• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

LG Customer Service (Rant)

At least a not so reasonable facsimilie thereof. When part of the plastic door latch on my microwave broke we bought an LG unit to replace it. It lasted 45 days and we have been trying to get warranty satisfaction ever since. The story is best summed up in an e-mail I sent out tonight.

On July 30, 2008 my wife and I purchased an LG microwave, model LRM1260SW, serial number 803TAWM00961, through the Best Buy store in San Marcos, TX. After 45 days of use the microwave failed to heat food. We first contacted Best Buy and were told it was outside of their 30 day return policy and the warranty would have to be handled by the manufacturer.

During my initial call to customer service on September 17, 2008 I was told that LG did not support this model with service.

On September 18, 2008 my wife contacted your Customer Service department and spoke with David. David told her that within 3 business days we would receive a packet containing return information and a return mail label for the defective microwave and that once it had been received by your company we would receive a check within 7-10 working days for the $113.65 cost of the unit.

Believing the issue had been resolved, I contacted Panasonic and purchased the parts necessary to repair the microwave your unit was to have replaced.

The next contact was a letter from your Customer Advocacy Group dated September 24, 2008 stating that to resolve the problem you needed a “Proof of Purchase” and “Related Work History”. On October 1, 2008 my wife contacted the Customer Advocacy Group at the number provided in the letter and spoke with Troylynn. After receiving a copy of the sales receipt via fax, Troylynn told my wife that we would receive a check for $113.65 along with a shipping label and pick–up authorization to return the defective unit within 10 days.

Today, October 10, 2008, I received a letter dated October 03, 2008 from Stacy Casals, Supervisor, Customer Information Center. This letter states that to receive “reimbursement up to the amount of $113.65”, I need to purchase a new LG microwave (LG, Goldstar, Sunbeam) within 90 days, send a copy of the receipt and the labels from the old unit to the LG Microwave Reimbursement Department. After your company gets this letter from me, the letter states that I will be issued a check in 6-8 weeks. My wife immediately contacted the Customer Information Center and spoke with Aura. Aura told her that all conversations with customers are recorded in the Consult file word for word and there were no entries from either David or Troylynn. Aura also told her that LG does not issue refunds and further stated that we would receive the full original purchase price even if we replaced it with a lower priced unit, contradicting the wording of the letter.

Considering that this process is taking almost twice as long as the microwave worked, the fact that I have repaired and am using my previous Panasonic microwave, and that promises made by two different representatives of your company failed to materialize, I have no desire to purchase or use another of your products.

In addition to the addresses listed above, a printed copy of this e-mail is being sent via US mail to Michael Ahn, CEO/President, LG Electronics, USA; 1000 Sylvan Avenue; Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632.

Thank you for your assistance in resolving this issue.

Don A Griggs
    GySgt USMC/Ret

The copy and this cover letter is sealed and ready to go out in tomorrows mail.

October 10, 2008

Mr. Michael Ahn
    CEO/PresidentLG Electronics, USA
    1000 Sylvan AvenueEnglewood Cliffs, NJ 07632

Dear Sir:

Enclosed is a copy of an e-mail that I sent to your Customer Service Department for your information. The e-mail details the problems I have experienced with the warranty on a defective LG microwave.

I thought you would be interested in seeing how your company is being represented.I can only hope that the lack of consistency, concern, knowledge, and honesty exhibited by employees in the different departments we have dealt with in your organization is the exception rather than the rule.

If you have any questions, my wife or I can be reached at xxx xxx-xxxx.

Sincerely:

Don A Griggs

GySgt USMC/Ret
    Last edited by Pappy; 10-15-2008, 01:51 PM.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • billwmeyer
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Weir, Ks, USA.
    • BT3000

rant

Way to go Pappy. I would also recommend that you send a copy to your states attorney general or what ever they call them in Texas. Good luck.

Bill
    "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• TB Roye
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

Well there goes the Stainless Steel Dutch Door 27cf Refridgearator LOML was going to buy at BORG next month. Is that company from Germany or China?
      I would report them to BBB, you state consmer protection agency or any one else you could. Call the local TV station if they have a consumer reporter and tell them. Here in Sacramento we have a TV station with a very good consumer protection reporter and staff and they get results.

Tom

Comment

• mpc
        • Feb 2005
        • Cypress, CA, USA.
        • BT3000 orig 13amp model

LG is a Korean company I believe.

Several folks I know have had LG stuff fail pretty quickly too... "LG" now stands for "Lousy Garbage" to them. To be fair though, I know some people that are totally satisfied with some LG stuff too. I avoid LG stuff myself though.

mpc

Comment

• Hoover
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2003
          • USA.

