X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smorris
    • Apr 2003
    • Tampa, Florida, USA.

I use my muffs wherever I'm using anything louder than the drill press. I just wish I could find a set my Ipod could connect to.
    --
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• Slik Geek
      • Dec 2006
      • Lake County, Illinois
      • Ryobi BT-3000

Originally posted by Richard in Smithville
      Being in an industrial environment I have been heavily involved in education and training regarding hearing protection. I can tell you that shudden, sharp bursts of noise can cause just as much damage to your ear as prolonged sound.
      I have been known to wear ear muffs when using a hammer, particularly indoors. I wear ear protection with almost all power tools - to the point that I got so used to them I feel "exposed" if I walk up to the miter saw without ear protection.

I even wear ear protection (most of the time) with a corded drill - it's loud and usually near one of my ears so I prefer the noise reduction.

Even still, with all of this protection, age is a contributing factor. I've noticed in the past few years that my high frequency hearing is mostly gone.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

Originally posted by smorris
        I use my muffs wherever I'm using anything louder than the drill press. I just wish I could find a set my Ipod could connect to.
        Peltor worktunes!
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Tom Slick
          Veteran Member
          • May 2005
          • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
          • sears BT3 clone

I have a common background with Texas Splinter although I did show some hearing loss when young and invincible. Now I wear good quality ear muffs or reusable "tree" style ear plugs. a $20 pair of ear muffs do work substantially better than $8 muffs and they are more comfortable so you are more likely to leave them on. I've found cheap PPE leads to PPE that people "can't stand" wearing.

elvex maxi-muff are the absolute best muffs I've used. I also have peltor race-tunes which are also great.
          Last edited by Tom Slick; 01-03-2009, 04:33 PM.
          Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

Working...