• Show
Clear All
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

Attack!

My wife and I walk most mornings, with the dog. This morning we were walking, and our dog was attacked by 2 pit bulls. There was a small female who has had pups, and she was the aggressive one. The other one didn't attack until the little one did. My dog was on a leash, but the pit bulls were running loose. My dog was on the wrong end of 3 or 4 bites.

I had my cell phone with me, and called police. By the time they arrived, the pit bulls were gone. The officer made a report, but the pit bulls were not to be found.

After we got home, I called animal control. They sent a guy out. He found the dogs, and brought them to my home for indentification. They have had numerous complaints about the dogs, and 1 of them had been picked up about 2 weeks ago. It's a shame when people can't even walk their dogs without being attacked by dogs people let run loose. That doesn't mean I have anything against pit bulls, just the people who act irresponsibly.

Rant over.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Sounds like two dogs that need to be put down.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Originally posted by dbhost
      Sounds like two dogs that need to be put down.
      ...along with their owner.

Comment

• cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
        ...along with their owner.
        Yep.

And animal control should have acted sooner on the repeat complaints. With pitt bulls I advocate a "one strike and you're out" policy.

Comment

• pierhogunn
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2003
          • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

rant on
          I know some pitt bull owners declare that their dogs are the sweetest dogs in the world, but it seems that more often times than not, it is Pitt Bulls that are the dogs running loose and attacking people/pets

I know there are far more aggressive dogs out there, the police in Char-Meck utilize some of these eastern-european breeds for their ferocity, and more importantly their ability to be trained.

I believe that we are getting to a point in this country, that an outright ban on the pitt-bull terriers should be considered, or at the very least the lovers of the breed should push for some sort of legislation against the breeding of pit-bulls that does not have as one of it's main goals the pacification of that breeds particular vicious streak

My uncle when he was alive, made it his goal to only breed Dacshunds that were well mannered, easy going, and good natured, he explained to me that the personality of a breed is, by and large a component of genetics, and can be influenced greatly, within just a few generations. I'm sure most of the dog people on this board have know weiner dogs that were just beastly...

I am sure the same can be, or hopefully will be said in the future of pitt bulls, and if not, those dogs have no place in our society

rant off
          It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• Ed62
            The Full Monte
            • Oct 2006
            • NW Indiana
            • BT3K

The animal control officer told me they had the larger (male) pit bull about 2 weeks ago. He said the dog got along very well with other dogs who had been picked up. I don't doubt that because he was not the agressor. He only came in after the other one attacked my dog, and they were fighting. Both pit bulls were gentle with people.

Our dog is still bleeding a little, and has developed a slight limp. We have an appointment to see the vet this afternoon. I don't think it's anything serious, but it needs to be checked out.

Tomorrow I'll find out who owns the dogs. I'm hoping they won't give me a hard time paying for the doctor visit.

Ed
            Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• BobSch
              • Aug 2004
              • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
              • BT3100

Originally posted by Ed62
              Tomorrow I'll find out who owns the dogs. I'm hoping they won't give me a hard time paying for the doctor visit.

Ed
              Do you have a leash law in your area? Even if you don't, the owner should cough up for the vet costs plus any of your costs. If they don't, there's always small-claims court.
              Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• JeffG78
                Established Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
                • BT3100

My wife walks our dogs several times a day and CONSTANTLY comes in contact with loose dogs. She always carries citronella spray and has had to use it on several occasions. For the most part, it will stop a dog in its tracks. She then calls the police. We live in a tiny town with very attentive police, so they help out as best they can. On several occasions, the officers visited the dog's owner and made it VERY clear that they would be charged if the dog was spotted off leash in the future. One owner was charged since their dog had gone after someone else before it came after my dog and me.

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Sorry to hear that Ed. I hope your dog is ok. I did have a problem a few months ago when I was taking care of my sister's dog. I went over to let her out and she was barking like crazy. Turned out there was a dog in the back yard. I chased him into her fenced area then locked the gate and called Animal Control. The dog turned out to be well-mannered but I didn't know that at the time. Animal Control recognized the dog and said the owner would be fined and/or might have the dog taken away. Apparently she was a repeat offender in not keeping her dog fenced or on a leash.
                  David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• TB Roye
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                    • BT3100

In Sacramento we have off leash Dog Parks. The one I take our dog daily is about 2-3 ac. with a large mound with a tunnel going through it. There and benches and picnic tables and a Doggie water fountain and a big mud hole for the Labs. The are a number of pit bulls altered and unalter along with numerous other dogs. It is amazining how they all get along most of the time. Last week the young femal put bull and a young pit bull that both my dog and the others play with roughly went off and stepped over the line injuring the other pit bull. She was taken home and has not returned. She was a sweet heart and as loving and gentle as you could ask but something happened. In the two months we have been going that was the first incident I have observed. The dogs have a way of making the other back down it doesn't like what is going on. We all have a great time watching our dog be dogs. Usually there are between 15 and 30 dogs there and the all seem to have a good time. They also seem to have friends they run around with, instead of one big pack there can up to 10 smaller packs. It taks a few visits for new comers to learn what to do and how to play after about the 3 time no matter what size they are they know what to do and how to behave. My dog is a better behaved dog at home after going there and looks forward to her visits. Everybody picks up after their dog and lets other know when there dog goes, as some time you don't see. In fact this park is cleaner than the regular park down the street from my house.

