Clear All
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

What would you do? (EBAY)

Situation:
    I sold a set of 4 drink glasses on EBAY. These glasses are no longer made by the company. I state in the listing that I am not responsible for shipping damage so buy insurance for $1.70. I also state that I do not allow returns.

so guess what:
    Someone bought the glasses and the insurance, I shipped them, one got broken. The post office refunded 1/4 of the purchase price to the buyer.

Now the buyer says they really needed the set of 4 (I don't blame them) and have no use for 3 glasses. They want to return the glasses.

I am currently standing my ground on my policies but told them I am trying to work with them and pointed them toward a website that sells singles. They are not too interested in that route.

I am standing my ground on principle but I could allow them to return the glasses and I'd still be a few dollars ahead. I also believe I could sell the remaining glasses as singles and still come out ahead. Non-EBAY sites sell these as singles for about half of what I sold the entire set for.

What would you do?
    Last edited by Tom Slick; 01-18-2009, 07:13 PM.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

I'm soft. I'd take them back - insured, of course - and sell them as singles. Yes, a pain in the butt.
    Blessings,
    Chiz

Comment

• sparkeyjames
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Redford MI.
      • Craftsman 21829

Deal is a deal. Insurance paid for the loss. The glasses are theirs. Do not take them back.

Jim

Comment

• gsmittle
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • St. Louis, MO, USA.
        • BT 3100

On one hand, you clearly stated "no returns". On the other hand, accepting the return may prevent some negative feedback and general bad karma. On the gripping hand, () what's to prevent the owner from smashing them to bits and shipping the bits back to you, claiming damage in transit?

It's a dilemma...

g.
        Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
        Bill & Ted

Comment

• jackellis
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
          • BT3100

The challenge when shipping glassware (or any similarly fragile item) via USPS, Fedex or UPS is packing the stuff so it won't break unless a truck runs over it. All it takes is enough shock-absorbing material (foam, styrofoam peanuts, balloon bags, newspaper...).

I'd take the glasses back.

Comment

• Tom Slick
            Veteran Member
            • May 2005
            • sears BT3 clone

It is quite the dilemma but you guys have helped. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't way off base.
            I decided that because I will not be at a loss at the end of the transaction I'll take them back, with insurance of course. It outweighs the potential bad karma/rating. I am not pleased with the buyers actions though.
            Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

I would not have taken them back. It was clearly spelled out to the buyer that you don't give refunds or do returns. If he/she were concerned about it then he/she should never have bid on the glasses.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                The Full Monte
                • May 2007
                • Sunshine State
                • BT3000

Ask the "buyer" if he had broken the glass while washing it, would he have then thrown out the other three? That is the position he is trying to take. The idea that 3 glasses have no value is ludicrous. You sold him 4 glasses. Now he has 3 and a check. He has been compensated.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • On the TARDIS
                  • BT 3100

Think of it this way. If you bought something and even though the policy was well stated, something didn't really jive on your end and you were unhappy with the whole deal( even though the vendor wasn't at fault). Now the vendor said "no problem, we want to see you happy so we will go the extra mile and fix it up for you". Wouldn't you feel really good about that vendor? You would be telling all of us about the great customer service.
                  From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• herb fellows
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • New York City
                    • bt3100

I HAVE NEVER BEEN A SELLER ON EBAY. However, there is something that goes on there that I don't understand. Many times, a seller will have a price, then say shippinig is xxx and insurance, IF YOU WANT IT, is extra.
                    Why would the buyer have to pay insurance at all? As a buyer, it is my take that it is the sellers responsibility to get the item to me intact. If the seller says they will only ship it insured, that's fine, I understand that.

If you bought something from a store, or any on line store for that matter, took it home and opened it and it was broken, you would return it and the store would take it back. The store doesn't require that you buy special insurance in case the item is broken when you open the packqage. Why do sellers on ebay think their situation should be different from any other seller?
                    My 2 cents, I will not buy anything that has that as part of the deal.
                    You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• crokett
                      The Full Monte
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Mebane, NC, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Richard in Smithville
                      Think of it this way. If you bought something and even though the policy was well stated, something didn't really jive on your end and you were unhappy with the whole deal( even though the vendor wasn't at fault). Now the vendor said "no problem, we want to see you happy so we will go the extra mile and fix it up for you". Wouldn't you feel really good about that vendor? You would be telling all of us about the great customer service.
                      True. But I also wouldn't be moaning about poor customer service if whatever was wrong was excluded by their policy. If I didn't like their policy I wouldn't buy from them.

Herb, the difference is the store you buy from easily replace it. If I sell you something on Ebay, chances are it is the only one of whatever it is I have. It is up to you to buy insurance if you want it. If you don't, my only guarantee is when I put it in the box, it is in working order. Suppose you receive it, it is broken, and you want your money back. If I give you the refund I am out whatever it was I sold you and no money to show for it. However, if it is insured, then I get the money from the shipping co and I give you a refund. If you decline the insurance you are betting it will arrive intact. I may suggest you insure it but won't pay for it for you.
                      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Tom Slick
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2005
                        • sears BT3 clone

I see your point but the buyer can elect which shipping they'd like to use. UPS includes insurance up to $100, USPS does not. If a person wants to save $2 and chance it then that is their choice.

If you bought something from a store then hired someone not affiliated with the store to deliver it and they damaged would it still be the store's fault? Most companies will not cover shipping damage, it is not unique to EBAY.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

meet him halfway, offer to pay 1/2 the cost of his buying a single replacement glass on ebay. Save you a lot of trouble.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA
                          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Knottscott
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2004
                            • Rochester, NY.
                            • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

You stated your policy clearly. Unless the breakage was due to poor packaging, you have no further obligation to the buyer. They could sell them individually a make a few dollars too....
                            Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Alex Franke
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2007
                              • Chapel Hill, NC
                              • Ryobi BT3100

You're not obligated to take them back, but it would be good customer service to try to work out a solution that makes everyone happy -- especially if you do a lot of business on ebay.

I think it would depend some on the price they paid, the shipping costs, and the cost of replacement, but I would probably start by offering a partial refund to help cover maybe 50%, 75% (their actual loss), or 100% the cost of a replacement glass, excluding the cost of shipping. If that's not acceptable, or if it's too much trouble, then just take them all back for a full refund, less shipping/insurance costs.

People prefer to do business with reasonable and flexible sellers, not those who play hard by the rules. (Sellers prefer this, too, so if the buyer is being an unreasonable jerk, then I would consider offering little or nothing a all.) There's a huge karma/praise/referral/feedback value for successfully resolving a dispute, and there can be an equally large cost if you don't.
                              online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                              while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                              "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

Working...