• Show
Clear All
  • scmhogg
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
    • BT3000

Local Train Crash

I live a couple of miles from a train crash scene in Chatsworth, CA. A Metrolink passenger train ran head on into a long freight train. This area has a single track that uses a tunnel that runs through the mountain between the San Fernando Valley and the Simi Valley. The freight train hit the passenger train seconds after emerging from the tunnel.

The passenger train was on its way to the Simi Valley station, which is about 1/2 mile from my home. LOML and I can't avail ourselves of the train because it has a limited schedule. And, the courts do not.

The latest is 10 dead, over 40 badly injured. The impact was such that the engine of the Metrolink was pushed backward, half way through the first passenger car. The rescue/recovery is still going full force and occupying all the local channels.

We don't know if we know any of the riders. I hope my telephone doesn't ring tonight.

My question is: How on earth could this happen?

How can two trains going in opposite directions collide on a single track? Don't we have tons of technology that could prevent this?

Steve
    I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Originally posted by scmhogg
    Don't we have tons of technology that could prevent this?
    Not as long as humans are involved...

Comment

• Tom Hintz
      • Feb 2004
      • Concord, NC, USA.

I just saw an update on MSNBC and the numbers of both dead and critically injured are going up. This is looking very bad indeed.
      Tom Hintz
      NewWoodworker.com LLC

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

usually the result of human failure or multiple equipment failures. or both.
        there has to be an assignment to use the single track at one time and then something has to keep track of when that section is clear and available for the other direction to use and be assigned.
        either the assignment procedure failed and both got assigned simultaneously or the in use tracking failed and something thought the track was now clear, or else somthing else failed and the train did not wait for the assignment.
        its not that complicated but there are critical signals everywhere than can't be wrong or ignored or the price is high.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

My wife takes the local commuter train into DC every morning. Although there
          are "drivers" on the train, the trains are monitored and directed by controllers
          in Florida. Air traffic controllers make mistakes for planes. I don't see how it
          would be any different for trains on the ground.

Comment

• jackellis
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
            • BT3100

I lived in London for 18 months. While I was there they had a head-on accident coming into Paddington station, moments after I departed on a train for Heathrow airport to catch a flight for San Francisco.

There are multiple trackways and many signals but apparently the driver of one train was not paying attention and ran a stop sign.

Comment

• Ed62
              The Full Monte
              • Oct 2006
              • NW Indiana
              • BT3K

I saw that on the news. It's something you hope you'll never be a part of.

Ed
              Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• JackAZ
                Forum Newbie
                • Sep 2004
                • Tucson, AZ, USA.

I don't hgave any experience with train accidents, but have been involved with many aircraft incident and accident investigations, and the one overiding and consistent factor that drives the conclusions is that it is never one thing but a series of causal items all of wjhich had to occur for the incident to take place. The amazing thing is that if any one of the actions had not taken place, the accident would likely not have happened.
                Jack

Comment

• JR
                  The Full Monte
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Eugene, OR
                  • BT3000

I just heard on the radio that LA Metrolink suspects driver error on the part of their guy. Apparently ran a red light.

JR
                  JR

Comment

• BobSch
                    • Aug 2004
                    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                    • BT3100

Another part of the problem is probably that passenger trains are running on tracks owned by the freight lines. Whent two organizations share right-of-way it just adds another layer of complexity and that much more chance for error.
                    Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• kramer katt
                      Established Member
                      • Aug 2004
                      • SO CAL, USA
                      • BT3100 and Craftsman 100

thats almost exactly the situation here. Only the passenger train Metrolink owns the tracks and the freight line has leased passage. This is the opposite of most of the Metro system however.
                      Metrolink has stated the engineer failed to heed a red signal and move to side spur but NTSB has started investigation and will not comment on cause yet.
                      Our condolenses to all the families of victims. This should not be happening in out modern times.
                      KK
                      Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler
                      --Albert Einstein

Comment

• scmhogg
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                        • BT3000

Metrolink said they are responsible for the crash. They admit that the driver, ignored or missed a red light. The engineer was a temp from an agency, not a Metrolink employee.

The most alarming information revealed, is that the engineer was text messaging with teenage train enthusiasts up to one minute before the crash.

Steve
                        I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

Working...