• Show
Clear All
  • Richard in Smithville
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • On the TARDIS
    • BT 3100

Multiple Mistakes Or....

the same one ten times! Boy do I feel like a dufus!. I was making some shelf brackets so I figured a template for routering would be a good idea. Even better would be to locate the pilot holes. Or would have been if I didn't locate two pilot holes half an inch too low. And had I realized this mistake before drilling the brackets I would not have been pluging holes with 3/16 dowel this afternoon. Oh well, learn from my mistakes.
    From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Richard in Smithville
    the same one ten times! Boy do I feel like a dufus!. I was making some shelf brackets so I figured a template for routering would be a good idea. Even better would be to locate the pilot holes. Or would have been if I didn't locate two pilot holes half an inch too low. And had I realized this mistake before drilling the brackets I would not have been pluging holes with 3/16 dowel this afternoon. Oh well, learn from my mistakes.

tem·plate also tem·plet (tmplt)
    n. 1. A pattern or gauge, such as a thin wood or metal plate with a cut pattern, used as a guide in in woodworking for replicating mistakes rapidly, repeatedly and efficiently.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-11-2009, 03:37 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I really like your dictionary Loren! Right on!
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

A template is a $5 word. How 'bout a simple pencil and paper sketch? You might just catch the error before making that "template".

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by cabinetman
          A template is a $5 word. How 'bout a simple pencil and paper sketch? You might just catch the error before making that "template".
          Not always. On the kitchen bench project I made a plan (one of the very few I've done) and carried a measurement error all the way through the project.
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • On the TARDIS
            • BT 3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
            That's where I made the first mistake. Then when I glued the drawing to the hardboard for my template...well, the rest is history.
            From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...