Clear All
  • Richard in Smithville
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • On the TARDIS
    • BT 3100

Hearing Protection

So who uses it? What do you use?

I have worked in industrial settings most of my working life. It has been loud and for the longest time I thought I was indestructable. Never wore PPE if it wasn't required by the company. Now I have tinitus. So to keep it from getting worse( or to slow it down) I will wear ear plugs from the time I walk into work until I leave for home.

I have carried this practice into the shop. I always wore heavy muff style protection when the tool were going. Fast forward to this last year, I have found that I am extra sensitive to loud noise. I think it's from being used to having the noise muffled for eight hours out of the day. So now I wear the yellow, roll-up expanding plugs as soon as I walk into the shop and I still use the muffs when the power tools start. I know too many people( FIL for example) who have serious hearing loss already but still won't wear any protection around loud environments.
    From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/
  • germdoc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Omaha, NE
    • BT3000--the gray ghost

I already have tinnitus from years of listening to loud music, also possibly genetic.

I am pretty fanatical about hearing protection, sometimes wear Smith and Wesson earmuffs, or more commonly ZEM earplugs: http://www.woodcraft.com/product.asp...&FamilyID=5488

I have been thinking I might need Bose nose-cancelling headphones, though.

I am appalled by people who operate power tools or heavy equipment without hearing protection. They don't know what they will be missing in 20-30 years...
    Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
      • Dec 2005
      • Russell, NY, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Kinda like seat belts; I always put on ear muffs no matter what machine I'm running, with the exception of a drill/driver and LOL hand tools!
      RuffSawn
      Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

I have a bad case of tinnitus, and so does LOML. I guess she could have been affected by just coming to the shop to hang around or help. I didn't use any hearing protection for too many years. IMO, routers are the worst, and trim routers at the top of the router list.

But, I'll say my 357 makes a good bit of noise, more than a M60 or 50 cal.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Independence, MO, USA.
          • bt3100

I have some cheapy a/o safety from HF. I also (somewhere) have some shooting goggles.

These all pretty much sit around since I got a deal on a Peltor digital worktunes, this summer. I can go noiseless, radio, or hook up my mp3 player (still haven't bought a transmitter yet).
          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• JeffG78
            Established Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
            • BT3100

I always put on ear muffs before starting any corded power tool. I used to wear the foam earplugs, but I found them uncomfortable and got tired of taking them in and out everytime I used a tool.

I also wear safety goggles anytime I use any power tool or pick up a hammer, but that's another discussion

Comment

• wardprobst
              • Jan 2006
              • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
              • Craftsman 22811

Guys,

I'm in a business that is guaranteed to damage your hearing so protection is vital From the classes I've been to periodic testing is advisable. Also, be aware tinnitus can be a side effect of some medications and a symptom of other physical problems.
              Safety first,
              DP
              www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• Texas splinter
                Established Member
                • Mar 2003
                • Abilene, TX, USA.
                • BT3100

I spent 25 years in the USAF working on Jet aircraft and, for part of that time, was a safety inspector. So, I always wore hearing protection. Working near a running jet engine, espically when it is at power, you need ear plugs and muffs. At my retirement physical the hearing doc compared my hearing test results with my induction physical hearing test, then called all his troops around and told them to meet someone who had taken hearing protection seriously. My test results were almost identical, even after 25 years of exposure.
                I wear muffs whenever I am running power tools (except drill/drivers & other really quiet tools) and whenever I am running either of my two shop vacs.
                "Aspire to inspire before you expire."

Chuck Hershiser
                Abilene, Texas

Comment

• Wood_workur
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2005
                  • Ohio
                  • Ryobi bt3100-1

I have over the ear muffs I use in the shop, and in ear custom plugs/headphones that I use when I'm drumming. I used to not wear anything, but ever since I noticed I've lost a tiny bit of hearing I've been very careful not to loose any more.

And guys, don't use shooting plugs, because they are designed to muffle for a split second and then let noise in at normal volume again.
                  Alex

Comment

• scmhogg
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                    • BT3000

I wear muffs for the loud tools, shop vac, router, planer, TS . . .

I have some hearing loss. But, I think I choose not to hear more than I can't hear. I was in the artillery in the Army. We weren't provided with any hearing protection, other than our fingers.

I can recall using cigarette filters when the noise go too disturbing. The very worst was the 106mm recoil-less tank gun.

After I got out there was a lot of rock and roll. After one Led Zeppelin concert, my ears rang for a week. Who knew?

Steve
                    I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• gsmittle
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2004
                      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                      • BT 3100

I use Peltor muffs, unfortunately not WorkTunes. For one horrid (and hot) summer I worked for an airline catering company, where I serviced airplane galleys. The first day on the ramp, my partner laughed when I got out my earplugs. He said, "Boy, I been doin' this job for twenty years, and my ears are just fine." I said, "Really?" He said, "What???" Made a believer out of me.

I do have a bit of tinnitus now and again, from shooting w/o ear protection in the '70s, and too much rock and roll and drum line before I knew any better.

Now that I'm older, I find myself much more sensitive to loud noises. Go figure.

g.
                      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                      Bill & Ted

Comment

• RAV2
                        Established Member
                        • Aug 2007
                        • Massachusetts

When I was a kid, I used to fear my uncle's table saw because it was so loud. As I got older, I used hearing protection with my tools and began to experience the comfort of the muffs.

I am a shooter so I use all types of hearing protection - passive (big and bulky type), foam plugs, piston type plugs (nortons), and my electronic Peltors that I use to hear range commands and shooters' comments.

I work for an employer that produces sound equipment so excellent hearing can take me very far in my job. I try to protect my hearing as best as I can. I am careful no to run the volume on my in ear head phones too loud. I wear hearing protection on with my lawn mowers and back pack blower.

As you get older, you gradually lose hearing in the high frequency ranges. I went to the Museum of Science and attended a demonstration on sound where all of the kids could hear some high sounds and the adults did not pick it up until much later. Check out the "Mosquito" speaker that keeps kids away.

Protect your hearing in any way you can - you can never get it back if lost.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                          The Full Monte
                          • May 2007
                          • Sunshine State
                          • BT3000

What?

Comment

• cabinetman
                            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                            • Jun 2006
                            • So. Florida
                            • Delta

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                            What?

You're supposed to remove the earplugs when you're done.

Comment

• chopnhack
                              Veteran Member
                              • Oct 2006
                              • Florida
                              • Ryobi BT3100

I hope you are referring to the ear muff style, because I have found these silencio's ear plugs
                              to be absolutely indispensable over the last 5+ years
                              And they do take down noise by about 26db which is comparable to some lower ranged ear muffs. I haven't noticed any ill effects so I guess you are referring to something else?

Originally posted by Wood_workur
                              I have over the ear muffs I use in the shop, and in ear custom plugs/headphones that I use when I'm drumming. I used to not wear anything, but ever since I noticed I've lost a tiny bit of hearing I've been very careful not to loose any more.

And guys, don't use shooting plugs, because they are designed to muffle for a split second and then let noise in at normal volume again.
                              I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

Working...