• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Clocks

It's not OCB, but more of a challenge setting digital clocks. Each one seems to have a different type of sequence of which button to press and how many times. In our kitchen we have three clocks. A wall clock, one on the range, and above the range one on the microwave. I don't think I've ever got them all the same.

There's only two times a year that I have to go through the ritual of setting clocks, and thank goodness for that, what a PITA. It is quite a ritual though, because other than the clocks on our computers, we have 14 clocks throughout the house. Not that this is a contest, but how many do you have?
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Since DST has been extended to run the beginning of March through the beginning of November, why bother? Personally I wish they would move to DST all the time. I like the extra hour of daylight in the evening.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • On the TARDIS
      • BT 3100

We have around seven or eight clocks in the house but that doesn't include the microwave, tv, cable box, etc. Those are hardy ever set anyway. For the most part I don't bother with the clocks because I usually wear a watch.

The clock on the wall over the computer never did get changed last fall but I know it will be showing the right time again soon
      From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I have probably 20 digital clocks including a digital one with analog hands and the ones in the cars and the ones in the appliances (TV microwave, Oven, VCRs) and did not count the ones in the computers (another 5 in normal use). probably another half dozen analog quartz movements. Of those 20 digitals probably 6 are NIST-radio based and never need to be reset and even are updated for DST automatically. Another 2 or three are battery operated and don't need to be reset on power-loss but do need to be set for DST. The appliances, microwave, oven, and answering machine all need to be fixed on DST or power loss. Oh yeah, I have four GPS units which always have the right time to about 50 nSec when i turn them on.

PS oh, yeah, the cell phone. Its set by the network. No watch anymore. The only issue is that I don't know what time it is when i travel, it's off when i'm on the plane an it takes anywhere from minutes to several hours to get set at the destination so I'm not sure what time zone i'm in and if my clock is on the right hour.

Now pet peeves:
        The VCR supposed to be set auotmatically by local TV programming which I wonder what will happen on Feb 19th. and the analog station go off the air... but those have always been messed up anyway, investigations foud that stations didn't always set those clocks right and they sometimes got set to the wrong timezone depending upon programming origins.
        Worse, the Congress (stupid bunch of Louts) opted to change the dates for DST a year or two back so the digital clocks with dates but no radio synchroniztion have to be reset four times a year. The PCs have had to be patched (no Vista for me) to make them update correctly.
        I think I need more radio controlled clocks.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-01-2009, 03:16 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• BerniePA
          Established Member
          • Nov 2007
          • San Tan Valley, AZ
          • Grizzly 0575

That's another nice thing I liked about living in Arizona -- set 'em ONCE and keep your mitts off 'em!!!!!
          Bernie

Owww -- That spinnin' thang hurt!!

Comment

• BerniePA
            Established Member
            • Nov 2007
            • San Tan Valley, AZ
            • Grizzly 0575

As for how many, too many. Seems like I just get them all set and it's time to change them again!!! And it always seems to take me at least a day to remember the one in the thermostat!!!
            Bernie

Owww -- That spinnin' thang hurt!!

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

I have slowly been gravitating to those which set themselves automatically. Of course, the ones in the microwave and the stove don't do that, but they're easy to change. The one in the car is still a PITA, though, as you must use the radio buttons in weird combinations, and I can never remember what they are. That gives me an excuse twice a year to make sure I can still find my owners manual...

Comment

• guhor
                Forum Newbie
                • Feb 2006
                • blountville, tn
                • BT 3100

Clocks

I counted 38 clocks and one chronometer in our house. Thirty six are mechanical and three are digital. All are American except for one British shelf clock and one Japanese "schoolhouse" clock. Clock and watch collecting is my other hobby.

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                  I have probably 20 digital clocks including a digital one with analog hands and the ones in the cars and the ones in the appliances (TV microwave, Oven, VCRs) and did not count the ones in the computers (another 5 in normal use). probably another half dozen analog quartz movements.

Are you sure you don't have one with antennae with little ping pong balls on the tips?

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Russell, NY, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

Well I've got it beat, the clocks that is. Since I retired I quit wearing a watch. Of all the clocks in the house none of them are within 2 or 3 minutes of each other. But who cares? I get up when its daylight; go to bed when its dark and eat when I'm hungry. Well not really, but it sounds good, eh?
                    RuffSawn
                    Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by L. D. Jeffries
                      Well I've got it beat, the clocks that is. Since I retired I quit wearing a watch. Of all the clocks in the house none of them are within 2 or 3 minutes of each other. But who cares? I get up when its daylight; go to bed when its dark and eat when I'm hungry. Well not really, but it sounds good, eh?
                      who tells you when its the weekend... oh, never mind, it's always the weekend for you.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...