LG appliances, made in Korea, is the same company as Goldstar. Goldstar trademark goods were lower shelf (poorer quality). When they marketed their products as LG, it sounded more upscale.
          No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

I had a LG monitor. It failed way before the warranty period was over, and the warranty place for it, is within a mile of my house.
            LG refered me there, yet they told me they don't work on LG stuff, as they had yet to be paid by them, for past warranty work.

I think I have one LG item that was purchased after that. A cd burner, that was picked up used for $1. That is about what they are worth to me.
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

It seems that Best Buy should be the one to replace the unit, or deal with their supplier. By stepping out of the picture, that's a bad rap for Best Buy. It's not like you got tired of the color and it took 45 days to realize it.

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

Sorry about the jammed together copy of the e-mail. It posted like that and I was too tired to fix it last night.

Originally posted by Hoover
                LG appliances, made in Korea, is the same company as Goldstar. Goldstar trademark goods were lower shelf (poorer quality). When they marketed their products as LG, it sounded more upscale.
                Sunbeam is another of their brands.

My current cell phones are LG and I haven't had a problem with them. As a matter of principle, the next ones will come from a different company.

As a side note, I have only had 5 microwaves since the late 70's. All of them were were Panasonic except this one and a small $42 GE I bought to use while I was getting the parts I needed to fix my big one.

I will give this route a few days to work before reporting the matter to the AG's office.
                Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• radhak
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • Miramar, FL
                  • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

You should look up the Better Business Bureau's branch for your location, and complain to them. This could be done on their web, or by phone (or both). Bigger companies don't like to get onto the bad books of BBB for minor (for them) amounts, and try to remedy it.

I have successfully chased down $214.34 from AT&T in the past that I contested. The process was that in a few days after the complaint (forget, maybe a couple of weeks), a BBB rep onferenced me with an AT&T rep, and it was resolved within the phone call itself and I got the check a week later. (You'd do well to use the same, detailed content for your complaint and during the call).

for anybody interested, my case was
                  - we had AT&T cell phone service
                  - wife used the cell phone to call international via an 800-number calling card
                  - the calling card rates were around 5-10 cents per minute
                  - AT&T charged us around $4 per minute !
                  - Their reason : they don't allow using a calling card from a cell phone !
                  Me : you never told me that! They : everybody knows it !
                  - so, they allowed the international call and charged their 'regular' rates
                  - me : but did i not ask for all direct international calls blocked on my service, and was told that's the way they default it to?
                  (this when I ordered the service)
                  - they : sure, but a couple of months back, we changed to the default to 'allow international calls' !
                  me : but i never knew that! they : everybody knows it !

It's amazing how stupidly people can talk when they are representing an organization. I'm sure that rep would see the silliness of her responses if she read all that again...
                  It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                  - Aristotle

Comment

• jhart
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                    • BT3100

Originally posted by Hoover

It's still a Goldstar in disguise. I quit buying Goldstar a long time ago and will not buy the LG brand either.

I spent 25 years in the Consumer Electronics world and there are a few really good manufacturers, but most cut corners and costs and it shows up in the long run. Just like the tools we buy.
                    Joe
                    "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• Ed62
                      The Full Monte
                      • Oct 2006
                      • NW Indiana
                      • BT3K

Thanks for letting us know how LG handles problems. One of my daughters has had an LG big screen TV for about a year, with no problems that I'm aware of. But after hearing the issues with you, I won't be buying any LG products.

I had an issue with a Sony monitor, a few years ago. They're policy was 180 degrees from what you're telling me about LG. After sending me 4 monitors, I still had a problem, and they issued a full refund in short order. Even though I did have a problem with the monitor, I've had several other Sony products that had a long life. I wouldn't hesitate to buy their products again.

Ed
                      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2003
                        • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                        • BT3100

Hey Don,

I pass right by their building every morning going to work, would you like me to deposit a small present at their doorstep for you?

Bruce
                        "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                        Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• scmhogg
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                          • BT3000

Hey Bruce, will it be in a flaming paper bag??

Steve
                          I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 2003
                            • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                            • BT3100

Actually,

I was think more along the lines of gift wrapped road-kill

Bruce
                            "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                            Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• Pappy
                              The Full Monte
                              • Dec 2002
                              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen
                              Actually,

I was think more along the lines of gift wrapped road-kill

Bruce
                              Nuke a couple of possums in one of their ovens and leave it for them....Door open...front down....
                              Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

Working...