• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MikeMcCoy
    • Nov 2004
    • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
    • Delta Contractor Saw

A long day in Charleston

This isn't near as bad as the folks going through the hurricane recovery but my normally smooth daily routine was a little less than routine. I was coming back from downtown around 11:00 and my truck died on me. Of course, I was doing 70 in the outside lane of the busiest interstate interchange in Charleston (no shoulder) but managed to dodge across 6 lanes of traffic to get to the right shoulder. I call a friend at work and have them look up the number to the tow company. Of course I can't hear with the windows down and by now it's about 105 plus inside the truck and I'm drenched with sweat. I call the tow company and they said they would be there in a hour and got my number for a call back. Of course, all this sweat is running into my cell and now it doesn't work. The only option since I won't get the tow company call back is to walk two miles to the next intersection and beg the use of the phone at the Caldwell Banker office which of course they let me use.... since I'm drenched and they probably think I'm going to rob them.

They weren't scared long as they listened to me talk to the tow operator to explain again where I'm broke down and why I won't be able to answer the call back (of course they are trying to stifle their laughter and failing miserably). Of course there must have been 30 cops drive by that never even looked like they would consider stopping till I got about 50
    feet from my truck and notice there's a state trooper parked behind me writing a ticket for my abandoned vehicle (which he was good enough to tear up). Add to this that when I call Enterprise rental (I only called them because they have pick up service from the garage), the only thing they had was a cargo van which is now in my driveway.

The topper was when I got home .... I have two elderly Macaws and people who have parrots usually realize that the critters don't like things out of the routine and Max (my oldest and meanest) dislikes change more than most. His perch looks out onto the driveway and of course there's this ugly white van sitting there and he doesn't like
    it. I opened his cage door and since he has been fairly mellow lately, I
    wasn't paying attention as he lunged and bit the crap out of me.

I next set a steak out that I was going to have tonight and went out to light
    the gas grill..... Of course, this day has to be consistent and I'm out of
    propane and charcoal lighter for the other grill.

I think it's time to make a margarita and call it a day.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

in houston we have safe clear towing ont he freeways... the city contracts with wreckers to pull your disabled car off the freeway within about 15 minutes of breakdown and deposit you and your car at the next relatively safe place off the freeway.

I think its a good idea, too many people are getting killed
    1. trying to get out of their car stranded in the inside shoulder or
    2 staying in the car and getting killed by someone driving into it or
    3 getting killed crossing the freeway
    you get hit even if you stop on the outside shoulder and it causes traffic jams.

There was some issues over who pays for it, arguments abbout people who couldn't afford it etc. so now the city just pays for them all but you only get it to the next safe place.

I think its a good idea.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• shoottx
      Veteran Member
      • May 2008
      • Plano, Texas
      • BT3000

Sorry for the tough day! And with your luck, today would not be a good day to clean any firearms
      Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
        • Nov 2004
        • Delta Contractor Saw

The real bummer was the reason for going downtown in the first place. I needed to pick up some contract papers so I could walk them through to get funds released by tomorrow. By the time I was through with the other fiascos, the government contracts office was closed. Needless to say, I didn't bother buying any lottery tickets today.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

Some days, it just doesn't pay to get out of bed... Problem is, you never know if today is one of them until it's too late...

In FL we have a program funded by tax dollars called "Road Rangers". They have service trucks with traffic arrows and flashers that roam the highways, helping stranded motorists out with gas, tire changes, battery jumps and other simple mechanical tasks (at no cost), plus means of communication and preferred towing calls. You can also hit them up for a lift to a nearby place of sanctuary, repair facility, bus station, etc.

They stick to the busiest roadways during rush hour, and there's never one far away, particularly since they are hooked into the State Troopers, who will call them in if you haven't already been found.

The program was implemented in the state in the early 90's to coordinate the efforts of the many individual "good Samaritan" services operated by car dealerships, service shops, etc. It's a pretty good program, and you might call your Highway Safety Dept. or Dept. of Transportation to see if something like this could be implemented in your state.

