You have to be over 50 to truly understand this.....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gordons
    Established Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Charlotte, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100

You have to be over 50 to truly understand this.....

Maybe over 60 if you can identify the motor vehicle she's sitting in!!!

Gordon
    I'd rather be a hammer than a nail
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

That appears to be an approximation of a 1950 Studebaker Commander Starlight Coupe. And no I am NOT over 50, not even within a decade away from it... Just love old cars...

BTW, I like the 1957 Hawk, and the 1934 Presidential better than the Commander Starlight. Better styling IMHO. The Avanti still holds up styling wise... Pity the independent auto MFGs in the US went the way of the Dodo bird... There were some mighty fine machines back in the day. Rambler, Studebaker, DeSoto (okay a Chrysler brand), Willys, I could go on and on... Not all the same car in every driveway...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• TB Roye
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

Back in the late 50's when I was teen ager a friend stuffed and 348 chevy in one of those. Had to put a bubble in the hood to clear the 2 4's but it was done right and a very nice car. It would eat Vetts for lunch.

Tom

Comment

• RAFlorida
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2008
        • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
        • Ryobi BT3000

Studebaker it is.

They were oil burners, but would last a looonnng time. Reminds me of the ol' '48 straight 8 Buick I had. But the Hudson Hornet was king. But back to Pickles, That was priceless. Had to show it to loml; she doesn't have too much of humor...

Comment

• LinuxRandal
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Independence, MO, USA.
          • bt3100

Originally posted by RAFlorida
          They were oil burners, but would last a looonnng time. Reminds me of the ol' '48 straight 8 Buick I had. But the Hudson Hornet was king. But back to Pickles, That was priceless. Had to show it to loml; she doesn't have too much of humor...

They never do when it hits close to home.

Love the car. There was a four door for sale a few blocks from me a couple of years back. I was tempted. Heck, when I was a kid, a baby blue Stude was the rage, and I knew a few people that had their trucks.
          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Hoover
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2003
            • USA.

If I remember correctly the Commander was the deluxe version and the Champion was the economy version.

Also I remember Packards, and the Henry J with the eyebrow windshield(1951?) Also there was a Crosley car and a pickup model. The Nash Metropolitan, and the Hudson Hornet that RA Florida mentioned. The Hudson won @ Nascar in the 50s.
            No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• WayneJ
              • Jan 2004
              • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

There was a compamy back in the 50s that made a " studallac " I think they were out of Long Island.
              Wayne J

Comment

• herb fellows
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • New York City
                • bt3100

Originally posted by dbhost
                That appears to be an approximation of a 1950 Studebaker Commander Starlight Coupe. And no I am NOT over 50, not even within a decade away from it... Just love old cars...

BTW, I like the 1957 Hawk, and the 1934 Presidential better than the Commander Starlight. Better styling IMHO. The Avanti still holds up styling wise... Pity the independent auto MFGs in the US went the way of the Dodo bird... There were some mighty fine machines back in the day. Rambler, Studebaker, DeSoto (okay a Chrysler brand), Willys, I could go on and on... Not all the same car in every driveway...
                Just a factoid on the Rambler (of which I owned several):
                It was, as far as I know, the only car that pictured a woman driving it rather than a man on the cover of the manual.
                You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• cwithboat
                  • Jan 2008
                  • 47deg54.3'N 122deg34.7'W
                  • Craftsman Pro 21829

Originally posted by WayneJ
                  There was a compamy back in the 50s that made a " studallac " I think they were out of Long Island.
                  The Studillac was a common hot rod conversion. Cadillac V8 in a '55-57 Studebaker. Could be some one marketed them.
                  regards,
                  Charlie
                  A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.
                  Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Whit
                    Established Member
                    • Apr 2003
                    • Denton, Tx, USA.
                    • BT3000, BT3100

50 Studebaker

I had one of those when we got married in '52 and went to Colorado on our honeymoon. Drove it up Pikes Peak and the fuel pump did not have a cover on it and it vapor locked. Had to get a rag and soak it in water running down the mountain and put on the fuel pump to make it to the top. LOML called it my "fishbowl" car.
                    Whit

Comment

• Whaler
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Sequim, WA, USA.
                      • DW746

I have owned a few of the oldies, some I would like to have now and some that were a real piece of crap.
                      Crap list:
                      1937 Dodge convert w/rumble seat
                      1951 Henry J
                      1960 Fiat 600
                      Keeper list:
                      1942 Chev 4 Dr
                      1947 Chev 2 Dr Business Coupe {engine tweaked}
                      1949 Ford 2 Dr {engine tweaked}
                      1963 Ford Galaxy 500 2 Dr HT Big Block 4 on the floor (factory)
                      Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• Texas splinter
                        Established Member
                        • Mar 2003
                        • Abilene, TX, USA.
                        • BT3100

My first car was a 4-door Champion, in a grey color. It got me around, it had been my mothers car. I really loved it because, even tho I was one of the "geeky" kids (a term that didn't exist in the 50's) the girls loved to let me give them a ride home from the football games. It is cold at night during the fall in Portland, Oregon and the Stude had the heater outlet under the passenger side of the front seat, ducted forward and aft. Since it had the molehair (mohair?) upholstery, the seat warmed up fast and felt really comfortable after sitting on bleachers or metal chairs for a few hours.
                        All the "cool" guys had hot rods with tucked and rolled interiors, cold in the winger, hot in the summer.
                        Like I said, I loved that car...;~)
                        "Aspire to inspire before you expire."

Chuck Hershiser
                        Abilene, Texas

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Yeah, well.. I am on the young side for remembering these cars. By the time I could drive they were classics. BUT...

There was a fellow that lived down the street from my best friend in high school that had an early 50s silver Studebaker pickup, that was kind of a frankentruck. It was a cab and front clip off of one good one, a bed off of another, and a custom clipped frame from a 1975 Chevrolet K10 (1/2 Ton 4x4) with the Dana Spicer model 44 axles, and model 300 transfer case.

The bed wood was redone with beautifully finished walnut strips, as were the interior knobs. The seat was the stock Stude bench.

In the family we have had Nash / Rambler / Willys / AMC / Packard / and Studebaker of all sizes shapes and colors.

I've only seen a Crosley once in person, a few Henry J's,

And yes, the Studellac is something I have actually seen a couple of. They were basically a retrofit of a Cadillac engine / transmission into a Studebaker body.

Not long before the company failed, they had a show car called the "Mercerbaker" which was effectively a clone of the 1937 Mercedes Benz 500K touring roadster, but powered by Studebaker components.

After the failure of the Studebaker nameplate, several assets were sold off, including the plans and tooling for the Avanti, and Mercerbaker. Those models lived on for quite some time, the Avanti under the Avanti nameplate, and the Mercerbaker under the Excalibur nameplate. I recall seeing an Excalibur in the mid 1980s, as a touring limousine.
                          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• gsmittle
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2004
                            • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                            • BT 3100

My first car was a 1968 Rambler Ambassador, with front seats that reclined level with the back seat. My girlfriend at the time called it "the playpen."

Oddly enough, I didn't do woodworking in this playpen...

g.
                            Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                            Bill & Ted

Comment

Working...