When I walk my dog in the Neighborhood I carry a 24'' piece of 1" oak dowels that has been hollowed out on one end and had lead added, this is just incase we run into a aggressive dog or person. Haven't had to use it yet but it is nice to have.

Tom

Comment

• docrowan
                      • Mar 2007
                      • New Albany, MS
                      • BT3100

We live in a mostly open neighborhood, very few fences. I like it that way, makes it easier to keep track of children. The downside is when a dog gets loose, it can wander quite a bit. We've had no trouble with big dogs, but I've had a little yippy dog chase my outside cat once. I chased it with a broom and I doubt it'll do that again, certainly not while I'm around.

There's several heavy and handy objects around the outside of my house. If a big dog makes a serious attack, it will be lucky if it makes it back out of my yard under its own power.
                      - Chris.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2006
                        • On the TARDIS
                        • BT 3100

Ed, I really hope that you dog recovers from this attack and you get some type of restitution.

Earlier this year there was an attack by two Lab crosses that saw a small dog literally torn in two by these dogs infront of his owner. The dogs were repeat offenders but they kept being given back to their owner. This last time the owner was charged and is waiting for trial. In the meantime, some one ( or two) broke into the animal control building and stole these two dogs( only these two). I think it is safe to say that these dogs are finished their killing spree.

News Article
                        From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Schleeper
                          Established Member
                          • Feb 2008

I'm not a dog owner (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. ) I'm a big fan of the TV show "Dog Whisperer," and having observed the way some of my siblings' dogs behave, I fully agree with host Cesar Millan. The dogs aren't the problem.

"I know it when I see it." (Justice Potter Stewart)

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2005
                            • Independence, MO, USA.
                            • bt3100

Do dogs know when someone is joking?

A former neighbor, that had been a thief and a problem for me as long as he was there, moved back in to his stepfathers house, as a renter, when his stepfather moved out of state.
                            He had pittbulls, that he would say to him "attack, get him" when he saw me out. I made a report about it, had several officers I know say get a gun and carry it outside, after the dogs were out loose and chased me on MY property (they stopped when I turned and yelled at them (not much more I could have done).
                            Yet he claimed they were gentle. They went after his daughter and a neighbors kid (no bites) and he kept them. They went after the letter carrier (neighborhood threatened him with a lawsuit as post office was threatening to stop delivery to our block), the utility workers (easements), the home appraiser (his stepfather sent), and finally bit a meter reader (which sued and cause the dogs to go away).

Originally posted by pierhogunn
                            rant on
                            I know some pitt bull owners declare that their dogs are the sweetest dogs in the world, but it seems that more often times than not, it is Pitt Bulls that are the dogs running loose and attacking people/pets

I know there are far more aggressive dogs out there, the police in Char-Meck utilize some of these eastern-european breeds for their ferocity, and more importantly their ability to be trained.

I believe that we are getting to a point in this country, that an outright ban on the pitt-bull terriers should be considered, or at the very least the lovers of the breed should push for some sort of legislation against the breeding of pit-bulls that does not have as one of it's main goals the pacification of that breeds particular vicious streak

My uncle when he was alive, made it his goal to only breed Dacshunds that were well mannered, easy going, and good natured, he explained to me that the personality of a breed is, by and large a component of genetics, and can be influenced greatly, within just a few generations. I'm sure most of the dog people on this board have know weiner dogs that were just beastly...

I am sure the same can be, or hopefully will be said in the future of pitt bulls, and if not, those dogs have no place in our society

rant off

Too many people are the wrong type of owner, and KEEP breeding this breed, to become the worst of animal. It may come down to this.
                            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• cabinetman
                              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                              • Jun 2006
                              • So. Florida
                              • Delta

Originally posted by Schleeper
                              I'm not a dog owner (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. ) I'm a big fan of the TV show "Dog Whisperer," and having observed the way some of my siblings' dogs behave, I fully agree with host Cesar Millan. The dogs aren't the problem.

I agree with you, that it's not the breed, but the owners. Some people should have to go through training before owning dogs. I've had big German Shepherds all my life and gone through obedience and guard training with several of them. Had exposure to K-9's in the military. There is just more publicity about Pit Bills, Rottwellers, and German Shepherds biting people. It's just not big news when the ankle biters do it. I have compassion for the dogs that aren't properly cared for.

Comment

Working...