• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Cell Phone Help

LOML has a Motorola RAZR and a Motorola Bluetooth wireless earpiece. She has our house phone on a one number speed dial. When she's away from home, her phone dials our home phone whenever it wants to. When I answer the phone her number shows on my caller ID, and there's just a dial tone.

What's the problem?
  • BerniePA
    Established Member
    • Nov 2007
    • San Tan Valley, AZ
    • Grizzly 0575

I would make an assumption that she carries the phone loose in her purse. I would have her take it off the speed dial or at least get it onto a double digit number and two digits that are far apart like 19 or 20 but not 11 or 22 etc. What might be happening is something pressing against the phone, even though it night be closed, and tripping off the single digit that is your speed dial number. Try changing it and see it it cures the problem, my daughter used to do this only it didn't hang up and we could hear conversation from the inside of her purse on occassion.
    Bernie

Owww -- That spinnin' thang hurt!!

Comment

• RayintheUK
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2003
      • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
      • Ryobi BT3000

If it is the problem as suggested by BerniePA the easiest way to prevent it is to lock the keypad. There's usually a simple process (Menu+# for example) which doesn't prevent incoming calls and uses the same keystrokes to clear to make a call. Some cells have voice dialling and I'm sure that a locked keypad doesn't interfere with that either. YMMV

Ray.
      Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• BobSch
        • Aug 2004
        • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
        • BT3100

I would make an assumption that she carries the phone loose in her purse.

That's what was causing our new garage door to open on its own — My wife's opener was in her purse and if she rummaged around the door would occasionally trip. Took us a while to figure it out.

As far as the cellphone, I'm a bit surprised that all you get is a dialtone. If her phone was causing it, it would still be off-hook when you answered, not a dial tone.
        Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

one, the Razr is a flipfone so the keypad IS protected from inadvertant speed dial. If her phone is dialing you and it appears it is because her ID appears on your home phone, I don't understand why you get a DIAL TONE.

The only way her phone would dial yours is she could be activating voice commanded dialing form the BT earpiece, in which case the phone might be picking up sounds which it interprets as voice dialing.

Turn off he BT for a while and see if that's part of the equation.
          So, turn off voivce dialing in her cell phone for your number - you have to delete the voice ID.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

Don't pay your home phone bill... The problem will go away by itself.

Comment

• jonmulzer
              • Dec 2007
              • Indianapolis, IN

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
              Don't pay your home phone bill... The problem will go away by itself.
              Great minds think alike!! The simplest solution always works for me.
              "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• cabinetman
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

OK, here's some more details. The onset is her hearing a beeping from the earpiece. Then two different scenarios could happen.

The first is when she hears the beeping, she immediately shuts it off, and by the time I answer the house phone I hear a dial tone.

The second scenario, is she hears a beeping. The house phone rings and she is on the other end, but she didn't hear the phone ringing.

She doesn't have the voice activation enabled.

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Sorry I didn't see this post earlier. I have a Razr, and Loring is correct, it is a flip phone. I also have a bluetooth headset w/no voice dial activated but have not had this problem.

When she has this problem, is she wearing the headset or is it rattling around in her purse? When she hears the beeping, is there a pattern to the beeps? Something to look up in the owners manual (like maybe the battery needs recharging) How often does this happen? Is it only with the headset?
                  David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cabinetman
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Originally posted by crokett
                    Sorry I didn't see this post earlier. I have a Razr, and Loring is correct, it is a flip phone. I also have a bluetooth headset w/no voice dial activated but have not had this problem.

When she has this problem, is she wearing the headset or is it rattling around in her purse? When she hears the beeping, is there a pattern to the beeps? Something to look up in the owners manual (like maybe the battery needs recharging) How often does this happen? Is it only with the headset?

She is wearing the headset, and there may be two to three beeps. It happens only with the headset, and she thinks that it's fully charged when this occurs.

Comment

• crokett
                      The Full Monte
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Mebane, NC, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

If it only happens with the headset, then my guess is it is the headset. Does she wear glasses or similar that might press a button on the headset? Confirm on the phone settings that voice dial is not activated. After that, try another headset and see if it still happens.
                      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• radhak
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2006
                        • Miramar, FL
                        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

The LOML has a Motorola KRZR, and we had the exact same problem.
                        It is the headset, but my take was that it was not due to any button pressing : it's the bluetooth 'waking' up and trying to reconnect after a drop in signal. I was never sure if it dialled the last number called, or the speed dial, but I saw the same symptoms. It even happened when she was home and the phone was in her purse.

It bugged her so much that she stopped using the bluetooth, sort of threw away the headset. I would have wanted to experiment with it a bit more, but she's not patient enough for that .

So unfortunately I do not have a fix for it. But you might want to take it to the shop for checkup. They should have seen something like it before. I'd be interested in it myself. Come to think of it, I think I'll dig that headset out and re-try it with my phone (Motorola W135, similar to the RAZR/KRZR).
                        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                        - Aristotle

Comment

Working...