Comment

• goslin23
            Established Member
            • Feb 2007
            • Richmond, TX
            • Rigid TS3650

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            in houston we have safe clear towing ont he freeways... the city contracts with wreckers to pull your disabled car off the freeway within about 15 minutes of breakdown and deposit you and your car at the next relatively safe place off the freeway.

I think its a good idea, too many people are getting killed
            1. trying to get out of their car stranded in the inside shoulder or
            2 staying in the car and getting killed by someone driving into it or
            3 getting killed crossing the freeway
            you get hit even if you stop on the outside shoulder and it causes traffic jams.

There was some issues over who pays for it, arguments abbout people who couldn't afford it etc. so now the city just pays for them all but you only get it to the next safe place.

I think its a good idea.

Ah, so that's why there's 50 tow trucks showing up at every accident/break down. With all the flashing lights on those wreckers, it makes the scene look way worse than it usually is!

-=gos=-
            If it ain't one thing... It's 12 @#$%ing things!

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

no actually, GOS, I think it's been done well, the surveillance cameras on the freeway are monitored by Metro Transit and they call for one wrecker. (of course, Ike wiped out many of the cameras this weekend).
              The accidents, well, that's another story that's when 50 wrecker drivers converge based on police scanner monitoring.

UC, we also have MAP - motorist assistance program run by the Harris County sherriff, you can call them outside the city of Houston, they can give you a lift, jump start help with a flat or minor repair to get you going. 1-800-call-map will bring them to you near Houston.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jackellis
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2003
                • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                • BT3100

In metro areas like the one we live in, I'm happy to know my taxes are being used for services like the one Loring mentioned. It's well worth the modest cost. However, not all of us live in the city or spend a lot of time there.

My wife has been a member of AAA for years and she buys me an annual membership, too. We've used their roadside service a couple of times for dead batteries and once when I left her with an empty tank in our airport car (who knew, the gauge had been inop for years). However...

About six weeks ago, I was driving said airport car from Tahoe City to Reno for a business lunch when it quit on a steep road called the Mt. Rose Highway. Busted timing belt. First call is to cancel the lunch since I'm not getting there any time soon. Next call is to AAA. A wrecker appeared about 45 minutes later and towed the car and me the 30 or so miles back to where I started. No charge. I'm keeping that card with me from now on because the "new" airport car is my 16 year old daily driver.

Of course, I then had to spend $80 for a taxi to the little airport about 15 miles away so I could fly myself home.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2007
                  • Sunshine State
                  • BT3000

Around these parts, the AAA towing services are notorious for taking a couple hours or more to come to your aid, and then they will only take you as far as the nearest garage. Pretty shabby, considering the AAA headquarters are only about 20 miles up the road...

Comment

• crokett
                    The Full Monte
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Mebane, NC, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by MikeMcCoy
                    I think it's time to make a margarita and call it a day.
                    How's that margarita taste?

We have AAA. I've used it twice. First time wrecker came in a little over an hr. I still had the Pathfinder then and they needed the flatbed for 4WD vehicles. Second time it took about 1/2hr. Both times the driver took me approx 25 miles to my mechanic. They say they will tow up to 100 miles.
                    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• skipwill
                      Established Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Columbia, SC, USA.

Man, Mike...not a fun day!

Hope today is better...
                      Skip
                      www.ShopFileR.com

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
                        • Nov 2004
                        • Delta Contractor Saw

Thanks Skip -- It could only get better and did. I got that paperwork walked through which just happened to be use or lose money and is also my funding for the next fiscal year.

Comment

• skipwill
                          Established Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Columbia, SC, USA.

Fantastic...glad you "got r done"..

BTW, I grew up in the Holy City and surrounding area. We still come down there often as most of my immediate family is still in Hanahan and Mt Pleasant. Great town imho.
                          Skip
                          www.ShopFileR.com

Comment

Working...