thought that it was too simple.

There were several labels on the bottom, and after using a magnifying glass figured out that there weren't any 10 digit configurations. A few had leading zeros, but she was too tired at that point to go try them out. So this morning I Goggled "wepkey" and it brought out many sites with headings like "Did you forget your wepkey?"

So, tonight we'll be doing the tutorials and see what happens. I'll post the results even if she pulls out all her hair.

Comment

• x00018
                Forum Newbie
                • Mar 2006
                • Cranberry Twp, PA
                • Sears BT3000 Clone

Reset switch

My router has a reset switch to reset it to factory defaults. It is a small hole on the back that I use a paper clip to access. In default mode access to the router is wide open to everything.

Comment

• cabinetman
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Originally posted by x00018
                  My router has a reset switch to reset it to factory defaults. It is a small hole on the back that I use a paper clip to access. In default mode access to the router is wide open to everything.

That's interesting news. She might just try that first when she gets home. So, a new password would have to be entered if that is done?

BTW, my second wife must have had one of those reset switches activating a default mode.

Comment

• x00018
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Mar 2006
                    • Cranberry Twp, PA
                    • Sears BT3000 Clone

Reset switch

You would need to set up a new password and wep keys if you want to keep unwanted folks off your wireless router but that will give HER a chance to write them down and tape them to the router for next time.
                    You did say she was "semi-blonde"!

Comment

• shoottx
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2008
                      • Plano, Texas
                      • BT3000

GO to the Linksys site it has great tools for sorting out all of this stuff. The only challenge is to have the primary computer hard wired to the router for good info and security measures.
                      Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• skillybob
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Feb 2006
                        • Cedar Park, Texas
                        • BT3100

I have the Linksys WRT54G router If I go to web address http://192.168.1.1/
                        it brings up a window with a user and password entry . If you did not change anything (which is often the case) the user and password will be ADMIN ADMIN.
                        Try this out . If you get in you will be in geek heaven with all the settings and options. Once you have changed everything to your liking , you may want to change the user and password for your router from the default. And write it down somewhere for future use! I would recommend that your main computer be hardwired in to the router if possible . That is what we have at our home. Any additional computers (we have 3) are using the wireless hookups . Good luck!

Comment

• just started
                          • Mar 2008
                          • suburban Philly

If you default the router you will have to set all the computers to new passphrase you set in the router also.

Comment

Working...