• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Left-Handed Mousing

Ugh. Did something dumb moving furniture when we painted my daughter's bedroom. Nothing serious but will be doing left handed mousing for a few days. I hate it already.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Have you tried paint remover?

Comment

• ironhat
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
      • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

As long as you're not walking funny you should be OK!
      Blessings,
      Chiz

Comment

• BobSch
        • Aug 2004
        • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
        • BT3100

Just as you'll find right-handed difficult when you can switch back. I speak from experience.
        Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Mr__Bill
          Veteran Member
          • May 2007
          • Tacoma, WA
          • BT3000

Want to really frustrate yourself? Open Paint or some such program, select the paint brush and try to write your name.... have the kids watch. You will have the whole family laughing. Well all but one perhaps.

Bill

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

I will have to have major surgery on my right hand before too much longer, and since I make my living using CADD, I have had to explore the prospects of left-handed mousing for about 6 months as I recover. I tried it (several times) and I hate it... It is painfully slow, and there is no way I'd ever meet a deadline. I will ultimately have to either close down while recovering (financially unfeasible) or get a draftsman to put my work in print (and basically split my income). Neither is a very good prospect.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

i thkn there may be some options in control panel>mouse
              that you can select for left or right handed use. Maybe just swaps some buttons... check it and see.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• crokett
                The Full Monte
                • Jan 2003
                • Mebane, NC, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

Already done that Loring, but I still hate it. As my dad put it once 'you drive a computer faster than anyone I've ever seen'. I'm the guy with the pointer tracking speed set as fast as it will go. I had to slow it down for my left hand. There is just too much fumbling going on.
                David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• ironhat
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2004
                  • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                  • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Hey David, sorry for the wise-acre response. I didn't realize the seriousness of your situation. As the frustration builds just remember that it's a matter of muscle memory and that comes with use. Nothing else will get you the dexterity that you require so try to be patient while your hand and brain get the communications established. Best of luck to you while you recover. You will be in our prayers!

EDIT: Well, as usual I got things fouled up. It's you, U.C., that I should have addressed these comments to for the most part although, the same holds true for David to a lesser degree. The prayers and blessings still hold for both of you.

Blessings
                  Last edited by ironhat; 09-16-2008, 01:47 PM. Reason: See EDIT
                  Blessings,
                  Chiz

Comment

• pelligrini
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • Fort Worth, TX
                    • Craftsman 21829

Uncle, Crockett,

You might try using a trackball pointing device. Like the older ones that had one big ball in the middle. Looks like logitech still makes a version linkage
                    Erik

Comment

• Schleeper
                      Established Member
                      • Feb 2008

I'm about as right-handed as you can get, but I've been "left-mousing" for several years. I figured I'd never be able to do it, but a bout with carpal tunnel convinced me that I should give it a whirl. As Bob said, now it feels funny using the mouse on someone else's computer with my right hand.

In case you're interested, I'm using a wireless Microsoft Optical Mouse, and I've swapped the left and right button functions.

I think you're going to be amazed at how quickly you adapt.
                      "I know it when I see it." (Justice Potter Stewart)

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                        The Full Monte
                        • May 2007
                        • Sunshine State
                        • BT3000

Originally posted by Schleeper
                        I hope you're right, but 3 weeks of missing deadlines didn't make it happen for me. Forty years of drawing with my right hand is making it very difficult.

Comment

• crokett
                          The Full Monte
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Mebane, NC, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by pelligrini
                          Uncle, Crockett,

You might try using a trackball pointing device. Like the older ones that had one big ball in the middle. Looks like logitech still makes a version linkage
                          I have one, but unfortunately the ball is on the right (under the thumb). Tough to use that left handed. It also doesn't have a scroll wheel. I'd miss that more than mousing right handed.

Originally posted by Schleeper
                          Basic stuff - email, web browsing isn't so bad. What is annoying is the highlights for cut n paste, etc. I am also used to the right hand leaving the keyboard to mouse, so have to adjust to that too. Plus once I get to more editing of files, etc for my wife's website tonight I know I will be aggravated.
                          David

Comment

• BobSch
                            • Aug 2004
                            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                            • BT3100

Originally posted by crokett
                            ...Plus once I get to more editing of files, etc for my wife's website tonight I know I will be aggravated.
                            Perhaps pre-medicating yourself with a dose of the liquid of your choice would help?
                            Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• crokett
                              The Full Monte
                              • Jan 2003
                              • Mebane, NC, USA.
                              • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by BobSch
                              Perhaps pre-medicating yourself with a dose of the liquid of your choice would help?
                              I thought about that actually. I wouldn't be aggravated but I don't think I'd get much work done either. But then, I probablu wouldn't care.
                              David

Comment

Working...