• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

'Puter Trouble

Yesterday morning when I got up I couldn't get online with my desk top. it was fine the night before. First thought was modem/router problems. I called in for an auotmatic refresh of the modem nd recycled both units. Called tech support and he tested my connection. Everything looked good.

I could receive mail, but not send. IE was a no go. Bypassed the router to make sure there wasn't a prpoblem in the connections. Still no go.

We run Norton 360 and I tried to run a virus scan. That function has been disbabled. Norton will receive updadtes but won't open.

The wife worked n it yesterday and got e-mail working properly but still nothing on IE. She made copies of both Norton and IE7 from her laptop and is going to dump both programs from the desk top today and try to reinstall them.

Any other ideas I can pass on to her? I am just about a complete computer dummy.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Honestly it sounds like a virus/malware/trojan type thing, especially if Norton has been disabled from scanning.

I'd boot into safemode with networking support and download/install Spybot or one of the other anti-malware programs. Then boot normally and have it run a scan.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• RayintheUK
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2003
      • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Agree, it's likely a browser hi-jack. Re-installing won't help, you'll need to get rid of the trojan.

Ray.
      Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

I think it is the Norton 360. I'd uninstall it and put something like the free edition of AVG on there.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

here's my suggestion:
          (Windows XP)
          Start>Network connections>click on your network card to select it
          on the left column there there is a section called Network tasks. After you selected the networking card, click on "Repair this connection"

That may fix it if everything is OK otherwise. Apparently the IP address of the computer and the DHCP IP address can get out of sync somehow and this reregisters the computer with the DHCP server (your router).
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-17-2008, 12:53 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

Thanks for the suggestions. I will print this out and pass it on to LOML. She downloaded spybot to a memory stick yesterday but hasn't run it yet.
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

Working...