• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

CPSC Recalls. PARENTS ALERT!

These recalls are for products that have resulted in infant deaths. I know there are plenty of parents, grand parents, aunts and uncles here, please share this information.

This message consists of the following:

1. Infant Death Prompts Recall of Convertible Cribs by Playkids USA; Crib Poses Entrapment and Suffocation Hazards (http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09015.html)

2. My Way Corp. Recalls Baby Walkers Due to Stairway Fall Hazard
    (http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09014.html)

1. Infant Death Prompts Recall of Convertible Cribs by Playkids USA; Crib Poses Entrapment and Suffocation Hazards

NEWS from CPSC
    U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
    Office of Information and Public Affairs Washington, DC 20207

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    October 16, 2008
    Release #09-015

Firm's Contact: (718) 797-0302
    CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
    CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908

Infant Death Prompts Recall of Convertible Cribs by Playkids USA; Crib Poses Entrapment and Suffocation Hazards

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), in cooperation with Playkids U.S.A. of Brooklyn, N.Y. is announcing today a voluntary recall of about 2,000 convertible cribs. The sides of the convertible crib are made of a mesh that expands, creating a gap between the mattress and the side through which an infant can slip. This poses suffocation and entrapment hazards for young children.

CPSC is aware of the death of a 5-month-old child on August 31, 2008 in Brooklyn, N.Y. The child became entrapped between the mattress and the drop side rail of the convertible crib and suffocated.

This recall involves the Playkids U.S.A. convertible crib/playpen/bassinet/bed with model number PLK-909. "Playkids U.S.A." can be found on the packaging and on a label sewn into the side of the crib. The model number can be found on the packaging. The convertible cribs have a drop side rail, a stationary side rail, a canopy assembly, and a bassinet. The sides of the convertible crib, the mattress support, the bassinet, the canopy and the bedskirt are covered in fabric and mesh. The fabric and the mesh come in a variety of colors and patterns.

The convertible cribs, which were made in China, were sold in juvenile product retailers in New York from March 2007 through September 2008 for about $100.

Consumers should stop using the recalled convertible cribs immediately and contact Playkids USA to receive a full refund.

For additional information, consumers should contact Playkids USA collect at (718) 797-0302 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday.

To see this release on CPSC's web site, including pictures of the recalled product, please go to:
    http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09015.html

2. My Way Corp. Recalls Baby Walkers Due to Stairway Fall Hazard

NEWS from CPSC
    U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
    Office of Information and Public Affairs Washington, DC 20207

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    October 16, 2008
    Release #09-014

Firm's Recall Hotline: (787) 758-5848
    CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
    CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908

My Way Corp. Recalls Baby Walkers Due to Stairway Fall Hazard

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of Product: Baby Walkers

Units: About 800

Manufacturer: My Way Corp., of San Juan, Puerto Rico

Hazard: The walkers violate the baby walker voluntary standard and can fit through a standard doorway and are not designed to stop at the edge of a step. Babies using these walkers can be seriously injured or killed.

Incidents/Injuries: None reported.

Description: The recalled walkers were sold for babies 6 months and older. The walkers were sold in the following colors: pink, red, green, blue, and ivory. The walkers have an activity tray with a steering wheel and other toys. "My Way Corp" is printed on a sticker on the front of the walker.

Sold at: Independent discount stores in Puerto Rico from November 2004 through March 2008 for between $18 and $25.

Manufactured in: China

Remedy: Consumers should stop using these walkers immediately and return them to the store where purchased for a full refund.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact My Way Corp. collect at (787) 758-5848 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday.

To see this release on CPSC's web site, including pictures of the recalled product, please go to:
    http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09014.html

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of serious injury or death from more than 15,000 types of consumer products under the agency's jurisdiction. Deaths, injuries and property damage from consumer product incidents cost the nation more than $800 billion annually. The CPSC is committed to protecting consumers and families from products that pose a fire, electrical, chemical, or mechanical hazard or can injure children. The CPSC's work to ensure the safety of consumer products - such as toys, cribs, power tools, cigarette lighters, and household chemicals - contributed significantly to the 30 percent decline in the rate of deaths and injuries associated with consumer products over the past 30 years.

To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury, call CPSC's hotline at (800) 638-2772 or CPSC's teletypewriter at (800) 638-8270, or visit CPSC's web site at www.cpsc.gov/talk.html. To join a CPSC email subscription list, please go to www.cpsc.gov/cpsclist.aspx. Consumers can obtain this release and recall information at CPSC's Web site at www.cpsc.gov.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by dbhost
    Sold at: Independent discount stores in Puerto Rico from November 2004 through March 2008 for between $18 and $25.
    Exactly how many of our forums members, family or guests do you believe shop or live in Puerto Rico?
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

I can't answer that but, when it concerns a child's safety, one is enough.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Black wallnut
        Exactly how many of our forums members, family or guests do you believe shop or live in Puerto Rico?
        Uh, well, I'm one...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• jussi
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Pappy
          I can't answer that but, when it concerns a child's safety, one is enough.

+1.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• Daryl
            • May 2004

A lot of this is parent stupidity. How many of us would leave a kid un-attended in a walker at the top of the stairs. Being a parent demands constant vigilance.
            Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

Working...