• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

#2 Son Needs Warm Thoughts

#2 son is a tower dog. (Installs, climbs, maintains, and repairs cell phone towers.)

Early Saturday morn their crew left left SUNNY, WARM central Texas headed for the Pittsburg area. He has cold weather gear but I don't know how much that helps when you are 150-200 feet up.

They expect to be there 2-2 1/2 months but the company is going to fly them back and forth for Thanksgiving, the company Christmas party, and Christmas.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • germdoc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Omaha, NE
    • BT3000--the gray ghost

Originally posted by Pappy
    #2 son is a tower dog. (Installs, climbs, maintains, and repairs cell phone towers.)

Early Saturday morn their crew left left SUNNY, WARM central Texas headed for the Pittsburg area. He has cold weather gear but I don't know how much that helps when you are 150-200 feet up.

They expect to be there 2-2 1/2 months but the company is going to fly them back and forth for Thanksgiving, the company Christmas party, and Christmas.
    As someone who lives in the great north, and can see it snowing RIGHT NOW from my window, he also needs warm clothes and long underwear. I watched construction workers put up a new building outside my office last winter when it was 10-20 below. I don't know how they did it--made me shiver just to watch them!

Best luck and warm thoughts!
    Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

Being from the south, he might not know this. Dressing in a few layers will keep you warmer.

Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• BobSch
        • Aug 2004
        • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
        • BT3100

I remember working outside for the local baby bell. Froze my fanny off more than once, and I wasn't even climbing poles. I wish your son the best.
        Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

I'll put the tea kettle on for him... Hate going up north this time of year. Better to be far north though than say DFW area. MUCH rather be in snow than ice storms...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

You can bet he won't be just standing around.

Comment

• shoottx
              Veteran Member
              • May 2008
              • Plano, Texas
              • BT3000

Extend our best wishes. Working outside in the North until you are acclimated to the weather is miserable. And I think it takes twice as long to do anything.

Originally posted by dbhost
              I'll put the tea kettle on for him... Hate going up north this time of year. Better to be far north though than say DFW area. MUCH rather be in snow than ice storms...
              NOT so! The terrible weather in the DFW area currently 66 - 21% humidity 5 mph gusts, with a low over night of 41, high tomorrow of 72. While DFW is not the Banana Belt like San Marcos it is a whole lot better than Houston area. While it might be a touch colder, we don't have the humidity of Houston area.

I grew up in Northern Illinois, spent time in South Dakota, and New Jersey

I will not be moving north again.
              Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                Veteran Member
                • May 2003
                • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                • BT3100

Don,

Believe it or not, silk underwear works the best in cold climates. And it doesn't add bulk. I believe that LL Bean aries them or try EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports). I know they have them. They're a bit pricey, but they sure do keep your butt warm.

I used to wear them when I hunted, and in the NY mountains, where it does get cold as a well diggers butt, they work. You can get socks and glove liners too.

Bruce
                "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• Greg in Maryland
                  Established Member
                  • Nov 2006
                  • Montgomery Village, Maryland
                  • BT3100

..... the Pittsburgh area.
                  You do know that he is going to have to root for the Steelers now?

Greg

Comment

• Ed62
                    The Full Monte
                    • Oct 2006
                    • NW Indiana
                    • BT3K

Originally posted by shoottx
                    Working outside in the North until you are acclimated to the weather is miserable.
                    When you can't feel anything anymore, you're acclimated. Then it is no longer miserable.

I wish him the best in staying warm.

Ed
                    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Independence, MO, USA.
                      • bt3100

Warm, but more importantly, SAFE thoughts.
                      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Pappy
                        The Full Monte
                        • Dec 2002
                        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 (x2)

Last year they worked out of the Baltimore area. Had days they couldn't go up the towers because, as the temp rose, the icecicles would break off and fall. Way too dangerous. They went up a few days that it never got warm enough to melt the ice.
                        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                        Fools because they have to say something.
                        Plato

Comment

• BobSch
                          • Aug 2004
                          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                          • BT3100

Last year they worked out of the Baltimore area. Had days they couldn't go up the towers because, as the temp rose, the icecicles would break off and fall. Way too dangerous. They went up a few days that it never got warm enough to melt the ice.
                          Ironic, isn't it. The colder, the safer.
                          Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Daryl
                            • May 2004

I am a couple hours down the river from Pittsburgh, so I suppose he is experiencing the same 34 degree temps. snow showers and gusty winds we are having.
                            Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• germdoc
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2003
                              • Omaha, NE
                              • BT3000--the gray ghost

He may come back without his Southern drawl. I hear it freezes up and falls off when it's so cold up there. Happened to me...
                              Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

Working...