• Show
Clear All
  • footprintsinconc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
    • BT3100

Hello there ....... (update)

well, i've been gone for some time now and have not been able to keep up either.... so, i got an email from steve and it just occurred to me that i've been gone for some time now, so i thought i'd do an update to my bike experience, man time flies when you are having fun!!

my bike experience reminds me of when rod got his scooter, except he stayed in touch and gave us details as needed, however, i just dropped off completely

i have been busy with the bike!! i took the saftey course during the first week of october and got my licence on the 7th of october. i didnt start riding to work until the next week. however, during this time, i just rode some local roads after work to get some practice.

the first week that i rode (the 3rd week of october) to work (50 to 55 minutes commute) i was not only shot at work, but i was dead tired when i got home too. my eyes would burn, and i felt very tired. the first three days were very tiring. i was getting worried that i must have made a mistake getting the bike but then starting the 2nd week, it got a whole lot better, almost like 80% better. i live on the east side of town but work on the west end....so the drive is a long one.

we play volleyball almost every friday, and have never been able to serve overhand because my arm hurts, but boy, i tell you, that friday, i served all four games over hand! so now i know that it was just fatigue that was getting me during the first week of riding. i must have been using muscles that i never have used!

then i spent the last few of weeks looking for jackets, gloves (still need to find a pair for normal riding -- non-winter gloves), boots, still looking for comfortable + easy to put on and remove ear plugs (my ears buzz constantly when i get off my bike if i dont wear ear plugs), saddle bags (got bigger ones and sold the ones that came with my bike, bigger windshield and mounting bracket (just got that last night delivered at 7pm).....and the list goes on. looking for these things is a major ordeal because i dont know anything about the quality of the different products available and takes a lot of time that i did not inticipate!

all in all, man i am enjoying riding. i love it. i have put about 1300 miles since i got the bike just by riding to work. hence, i have not done anything else for the last 5 or 6 weeks since i got my bike, no ww, and including not checking on my only ww forum unfortunately. i dont think i will either for another couple of weeks, but i desperately need to get some shop time in before thanksgiving.

well that is all for now, so i am checking out now,

until next time...have fun!
    • May 2003
    • Des Moines, IA.
    • BT3100

It's good to hear all is well. Enjoy the bike.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Well, enjoy the new toy. You are a far braver man than I. There is no way I would ride a bike in Houston. The soccer moms in Suburbans aim for ya here...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• BobSch
        • Aug 2004
        • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
        • BT3100

Originally posted by dbhost
        Well, enjoy the new toy. You are a far braver man than I. There is no way I would ride a bike in Houston. The soccer moms in Suburbans aim for ya here...
        Not just your crazy Texas drivers. When I was riding I always assumed the everyone else on the road was out to get me. Paranoid? Not when they really are!
        Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Ed62
          The Full Monte
          • Oct 2006
          • NW Indiana
          • BT3K

Welcome back, Omar. Glad you found another way to have fun. With all the money you'll be saving in gas, you should have no problem picking up a few more toys for the shop.

Ed
          Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

Check a farm supply or good western wear store for deerskin roping gloves. Excellent riding gloves. I will go to work ing the morning in an insulated jump suit and insulated gauntlet style gloves. Coming home it will be a leather vest and riding gloves. The vest keeps stuff from blowing out of my pockets at 75 mph.

In traffic I ride with the index and middle fingers of my throttle hand laying on the brake lever. I also ride to control my lane. I move to the side of the lane that a vehicle is coming around me. Don't want them trying to share my lane with me. OTH, if they act like they want the lane I never argue.

Two small bits of advice.

1. Ride with the idea that you don't have the experience to handle the bike, and it is a dangerous machine, until you think you are a good rider.

2. When that day comes, park it in the garage and give the wife your keys until you get that idea out of your head.
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

Hi Omar, I was wondering where you have been. As its just started to get cold here in PHX you had better wrap up warm
              Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
              techzibits.com

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2006
                • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                • BT3100

hi guys!

thanks don for the advice, i will check out some roping gloves. in the safety class they told us to control our lane too and how to choose what side of the lane to drive. the first day that i chose to to ride to work , it was like 49 degrees. i literally froze because part of the drive is freeway and at freeway speed, i wish i had worn chaps and better gloves.

i now have chaps and better gloves. as jon mentioned, its been cold the last three or four mornings, like close to 40 degrees. the chaps really help, but my hand kind of sweats in the gloves and then my fingers fell like they are half way frozen by the time i get to work. i just put on a memphis fats 21" windshield and it helps with cutting out the wind that i use to get. so it make my ride more comfortable in the morning.

as for the traffic, there have been a few incidents where people just cut me off. i hate the 4 way stop sign at an intersection close to work, it seems like they dont want me to turn right. the guys taking left or going straight just ignore my turn. i have noticed this about 25% of the time i used that intersection for a right turn.

well, i have to go and get my cars washed. the kids are waiting outside for me. its an unbelievable goergous day outside today.

catch you guys later!

Comment

• ironhat
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2004
                  • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                  • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Welcome back, Omar. And, you're right about Don's advice. If you aren't comfortable it just isn't worth it. I used to ride and my cut off temp was 20* but I was wearing a snowmobile coverall and had a "Throat-Coat" to keep the air away from my neck and upper chest. The day that I skidded it sideways with my then 13 year old daughter on the back I hung up the keys until they were grown and I wasn't 'needed' as much. Now that that day has come I'm too decrepit to ride.
                  D$%& !! I envy you guys! Enjoy and be reeeeealy careful, Omar.
                  Blessings,
                  Chiz

Comment

Working...