Clear All
  • germdoc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Omaha, NE
    • BT3000--the gray ghost

Did my civic duty today

I voted.

In most states you can vote before election day, usually at city hall (where I voted) or another voting place. Or by absentee or even computer. I did it because I was impatient, and wanted to avoid the rush on Nov. 4, when I have a lot of commitments the whole day.

This isn't a partisan issue--we all should help select our leaders and respond to referenda which are on the ballot. In this country only about 60% of eligible voters are registered, as opposed to over 90% in Canada. If you don't vote you have no standing to criticize the guy or girl you did or didn't vote for when they screw up!
    Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire
  • Tamarack
    Established Member
    • Oct 2003
    • Speedwell, TN USA
    • BT3100

I took care of mine yesterday. I don't like lines either, and after giving 21 years of my life defending our right to vote (and other freedoms) I figure I need to do this duty, too.

Paul

Comment

• Black wallnut
      cycling to health
      • Jan 2003
      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
      • BT3k 1999

I'll likely never forget some of the lessons I learned in my high school govt./ civics classes. I can remember two individual teachers, one of whom was a State Senator at the time, both of which made it known what their political leanings were, both taught presenting both sides of most topics. Both said that as Americans it is our civic duty to become informed and stay informed so that we could vote with knowledge of what the candidate stood for matching our beliefs to our selections.

Thanks for voting regardless of what your vote was!

I'll probably cast my ballot in the next week since in my county all voting is done by mail.
      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

I voted early today... The line was probably longer than any I have experienced, even on a regular voting day! I think most of the unemployed are turning out this year. Many of those I met in line today were in that very situation... Tough times.

Comment

• Ed62
          The Full Monte
          • Oct 2006
          • NW Indiana
          • BT3K

I'll be one of the last to vote, compared to you guys. I'll do my duty in Nov.

Ed
          Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• TB Roye
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Sacramento, CA, USA.
            • BT3100

I will put mine in the mail Monday. Then I will vote for my Mom on Tuesday and Dad on Wednesday. Oh we can't vote early or often. Did all my reasearch and thought about and have marked my ballot. It is important we all vote but we also need informed voters. I have voted in every election since 1963. Hopefully they won't call the winner before my ballot is counted like happened one year went to the poles and before I shut the engine off they declared the winner.

Tom
            Last edited by TB Roye; 10-23-2008, 09:21 PM.

Comment

• bthorne
              Forum Newbie
              • Oct 2007
              • Ruckersville, VA
              • Craftsman 21829

I'll be in line by 6 AM on November 4th. Something about going down to the courthouse early (30 miles from my office, and way out of my way) rather than voting at the fire station a couple blocks from my house on election day just seems weird. The lines may be long, but I'm hoping to avoid most of it by going in so early... that, and I guess it's just tradition.
              --
              Bryan

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

I am off on election day this year and will cast my vote then. For the most part I have made up my mind on who, but there are still some issues I am looking at.
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

• Thalermade
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Ohio
                  • BT 3000

I voted yesterday.

Figured that would make room for one more person on the 4th. I believe (and hope) it will be one of the highest turn outs ever. I do think the extended voting period is a good thing - you gotta remember there are a lot of folks in this here country of ours.

Was really hoping early voting would cause the campaigning to become silent and invisible to me - doesn't seem to have happened though..........

Vote, early or on Election Day, but vote,
                  Russ

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

hmmm, last Monday was the beginning of early balloting, there are a number of places around Houston/Harris County where you can vote. But, the media are reporting 3-hour lines... sort of defeats the purpose, to me.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• paintandbodtman
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by TB Roye
                      I will put mine in the mail Monday. Then I will vote for my Mom on Tuesday and Dad on Wednesday.

Tom
                      I hope by voting for your mom and dad you mean helping them with the paperwork and marking their choice and not marking the ballot the way you think they should vote and essentially getting in three votes for yourself.

Wayne

Comment

• Tom Slick
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2005
                        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                        • sears BT3 clone

I'll take care of it this weekend. I have to wade through about 4 of 12 props before I make final decisions on them.
                        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• radhak
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2006
                          • Miramar, FL
                          • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                          hmmm, last Monday was the beginning of early balloting, there are a number of places around Houston/Harris County where you can vote. But, the media are reporting 3-hour lines... sort of defeats the purpose, to me.
                          +1. I told LOML there's no way the lines on Nov 4 are gonna be anywhere close to that long, so shall wait for it. I believe the reason is that there are by-far fewer polling places now than on the final day.
                          It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                          - Aristotle

Comment

• gettools
                            Established Member
                            • Sep 2006
                            • Fort Worth, Texas
                            • BT3100

I voted yesterday, no lines . Took about 10min. I want to personally thank all who have voted and will vote.
                            Mark

A chip on the sholder is a sign of wood further up !!!!

Comment

• TB Roye
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2004
                              • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                              • BT3100

Wayne

Mom and Dad have been gone for many years, I was just making a joke about some of the voter fraud. Like vote early vote often. My parents were both imigrants and took the right to vote very seriously and passed it down to thier kids. California doesn't have early voting other than by absentee ballot or going the the election HQ and voting there if you won't be able to vote on election day, that ballots here in CA are getting so long and complicated with all the propositions that I like to be able to sit down and study the ballot and mark it before either going to the polls or like this year voting absentee as I won't be in town. I do question some of the other States practices on early voting but won't go into that as it will start a political discussion, besides I am not there and not informed on them.

Tom

Comment

Working...