• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Why I Live Where I Do

My youngest is sick so I worked from home today. On the way back from dropping the oldest off at preschool I saw 4 horses loose. Stopped at my neighbor who has horses, his 3 were all there and no one was home. Drove down the road past my house and stopped at another neighbor who has been living there 30-odd years. He came back with me and looked at the horses. He knew who owned 'em but not exactly sure where they lived. He calls a buddy who works at the Power co - used to read the meters in our area. His buddy knew where the people live so he went over there to see if they were home.

By this time my neighbor is home so he helped us corral the horses and put them in one of his pastures until their owners came.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

That's a good reason to live there, David. The reason I live where I do is because I don't live some other place.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

The reason I live where I do is because good I.T. jobs are too few and far between in the small towns in the Cascades up in Oregon.

I guess I COULD drop a resume with Symantec, but I would rather live in Houston than Eugene... I would NOT fit in there at all...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Oh for nostalgia when neighbors were neighbors, and neighbors were community together.

Good story! Glad it has not disappeared! David, you might not like this and it is a warning - I am going to look someone like you up (maybe you ) when I retire to live close to!
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Ed62
          That's a good reason to live there, David. The reason I live where I do is because I don't live some other place.

Ed
          Good one Ed!

And db, by 'here' I mean 'here' as opposed to, say, Durham or Wake County. There are IT jobs here if you know where to look. Actually now that I think about it my organization has spots to fill but they aren't opening things up to external hires until February at the earliest. If you are interested, PM me. I believe you could work remotely - I know there are guys on that team spread all over from Texas to Washington state.
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• gsmittle
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2004
            • St. Louis, MO, USA.
            • BT 3100

Originally posted by Ed62

Ed
            Hey! Me too!
            Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
            Bill & Ted

Comment

• docrowan
              • Mar 2007
              • New Albany, MS
              • BT3100

Crockett,

I had a letter published today in our local paper about why we chose to move to our small town in Mississippi. The only downside is that it usually takes me an hour to get out of the Wal-Mart because I have to talk to all the people I know.
              - Chris.

Comment

Working...