• Show
Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Concrete cutting sleep deprivation

They're doing new sewer lines, curbs, sidewalks, and repaving the street around the corner from my house.

They are paving with concrete. During the day they poor the concrete. Then, starting at approx. 11:30pm, they start cutting it into tiles (for expansion/contraction and settling, I guess) with a giant concrete cutting saw.

Last night they started at 11:30 and worked until about 6:30am.

They got one block done last night. Now they will do another block tonight.

They have claimed that they can only do the cutting at night. They have said it is a quality issue.

The noise is so incredibly loud I honestly don't understand why the people that live closer have put up with it.

Any of you guys know concrete? Is there any truth that they need to do it at night?
  • Popeye
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Woodbine, Ga
    • Grizzly 1023SL

My guess is it's really a traffic congestion issue. Pat
    Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

Originally posted by Popeye
      My guess is it's really a traffic congestion issue. Pat

When I worked in asphalt/street work, that was it. Especially on main roads/bridges, etc. Part of the crews hated it and didn't want to work the shifts, others loved it due to the extra money from night shifts.

It makes one want to go out and start their lawnmower at midnight doesn't it?
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by cgallery
        They have claimed that they can only do the cutting at night. They have said it is a quality issue.
        It's probably about the quality of the pour during the day. If it really is a quality issue.

Or it could be about the poor quality of the new cut joints, which look much better in the dark.
        Erik

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Doesn't your community have noise ordinances? Get on the phone and insist the gentlemen in the blue uniforms that your tax dollars pay, do their jobs and cut that noise out.

Of course if this is legit, the contractor will have a noise waiver from the city, in that case, anything further I have to say would be political, so I should merely suggest ear plugs...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• cgallery
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Milwaukee, WI
            • BT3K

Originally posted by dbhost
            Doesn't your community have noise ordinances? Get on the phone and insist the gentlemen in the blue uniforms that your tax dollars pay, do their jobs and cut that noise out.
            I did that last time (about two weeks ago). This time they (city hall) sent a letter out saying don't bother calling, they aren't sending the men in blue, and they aren't stopping the cutting. That, the cutting has to be performed at night.

My only guess is that they are worried about cracks from shrinkage/settling and need to start cutting right away to prevent problems.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • On the TARDIS
              • BT 3100

It could be that if left too long, the concrete will be too hard to cut properly or as cleanly.
              From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• gerti
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Pour in the night, cut in the day?

Comment

• gjat
                  • Nov 2005
                  • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
                  • BT3100

I've been around road construction for about 25 years. Quality concerns are only part of the issue. Yes, the concrete needs to set a certain amount to before putting the cuts in, and you can't wait too long or you will get cracks as the concrete cures further.
                  The second issue is the amount of time it takes to do a section of road. Working the 24 hour shift greatly increases the speed they can restore the road and move on. Instead of being there weeks, they can do the same in days.
                  Opening a concrete plant for a few pours at night is not financially practical. You'd pay 3 to 10 times as much for the concrete, depending on how many yards.
                  The City realizes it will get complaints just for the road being closed, dust, noise, etc., working during the day. They made the decision to get complaints for night work too and get the work done 3 times faster which is also a safety issue to have the road completed sooner.

Comment

Working...