• pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

School in 1957 VS 2008

SCHOOL -- 1957 vs. 2008
    Scenario 1:
    Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.
    1957 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.
    2008 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario 2:
    Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.
    1957 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.
    2008 - Police called and SWAT team arrives -- they arrest both Johnny and Mark. They are both charged with assault and both expelled, even though Johnny started it.

Scenario 3:
    Jeffrey will not be still in class, he disrupts other students.
    1957 - Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good paddling by the Principal. He then returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.
    2008 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for A.D.D. The school gets extra money from the state because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario 4:
    Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.
    1957 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman.
    2008 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologist is told by Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Scenario 5:
    Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.
    1957 - Mark shares his aspirin with the Principal out on the smoking dock.
    2008 - The police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. His car is then searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario 6:
    Pedro fails high school English.
    1957 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English and goes to college.
    2008 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against the state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English is then banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario 7:
    Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up a red ant bed.
    1957 - Ants die.
    2008 - ATF, Homeland Security and the FBI are all called.. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. The FBI investigates his parents -- and all siblings are removed from their home and all computers are confiscated. Johnny's dad is placed on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario 8:
    Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.
    1957 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.
    2008 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.
    Erik
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

you know, I think you're right.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• BobSch
      • Aug 2004
      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
      • BT3100

In the current sue-happy society in which we live what else can you expect?
      Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• RAFlorida
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2008
        • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
        • Ryobi BT3000

Some may laugh. But there's truth

in that post. Back in the 50s, kids learned how to become good kids. Now EVERYBODY ends up being victims and criminals. What happened? (as if that question needs to be asked.)

Comment

• Ed62
          The Full Monte
          • Oct 2006
          • NW Indiana
          • BT3K

That's really not far from the truth. But.....
          Originally posted by pelligrini

Scenario 3:

1957 - Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good paddling by the Principal.
          I actually had a teacher who had a paddle with holes drilled in it so it would hurt more when it was used. I saw him break that paddle in half when he hit one of the boys across the back with it. And he got away with it. There's no way it would happen today.

Ed
          Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

In the 50's, discipline was administered both in schools and at home. Children then would never with fear of their lives call the police. Somehow, believe it or not, at least with me, there was parental respect.

See, I turned out OK...well sort of.

Comment

• jackellis
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2003
              • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
              • BT3100

In the 7th grade, I watched a couple of my friends get several licks for doing something stupid.

On the other hand, I became a "parent" at the age of 10 (oldest child in a one parent family) and the only way I knew how to deal with my younger siblings was not the best way.

Comment

• Knottscott
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Rochester, NY.
                • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

....Funny AND "sad but true".
                Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• radhak
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • Miramar, FL
                  • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

not just a joke :
                  18 Students arrested after brawl At South Broward High School

and if you read the follow-up, you get a sense the newspaper is irked that the students are not expressing excessive reaction.
                  It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                  - Aristotle

Comment

• jhart
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                    • BT3100

Originally posted by Ed62

I actually had a teacher who had a paddle with holes drilled in it so it would hurt more when it was used. I saw him break that paddle in half when he hit one of the boys across the back with it. And he got away with it. There's no way it would happen today.

Ed
                    Went to a Christian Brothers school in H.S. One of them had what he called his "board of education" paddle that was very similar to what you described. It did the trick for keeping his class room on the straight and narrow.
                    Joe
                    "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• JeffG78
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
                      • BT3100

Originally posted by Ed62

Ed
                      We had a woodshop teacher in 7th grade that had a 2x4 paddle with holes drilled in it. He actually carried it around everyday during class and he was more than happy to use it. Most kids had no problem with this because he was mainly concerned about shop safety. He made it very clear that anybody caught screwing around or not following shop safety rules would be taught a lesson.

Other than a few red butts, we had no shop injuries and everybody learned that woodshop tools are potentially dangerous and should be used with extreme care.

This list is funny, but every scenario has truth in it. America will continue to lose ground on the world until it learns to stop whining.

Comment

• stocktr8er
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Midland, TX
                        • BT3000

You missed in Scenario 8 - recess gets cancled so no one else risks failing and hurting themselves.

My 6 year old son loves to play "wall ball". You know a pack of kids, a tennis ball, and a wall. Drop the ball or let it bounce too many times you have to run to the wall before someone throws the ball and hits the wall. I played it as a kid. Just last week, someone got hit by the tennis ball - now no more wall ball at recess. I believe it was a parent complaint becasue their child got hurt.
                        Curtis

Comment

• JeffG78
                          Established Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
                          • BT3100

Back in the early 70's when I was in gradeschool, we played tackle football at recess with no pads or helmets. We would get bumps and bruises and very dirty, but that was considered good clean recess fun.

When we didn't feel like playing real football, a brutal game of smear the queer was in order. Somehow, I don't think that would fly today

I read recently that some schools are going as far as removing jump ropes from gym class and playing "air jump rope" instead. Since not all kids are coordinated enough to jump rope, it isn't fair. By pretending to use a rope, everybody can play and nobody feels left out. What's going to happen when these people get out into the real world and face real rejection?

Comment

• 3thumbs
                            Established Member
                            • Oct 2008
                            • Northern Colorado
                            • Delta 10" contractor saw/cast wings

When I was in school in the fifties and sixties, our principal had one of those boards with the holes in it, labeled "The board of education" I got the business end of it a few times, and when my folks found out about it, I got some more at home!

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
                              • Nov 2004
                              • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
                              • Delta Contractor Saw

Originally posted by jhart
                              Went to a Christian Brothers school in H.S. One of them had what he called his "board of education" paddle that was very similar to what you described. It did the trick for keeping his class room on the straight and narrow.
                              In my case that would be Mr. Parks with the drilled paddle. I grew up in a very small town (pop 1100) and when you got paddled, the principal made sure your parents knew it. Then when you got home, you got it again.

Comment

Working...