Mortgage rates coming down pretty low...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

Mortgage rates coming down pretty low...

I just refinanced a month or so ago, but I might end up doing it again! I got a call last night from one of the brokers I was working with a month ago -- rates went below 5% for a bit on Tuesday. This article is talks about plans for 4.5%. That's cheap money!

And if you don't own yet -- imaging a $22,000 tax credit for buying one

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...FR9cQD94RI8AG0
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates
  • jackellis
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

We've just drawn down a home equity line to finance construction of our retirement home. I'm crossing my fingers that rates stay low for about another 12 months until we can put a mortgage on the place. Otherwise we're going to be eating a lot of beans.

The good news is that it's costing us about 1/3rd less now than it would have cost a year ago. The really good news is that I'll have a real shop to make sawdust in.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

The rates are low, but required down payments for the top rates are way up, and any flat spots on your credit report will likely get you rejected (which, in itself, puts another flat spot on your credit report). Also, loan valuations are very conservative with the unstable market, made worse by the fact that you must use an appraiser designated by the bank. The time is right if you know you got the chops, but you'll waste a lot of $$$ in application fees if you are anywhere close to marginal. It's back to where the only folks who can get loans are the ones who don't need them.

Comment

• crokett
        The Full Monte
        • Jan 2003
        • Mebane, NC, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000

Cracker, I guess houses are different than cars? I had no problems getting the loan for the van. Also, I think a refi may be easier to get than a new home purchase.
        David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by Alex Franke
          I just refinanced a month or so ago, but I might end up doing it again! I got a call last night from one of the brokers I was working with a month ago -- rates went below 5% for a bit on Tuesday. This article is talks about plans for 4.5%. That's cheap money!

And if you don't own yet -- imaging a $22,000 tax credit for buying one

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...FR9cQD94RI8AG0

I'm crossing my fingers. I just started looking into a refi this week.

Comment

• cgallery
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Milwaukee, WI
            • BT3K

The report I heard last night was that the lowest rates wouldn't be available for refinancing, just new purchases. Although one of the commentators did ask, "what is to prevent my selling my house to my brother, and him selling it back to me?"

Nobody knew the answer to that one. A few commentators said it would be pretty difficult to keep the refis out.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

Originally posted by crokett
              Cracker, I guess houses are different than cars?
              You betcha... especially now.

Comment

• jackellis
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2003
                • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                • BT3100

It's back to where the only folks who can get loans are the ones who don't need them.
                My take is that we're back to the place where only folks who can demonstrate an ability to repay loans will get them.

Comment

• jhart
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                  • BT3100

Originally posted by jackellis
                  My take is that we're back to the place where only folks who can demonstrate an ability to repay loans will get them.

Probably the way it should be and should have been.
                  Joe
                  "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• Alex Franke
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2007
                    • Chapel Hill, NC
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                    The rates are low, but required down payments for the top rates are way up, and any flat spots on your credit report will likely get you rejected (which, in itself, puts another flat spot on your credit report). Also, loan valuations are very conservative with the unstable market, made worse by the fact that you must use an appraiser designated by the bank. The time is right if you know you got the chops, but you'll waste a lot of $$$ in application fees if you are anywhere close to marginal. It's back to where the only folks who can get loans are the ones who don't need them.
                    I guess a lot of this depends on the circumstances. We brought only closing costs to the table and didn't need an appraisal or new title insurance (they re-issued the last one from 5 years earlier.)

Anyway it's probably worth checking into if they do drop below 5 again.
                    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• pecker
                      Established Member
                      • Jun 2003

And you'll be paying it back in worthless, inflated dollars.

Comment

• DaveS
                        • May 2003
                        • Minneapolis,MN

I have a friend whose home sale just fell through because an audit appraiser for the mortgage company re-appraised the house two days before the closing and added an additional 10% decline for the upcoming year, dropping the home value below the sale price. They did this without even looking at the house, and applied the 10% reduction based on national real estate trends, not the local market (which has been flat).

It seems the mortgage industry, in their haste to save themselves, will cause the housing prices to sink even faster.

Comment

• DUD
                          Royal Jester
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3000

My Brother just borrowed $450.00 at 5.3% to buy a few rental houses that He is

getting very cheap. We are thinking about refinancing Our home, but that is hard to do

when it is paid for. Bill
                          5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

• Alex Franke
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2007
                            • Chapel Hill, NC
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by DUD
                            My Brother just borrowed $450.00 at 5.3% to buy a few rental houses that He is getting very cheap.
                            $450 for 3 houses? Very cheap, indeed!

Congrats on post #3000!

Comment

Working...