• Show
Clear All
  • DUD
    Royal Jester
    • Dec 2002
    • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

New Jobs

This is great news for Our little community, as it is the 2nd announcement this month about

jobs in Our area this month. The 1st one makes wipes for babies and hospitals and all kinds

of jobs. and they will employ 300 and are moving into a vacant facility and will start

production in December. This is great news, and I needed some. Bill

Nordex to Invest $100M in Wind Turbine Plant in Jonesboro, to Employ 700 They will make

everything in Jonesboro except the tower.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DUD; 10-24-2008, 05:18 PM. Reason: adding picture
    5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.
  • BobSch
    • Aug 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

That is great news, especially in these days of downsizing.
    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• DUD
      Royal Jester
      • Dec 2002
      • Ryobi BT3000

I know Bob, both companies are from overseas, this Germany, the other Norway. Bill

Comment

• Ed62
        The Full Monte
        • Oct 2006
        • NW Indiana
        • BT3K

That's good news, Bill. But I have to admit that when I saw this
        Originally posted by DUD
        The 1st one makes wipes for babies and hospitals
        I was looking for a punch line.

Ed
        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• DUD
          Royal Jester
          • Dec 2002
          • Ryobi BT3000

Ed I don't blame You for that, but when I post a joke I use the smiley. I have been

trying to post a picture of what thay make, but haven't figured it out yet. Bill

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
            Veteran Member
            • May 2003
            • Nanuet, NY, USA.
            • BT3100

Bill,
            You really got me this time, I took off my shirt and covered the keyboard with plastic expecting to expel my coffee, and I see its a real post. This started me laughing and I ended knocking over my cup soaking my lap with fairly hot coffee.

Thanks, I think,

Bruce
            "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
            Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Those seem to be good industries for your area. AFIK the wipes for babies market is never-ending - there are always new customers. Wind turbines are another heavy manufacturing job I would think that will require some skilled workers.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• jackellis
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2003
                • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                • BT3100

At an energy industry meeting earlier today, I heard projections for up to 14,000 new wind turbines per year in the US alone.

A factory is going to open in Las Vegas shortly that makes parts for solar plants that will be built all over California. They just turned on a pilot electric production plant yesterday.

Renewable energy is expensive to build but relatively cheap to run. Everyone seems to be getting on the bandwagon, with or without Mr. Pickens' "plan". It could help rescue the economy.

Comment

• Alex Franke
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2007
                  • Chapel Hill, NC
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Could you imaging having to climb up and service one of those wind turbines?!? I have a hard enough time with the first row of shingles on those 1-story habitat houses...

I've heard that wind turbines are pretty inefficient, but I'm not sure I fully understand the argument -- seems like once you build it, you just plug it in and keep it tuned up. So if it only 30-40% efficient you're still getting more than you would if you didn't build it in the first place...
                  online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                  while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                  "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• BobSch
                    • Aug 2004
                    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                    • BT3100

Originally posted by Alex Franke
                    Could you imaging having to climb up and service one of those wind turbines?!? I have a hard enough time with the first row of shingles on those 1-story habitat houses...

I've heard that wind turbines are pretty inefficient, but I'm not sure I fully understand the argument -- seems like once you build it, you just plug it in and keep it tuned up. So if it only 30-40% efficient you're still getting more than you would if you didn't build it in the first place...
                    I don't do heights either. watched Mike on Dirty Jobs work on one. No thanks!

The efficiency of wind turbines doesn't seem to be the problem, it's the fight over transmission lines that's hanging up a lot of wind generation. Seems the ecologists like the idea of wind but not the idea of building new power lines. A wind farm doesn't accomplish much if you can't get the power to the people who need it.
                    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Tom Slick
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2005
                      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                      • sears BT3 clone

Servicing wind turbines looks fun to me! those are good paying technical jobs.

When I was in high school a diaper factory moved into town supplying lots of entry level mundane jobs, good for a low income area, which that area is. they lasted about a decade, now that plant is a poultry product production plant.
                      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

Working...