• Show
Clear All
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Going under a knife

I normally do not post topics such as this but I'll make an exception. Friday 10-31 I am going to have one of my wisdom teeth removed. Lower right. Its' impacted and has been causing me grief for about 2 1/2 months. Way back in early September I had a consultation with the oral surgeon. Since I had just then came off vacation I choose to schedule it for the first available Friday that I could. I tell ya 2 months is a really long time when you have a sore tooth! Yup, I'm having him put me out while he cuts and digs and pulls!

Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers. Also LOML and kids that the after extraction pain does not foul my mood to bad! I've alrady warned them that I'd be grumpier than usual!
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Mark

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Having been through the wisdom tooth and having to wait like you is now fun. Take care.

Tom

ps I promise not to post any political things while you are laid up.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Been there myself... twice. You'll be much better off afterward, and they got stuff for the pain...

Comment

• smc331
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2003
        • Charlotte, NC, USA.
        • BT3100

LOML is having four of them done at once next Tuesday.

(Pray for me...)
        Scott

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -- Frank Zappa

http://macbournes.com

Comment

• shoottx
          Veteran Member
          • May 2008
          • Plano, Texas
          • BT3000

Yup

I had the top two done last spring after a shortly after the bottom two (I guess you could call 25 years a shot time) The second event was much better than the first. No anesthesia, a little digging and the Dr told me to get out of the office. (he is a friend) Had little to no pain after the surgery. My only complication was excessive bleeding but I was temporarily on blood thinners at the time. It was still a mess.

Thoughts and prayers go out to you and the family.
          Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

It's not a big deal, and you shouldn't worry. I had my day with an oral surgeon several months ago, and was very impressed with how little I was affected by the procedure. Modern dentistry has become more and more patient friendly.

My father was a dentist for 37 years, and if he was alive I would be jumping up and down to tell him how easy it went. And, the best part is you can get some cool pain pills if you even need them.

Comment

• Popeye
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2003
              • Woodbine, Ga
              • Grizzly 1023SL

Dispatchers! Sheesh How many sick days you gonna have to take off?
              I had three pulled when I was nub in the Navy with a rookie dentist. NBD. Had two pulled last December by a very good oral surgeon, from the time I sat down to the time I paid the bill was less than an hour. And I didn't have her put me under.
              Driver Pat
              Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• Hellrazor
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Abyss, PA
                • Ridgid R4512

I had all 4 removed at one time, it wasn't that big of a deal.

Comment

• rmcjh
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Oct 2003
                  • Waxahachie, Texas, USA.

Popeye: I had an impacted tooth taken out during GQ, the Dentist had to split it in three sections using a small hammer and chisle as the root had grown around the jaw bone. He was great as I didn't have a bit of pain nor swelling.
                  roger

Comment

• jking
                    • May 2003
                    • Des Moines, IA.
                    • BT3100

If the tooth has infection, you may be happy you're going under for this. When my dad had his wisdom teeth removed (all four at once), they were infected & had been bothering him for some time. The surgeon used general anethesia & it took a couple of hours. The pain from the infection was probably worse than that from the surgery. Do yourself a favor & fill whatever prescription they give you for pain. It's better to have it on hand than find out you need it & have to wait for the pharmacy to fill it.

Comment

• Ed62
                      The Full Monte
                      • Oct 2006
                      • NW Indiana
                      • BT3K

No doubt that once it's out, you'll be feeling better. If you need a magic pill, it'll help, and the discomfort will only be temporary. Good luck.

Ed
                      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• cgallery
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 2004
                        • Milwaukee, WI
                        • BT3K

I'll be praying for you Mark.

And I'm impressed that you've been able to put up with it for two months. You may find the recovery to be easier than what you've already been going through!

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Relax Mark... they've done it a zillion times and they will do it a zillion more. Most of us have already been there and done that. Once you do... you'll be glad you did as you've been through more pain already than you will ever feel after they do the normal procedure.

Comment

• Tom Slick
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 2005
                            • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                            • sears BT3 clone

Just so you know, no knives are involved, more like a hammer, chisel, and pliers.

I had mine pulled a few years ago. the two on the right side then the two on the left side a month later. two came out easy the other two the surgeon had to really work at. after a day or so the pain and bleeding went away and after about a week the gums weren't too sore.
                            Just to add a little halloween horror, I let a Navy dentist pull them......
                            Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• leehljp
                              Just me
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Tunica, MS
                              • BT3000/3100

Praying for you from over here! Going to sleep is a great way to NOT experience the immediate experience.

Let us know as soon as you can.
                              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...