Come fly with me........

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • cwithboat
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2008
    • 614
    • 47deg54.3'N 122deg34.7'W
    • Craftsman Pro 21829

    #1

    Come fly with me........

    I think my pants are brown just from reading this
    Check your battery sir?
    http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine...ml?source=mypi
    regards,
    Charlie
    A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.
    Rudyard Kipling
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • 15216
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

    #2
    I like this quote: "An American Airlines representative was not available for comment late Friday".

    More than likely, that representative was out gettin' plastered.
    .

    Comment

    • jackellis
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2003
      • 2638
      • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

      #3
      I just read a more technical version of that little episode this morning.

      Any idiot can steer an airplane. Poor judgment is what gets people killed. The pilots on this flight screwed up. Badly.

      Comment

      • Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • 7091
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

        #4
        And for every one of these we hear about, there are probably ten that we don't...

        Comment

        • jackellis
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2003
          • 2638
          • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
          • BT3100

          #5
          And for every one of these we hear about, there are probably ten that we don't
          I don't think so. The original version appeared here: http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?C...-d04e61b27650&

          Some journalist found the article and then wrote a story. I can't say nothing gets whitewashed in aviation, but it's highly unlikely.

          Comment

          • LCHIEN
            Super Moderator
            • Dec 2002
            • 22085
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

            #6
            http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...07X03940&key=1

            While the planes crew was heroic in landing a plane with multiple systems failures it should never have gotten that far. They switch to battery power and the manual said that the battery would power systems for 30 minutes. What part of 30 minutes don't they understand? They then should have landed. Instead they tried to fly across the country on battery power alone with no charging source. The pilot must have had a hot date waiting in NYC.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

            Comment

            • Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • 7091
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

              #7
              Originally posted by jackellis
              I don't think so. The original version appeared here: http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?C...-d04e61b27650&

              Some journalist found the article and then wrote a story. I can't say nothing gets whitewashed in aviation, but it's highly unlikely.
              I'm talking about stuff that never gets logged by the flight crew. DAMHIKT

              Comment

              • Tom Slick
                Veteran Member
                • May 2005
                • 2913
                • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                • sears BT3 clone

                #8
                Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                I'm talking about stuff that never gets logged by the flight crew. DAMHIKT

                luckily, newer planes record everything for maintenance, making it hard for flight crews covering up.

                This crew must have been ignoring the warnings, newer planes don't let critical systems shut down without warning.
                Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

                Comment

                • Wood_workur
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2005
                  • 1914
                  • Ohio
                  • Ryobi bt3100-1

                  #9
                  The redundancy isn't place to fly cross country with, its there so when the primary system fails you can safely divert.

                  Thank god they were not in an Airbus, 777, or any other plane with a fly by wire system because they would have crashed then.
                  Alex

                  Comment

                  • jackellis
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2003
                    • 2638
                    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                    • BT3100

                    #10
                    I'm talking about stuff that never gets logged by the flight crew. DAMHIKT
                    Not much of that any more. Electronic recording is part of it. More importantly, the FAA and NASA put a system in place for voluntary reporting so that incidents would not be covered up. If you submit, you're entitled to one get-out-of-jail-free card every so often.

                    I think the pilots who were involved should be canned, but on the other hand, stuff like this is newsworthy because it happen so infrequently. 125 people die on the highways every day, whereas it's often as long as several years between fatal airline accidents.

                    Comment

                    • cwithboat
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2008
                      • 614
                      • 47deg54.3'N 122deg34.7'W
                      • Craftsman Pro 21829

                      #11
                      Originally posted by jackellis
                      it's often as long as several years between fatal airline accidents.
                      Actually this statement is true only if you are considering U.S. carriers. It is not true if you consider U.S. made airplanes or events outside the U.S. There have been six aircraft crashes which resulted in deaths year to date, worldwide. Five of those planes were built in the U.S. See airdisaster.com
                      regards,
                      Charlie
                      A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.
                      Rudyard Kipling

                      Comment

                      • niki
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2006
                        • 566
                        • Poland
                        • EB PK255

                        #12
                        I was an aircraft mechanic for 13 years and then, a flight engineer for another 23 years till I retired from aviation and became an amateur woodworker

                        Yes, the captain made a BIG "Fashlah" (Arabic for screwed-up, failure)...

                        The condition that they had (as I can see it) is "Loss of all AC power"...in this condition, every "baby" in aviation knows that the first think is, to get the "Essential bus" powered (normally, the essential bus gets power automatically when a circuit feels that there is no AC power) and the second thing is - as it's written in the check-list - "Land at the nearest suitable airport"...

                        In this condition, only very limited systems are operative just to allow Emergency landing.

                        I think (at list, that was my company procedure) that he had to declare Emergency and land immediately.

                        During the landing roll, they did not have the "Anti-skid" nor the "Auto Brake system" (like the ABS in a car) and the pilot pressed the brake pedals without any control and caused "Locked wheels" (hence the skid marks) even though, there is a procedure how to brake when those systems are inoperative.

                        I think that every pilot will tell you that a "Locked wheel" or skidding wheel is not braking, the best (and shortest distance) braking is when the wheel is rotating or, very slightly skidding and that 's what the Anti-skid system does - releasing the pressure to any locked wheel - yeap, of course they ended-up almost at the end of the runway...

                        But still, aviation is the safest transportation method....I think...

                        As I read on one of the sawstop threads...."Still, it doesn't have brain - you must use yours"

                        niki

                        Comment

                        • jackellis
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2003
                          • 2638
                          • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                          • BT3100

                          #13
                          Charlie, you're right about the distinction between US carriers and many foreign flag carriers when it comes to reporting incidents and potential safety lapses. However, the UK in particular is not an easy place to hide anything. No offense to our members from across the pond but the UK press corps reminds me of a pack of hungry wolves when it comes to exposing misdeeds. Makes the US press seem weak and compliant by comparison.

                          Niki, did you used to work for LOT by chance?

                          Comment

                          • niki
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2006
                            • 566
                            • Poland
                            • EB PK255

                            #14


                            No Jackellis

                            Even though I live in Poland, originally, I'm an Israeli and I worked for "EL-AL" Israel Air lines...

                            The last 11 years, I worked for "Japan Air System" (doesn't exists anymore, JAL "ate" them).

                            Regards
                            niki

                            Comment

                            • Tom Slick
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2005
                              • 2913
                              • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                              • sears BT3 clone

                              #15
                              EL-AL would certainly be an interesting place to work. If these guys had an FE I'll bet they wouldn't have made this blunder.
                              Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

                              Comment

                              Working...