• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Christmas Lights

I know there are some guys on the forum who set up some large displays. I also know it is early but is anybody setting them up yet? There is a guy here who fills up his whole yard and he has already started setting up. He generally turns them on the first weekend after Halloween.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • sd
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2003

Call me old-fashioned, but I've always thought the Christmas season didn't start until after Thanksgiving.
    -- Steve

Comment

• Sam Conder
      Woodworker Once More
      • Dec 2002
      • Midway, KY
      • Delta 36-725T2

Sears has their trees up.
      Sam Conder
      BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• Stan
        • Mar 2004
        • Kalispell, MT, USA.
        • BT3100, Delta 36-717

I'm with Steve... folks who start setting up Christmas displays before Halloween are the reason it is hard to find a store that has a good selection of grills for smoking that Thanksgiving turkey as they have all been moved out of the way for the Christmas items.

(Went by Lowe's last Saturday evening and that was exactly the case.)
        From the NW corner of Montana.
        http://www.elksigndesigns.com

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

I have a couple of rows of holographic pumpkins, a couple of scarecrows, a crashed into the tree witch, a resin Laborador retriever dressed up as a ghost carrrying a jack o lantern candy bucket, a Happy Halloween wreath, and a giant inflatable pumpkin with a ghost that pops up out of it set up. Not even thinking Christmas decor yet. We have two holidays to go before then.

Once Halloween is over, everything but the scarecrows go back into storage. Then come the turkeys, pilgrim hats, and cornucopias, and on Thanksgiving day, the Christmas decor comes down out of the attic, the light strings get tested, and fixed if need be, and the REAL fun begins.

Once the Thanksgiving decor is put up, I wrap ALL of my trees, my entire gutter line, the outlines of all my windows, and doors, my walkways etc... in white lights. I have the multi colored spiral trees that go in the yard, and the lighted nativity that goes under the magnolia. Each year we replace one of the animals from the scene with our resin yellow lab that is holding a hurricane lamp. (We have a yellow lab, so a LOT of our yard decor is dog related.). The wreath goes up on the door, and then the tree goes up. For years I had the biggest display in my neighborhood, but in the last several years, we have had new neighbors that have upped the ante so much that I am not going to even try to get near their level of display. Too much work!

LOML and I don't have kids yet, and the house is undergoing an interior remodel this year, so it is very likely we will go EXTREMELY conservative with interior decor. Most likely a miniature artificial tree with only the ornaments that have family significance, and the ornaments that we bought for "our" tree when we got married.
          Last edited by dbhost; 10-21-2008, 12:46 PM.
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by sd
            Call me old-fashioned, but I've always thought the Christmas season didn't start until after Thanksgiving.
            Me too but some folks do displays big enough that they have to start now. That said, this year our tree is going up before Thanksgiving, but that is because my in-laws will be here (they leave the week before) and want to go get a tree with us. I may also do the lights then too, my FIL can help. I just won't turn them on till Thanksgiving weekend.

I don't like it - tradition in my family is to go get the tree the weekend after Turkey Day, but I'd rather have a happy wife and kids, ya know?
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

Nothing ticks me off more than to go into Lowes in late September only to find their inside garden department packed away, and rows of Christmas trees and decorations set up instead... Summer lasts until January around here, but finding supplies this time of year is like hen's teeth.

Comment

• Whaler
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Sequim, WA, USA.
                • DW746

We moved into our new house in late September and decided we wanted a nice outdoor furniture set for the front porch.
                For a small town we have some big stores HD, Wallyworld and Costco, none had anything left. We finally found a set, the last one, at the county Co Op.
                I gets aggravating.
                Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
                  Bandsaw Box Momma
                  • Apr 2005
                  • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

We go and get a tree sometime after Thanksgiving and that is the way it has been for a while now, actually since Mark and I have been married. I also think that lights and things like that should go up after Thanksgiving because after years of working a retail chain where you start getting stuff very early and put it out before Thanksgiving and then you have the big shopping day the day after and then the craziness started.
                  Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

• shoottx
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2008
                    • Plano, Texas
                    • BT3000

Extreme Christmas Lights

If you are going to do Christmas Lighting here are three good examples

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szLmAPW39uE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4FW4...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGRXi...eature=related

and here is the site for how not to decorate

http://tackychristmasyards.com/
                    Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• tfischer
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2003
                      • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                      • BT3100

We do a big display, but I'm a stickler about not lighting up until after Thanksgiving -- actually it's closer to Dec 1 the last few years.

I start putting lights up in trees and places you don't really notice in early November. We don't start putting out the noticeable stuff until at least mid-November...

I too am dismayed when I see the garden aisle go away in late July or early August. Not even us die-hard Christmas decorators need the stuff out that early...

-Tim

Comment

• Pappy
                        The Full Monte
                        • Dec 2002
                        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 (x2)

Thanksgiving weekend at the earliest for me, too.
                        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                        Fools because they have to say something.
                        Plato

Comment

• jhart
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2004
                          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                          • BT3100

Retailers complain about their Christmas season not being good virtually every year, but how do you measure it anymore with Christmas stuff going on display as early as August???

We start the Christmas season after Thanksgiving. Call me old fashioned!!!
                          Joe
                          "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• dbhost
                            Slow and steady
                            • Apr 2008
                            • League City, Texas
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by crokett
                            I don't like it - tradition in my family is to go get the tree the weekend after Turkey Day, but I'd rather have a happy wife and kids, ya know?
                            COMPLETELY understand that!
                            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...