• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Prosecuting Children

There's been many recent cases where teenagers and those under teen age commit crimes from simple assault and theft to murder. Whether they are charged as juveniles or adults depends on many factors as mentioned here.

It's unfortunate that the crime could have been just bad judgment by a child, or a pre-meditated act. That's got to be a tough call to make. What are your thoughts on decisions like this.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

I think it all depends on the child. I think the concept that because a person hits the magic number of 18 does not make them an adult any more than somebody that puts a ring on is married. (Does a Superbowl ring make the wearer married?) it's an arbitrary line... I have known 15 year olds that are FAR more mature than some 40 year olds I know...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Gator95
      Established Member
      • Jan 2008
      • Atlanta GA
      • Ridgid 3660

Think a lot depends on the crime and how it was done. It really has to be decided on a case-by-case basis IMHO.

Comment

• Larrysch
        Forum Newbie
        • Dec 2008
        • Idaho
        • Ridgid

I agree that it depends on the crime - but - that being said - I feel that any crime deserves a just punishment. The days of the "slap on the hands" should be gone forever. Being in the law enforcement field for 21 years - I have seen it all - and with that experience - dealing with the same kids from age 12 to 18 - and some of the same kids for that period of time - if something or someone would have entered into the picture - I am sure some of these kids could have been save. As was stated - Prosecutors can make the decision of the charges to be filed or dropped. The mistake the most Prosecutors make is to drop the charges because of the child's age. That is one reason there are so many kids that repeat or go on to do more serious crimes. They got away with it the first, second, and third time. There was no punishment in the picture for them - so they were not hurt in anyway and in any form.

My greatest joy was a young man that I had worked with many times - and the prosecutors had let off every single time. Whether it was because of his age - his parents being powerful in the community or what I do not know. This young man's last actions was to shoot a Hispanic male in the face with a high power handgun. He did not give it a second thought - when I arrested him - and on the way in the patrol vehicle to his destination - he looked around and said "why aren't we going to the juvenile detention center." My answer was - when was your birthday - he said - two days ago - and I said and your age now - 18? I said we waited to arrest you (four days) as you are now an adult and your going to jail and probably prison for a very long time. He went nuts - his parents went nuts - now he is doing 10 to 15 years in the Idaho State prison. Had something been done by the prosecutor earlier in his life of crime - we probably would not of had to deal with this young man - as we had to. YES - there should be punishment for any crime commited by a child - let them know what their action will NOT be tolerated in to days society. As the prison bus has written on it " Don't do the crime - if you do not want to do the time".
        Last edited by Larrysch; 01-07-2009, 12:03 PM.
        Larry

"I do not remember my mistakes - my wife does that for me"

Comment

• Ed62
          The Full Monte
          • Oct 2006
          • NW Indiana
          • BT3K

I think Larry hit the nail squarely on the head. It seems there are a lot more violent crimes committed by kids than there used to be. I suppose most of them have some sort of gang influence.

Ed
          Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• just started
            • Mar 2008
            • suburban Philly

It's a much wider problem than just juvenile crime. It is a society wide problem of no one being responseable for their own actions - spill hot coffee in your lap while driving, it's not your own fault, sue the fast food chain because the coffee is hot - bump into a sign post because you are too busy talking on your cell phone to watch where you are walking, sue the property owner because there wasn't a guard rail around the sign post - and on and on and on.

Comment

• billwmeyer
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Weir, Ks, USA.
              • BT3000

I don't know if there is more child crime, or that the media sensationalizes it. It used to be that a crime involving a child was hushed. I am not saying that is right or wrong, just thinking that it is reported much more.

I have heard of cases of 8 year olds being tried as adults. I just don't believe that is right.There is a boy from Joplin, MO that I think was 14 when he tried to shoot his school principal. He shot into the ceiling, then tried to aim at the principal and the gun jammed. He is being tried as an adult. Of course as long as this has dragged on, he will be 18 before he goes on trial. Should he be tried as an adult? I really don't know, but I have a grandson that age, and he is very mature for his age. Of course he is old enough to know right from wrong, and he would never even think of something like that. I sure wouldn't classify him as an adult though.

Bill
              "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

Working...