• Show
Clear All
  • Whaler
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Sequim, WA, USA.
    • DW746

Christmas Eve Dinner

I baked a pumpkin pie this afternoon and have a batch of corn bread baking now. I'll finish of the dinner with link sausage and scrambled eggs.
    Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/
  • Mr__Bill
    Veteran Member
    • May 2007
    • Tacoma, WA
    • BT3000

We are going to a neighbors for dinner tonight, the pumpkin pie for tomorrow just went into the oven. I spent the day baking cookies for tonight that I failed to bake all week. Tomorrow, it's turkey again!

Bill way south just off of 101

Comment

• chopnhack
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • Florida
      • Ryobi BT3100

I worked 11 hours today and came home to no dinner, LOL.
      Thats ok, we are busy preparing for hosting tomorrow, so my apetitite will have to wait until then.
      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Gary Lange
        Forum Newbie
        • Nov 2008
        • Nixa, Missouri
        • Grizzly 1023SL

I made two 9"X13" pans of Lasagna and we polished one off tonight for dinner along with some Garlic Bread. We have done this for about 35 years now.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

We caught a chill here a couple days ago, so I figgered I'd fire up a crockpot full of my psycho toxic chili, as one has to be standing in a deep freeze to eat it. Just my luck... back to 78 today, and 82 tomorrow.

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

I got out of work a bit early and the wif hit me with a last minute gift shopping run. I was going to bake 2 Pecan and 2 chocolate pies tonight but my truck broke down on the way home. Clutch bearings went on the AC compressor and I spent 2 hrs waiting for a tow truck.

Finished up the last of the wrapping tonight so looks like my Christmas day starts in the kitchen...
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• shoottx
              Veteran Member
              • May 2008
              • Plano, Texas
              • BT3000

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
              We caught a chill here a couple days ago, so I figgered I'd fire up a crockpot full of my psycho toxic chili, as one has to be standing in a deep freeze to eat it. Just my luck... back to 78 today, and 82 tomorrow.
              Just send a sample and I think many of us in the Lone Star state might be able to stand it, cold spell or not!

See http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...ighlight=Chili
              Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                The Full Monte
                • May 2007
                • Sunshine State
                • BT3000

Originally posted by shoottx
                Just send a sample and I think many of us in the Lone Star state might be able to stand it, cold spell or not!
                You'll have to come here... Interstate shipment of hazardous substances is a federal rap... Not wanting to change addies to Leavenworth anytime soon...

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Originally posted by Gary Lange
                  I made two 9"X13" pans of Lasagna and we polished one off tonight for dinner along with some Garlic Bread. We have done this for about 35 years now.

I requested lasagna (which is one of my favorites). LOML likes cheese, I like meat. She made a large casserole, half with meat, half with cheese. She claims the true Italian lasagna does not have meat. Is she right?

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2007
                    • Sunshine State
                    • BT3000

Originally posted by cabinetman
                    I requested lasagna (which is one of my favorites). LOML likes cheese, I like meat. She made a large casserole, half with meat, half with cheese. She claims the true Italian lasagna does not have meat. Is she right?
                    Lasagna has many Italian varieties, some containing meat, some not. All contain pasta, sauce and cheese. "True" Italian lasagna could be any of them. Actually, the original Italian "lasagna" was not the food itself, but the dish that it was cooked in...

Comment

• Bigbit
                      Established Member
                      • Aug 2007
                      • Southern California
                      • BT3100-1

With a French-Canadian heritage (but born in New England), my wife and I usually revert to either Quebecois or New England foods for the holidays. This year we had a salmon tourtiere (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourti%C3%A8re) and a traditional New England seafood chowder. We also made some cretons (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cretons), a traditional Quebecois pork spread which we put on toast for breakfast.

My favorite time of year!!
                      Last edited by Bigbit; 12-25-2008, 09:26 AM.

Comment

• bruce hylton
                        Established Member
                        • Dec 2008
                        • winlock, wa
                        • Dewalt today

We get a partial day off [we don't open till 1 pm today and then only the bar] so I am starting my day off with 'bread and milk', one of my favorite fat foods.

Comment

• cabinetman
                          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                          • Jun 2006
                          • So. Florida
                          • Delta

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                          Lasagna has many Italian varieties, some containing meat, some not. All contain pasta, sauce and cheese. "True" Italian lasagna could be any of them. Actually, the original Italian "lasagna" was not the food itself, but the dish that it was cooked in...

When it comes to Italian stuff, LOML, who is Italian, always talks about tradition according to her grandmother, who was Sicilian. So, I told her what you said and she made it clear according to Wiki:

In Italy the dish is called "Lasagne" and not "Lasagna".
                          The word lasagna, which originally applied to a cooking pot, now simply describes the food itself. Most English-speaking people follow the Italian usage and use the plural "lasagne" to refer to both the dish and the pasta, but Americans commonly use the singular "lasagna".

So, it looks like there's a variation depending on where the word is used, you know... location, location, location. Thanks for the input.

Comment

• gsmittle
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2004
                            • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                            • BT 3100

Originally posted by cabinetman
                            Who cares???? Meat good!

g.
                            Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                            Bill & Ted

Comment

• Kristofor
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2004
                              • Twin Cities, MN
                              • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

Originally posted by Gary Lange
                              +1

That's been the traditional Christmas eve dinner at my parents for as long as I can remember.

Christmas day we had Nikki's relatives over to our house and did the turkey, mashed spuds, gravey, rolls, coliflower/brocoli/bacon salad, corn, some pomogranite salad, and the standard condiments.

Good eating both days.

Comment

Working...