• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Movie and TV gripes/peeves

What gripes you the most about movies or TV shows?

While reading this post by David seen here, I thought about one of my pet peeves of action movies:

The main good guy and main bad guy can put a bullet between the eyes of the none star opponent while either is moving at full speed - until it gets down to the last two . . . and then they miss each other for the next five minutes. This just kills any sense of potential reality the plot is digging for. (Pardon my preposition at the end.)

This bugs me about movies and TV shows. I guess age and seeing so many of these pin point accuracies turned "can't hit the broad side of barn" movies and TV shows, that I loose interest when the "showdown" action finally starts. It is so predictable.

What is your gripe or peeve in "film presentations" these days?
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

My guess is that if somebody caps the hero (or the villain) in the first 5 minutes, the plot line might drag somewhat from that point...

I do know what you mean, though. So many movies nowadays are totally boilerplate and predictable. I hardly bother with first-run stuff any more. At today's prices, I'll let others see it first, and then go see whatever passes muster.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

As an electrical engineer, I know that the larger the control room instrument setup, the bigger the plant explosion is going to be when the good guy pushes the bad guy during the climactic fight and the bad guy accidentally bumps the wrong button.

Also, in movies, ever notice how every car that falls off a cliff explodes in a ball of fire when it hits the bottom?
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• shoottx
        Veteran Member
        • May 2008
        • Plano, Texas
        • BT3000

How come Superman can deflect all 6 bullets from the revolver with his chest and then ducks when the gun is thrown?
        Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

I'm always in wonderment how fast someone spurts blood immediately right out of clothing when shot. We all know that doesn't really happen don't we.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            Also, in movies, ever notice how every car that falls off a cliff explodes in a ball of fire when it hits the bottom?
            Sometimes, even before it hits bottom...

Comment

• radhak
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2006
              • Miramar, FL
              • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Nobody kill me for this, but I hate that big hollywood favorite - The Kiss. Particularly at the climax of the movie or sequence or something, when the idea is to show two people making a connection or starting something between them, etc.

Very few carry it off as spontaneous; mostly, it's jarring and obviously 'because the director said so', not because the emotions of the two involved get to that point. The trilogy of Lord of the Rings is very dear to my heart, and the movies came so close to doing justice to it. But the kiss at the end of the 3rd movie was so cringe-making, absolute humbug, that I have not seen it again ! Same with Matrix.

My kids are the very young age where any kiss gets them to go 'eewww, gross', but they don't know that I go that way too, but for different reasons. It's come to a point I cannot name one movie now which got it right; I am sure there are some, but nothing pops into my mind right now.

While I'm at that, the kiss that was real 'natural' (but a laugh), was in 'The Graduate'. Anybody get what I'm talking about ?
              It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
              - Aristotle

Comment

• dkerfoot
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2004
                • Holland, Michigan
                • Craftsman 21829

The biggest one of all time for me were the Star Wars Storm Troopers.

Why do they wear the white armor when it apparently offers zero protection from phasers, rocks or logs? Did it ever deflect ANYTHING? Was a Storm Trooper ever merely wounded?
                Doug Kerfoot
                "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                KeyLlama.com

Comment

• sparkeyjames
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Redford MI.
                  • Craftsman 21829

Commercials and in movie product displays.

Comment

• Pappy
                    The Full Monte
                    • Dec 2002
                    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 (x2)

"Reality TV"! The idea of sticking a bunch of strangers in a house or on an island and filming the bickering, fighting, and assorted back stabbing seems to be a way to produce a show without the need for writers or scripts.

The one that I don't understand is "The Amazing Waste", I mean "Race". A contest to see who can run through a foreign airport and buy tickets to the next country on the list the fastest.

A contest show can be entertaining at times. (America's Got Talent, Dancing With The Stars type shows) wonder if Julian will be back on "Dancing" since she started a new singing career......
                    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                    Fools because they have to say something.
                    Plato

Comment

• Thalermade
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Ohio
                      • BT 3000

[quote=Uncle Cracker;366899]My guess is that if somebody caps the hero (or the villain) in the first 5 minutes, the plot line might drag somewhat from that point... /quote]

Police Squad!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_Squad!

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
                        Bandsaw Box Momma
                        • Apr 2005
                        • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

Originally posted by Pappy
                        wonder if Julian will be back on "Dancing" since she started a new singing career......
                        I heard the answer to that was that she was going to be back on the show and that her partner is going to be a guy from the Disney show Hannah Montana.

I guess my thing in the movies is how they never have to reload a gun and "improper" gun handling.
                        Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

• docrowan
                          • Mar 2007
                          • New Albany, MS
                          • BT3100

We refuse to watch any reality shows. I watched a 30's movie yesterday - The Philadelphia Story with Cary Grant, Kate Hepburn, and Jimmy Stewart. My wife and I laughed aloud at several points and I had to keep rewinding to catch all the double-entendres, puns, and witicisms. The vast majority of what Hollywood and New York produces now rely on body part gags, blatant sexual references, and club-you-over the head humor. Since that has seemingly become apparent, they've begun to produce the reality shows where now script is required, you just coach people to act obscene, rude, and generally unsocial. Just what America needs to see these days.
                          - Chris.

Comment

• BobSch
                            • Aug 2004
                            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                            • BT3100

Give me Turner Classics, the Discovery and History Channels any day over anything on commercial TV.
                            Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                              Veteran Member
                              • Oct 2006
                              • On the TARDIS
                              • BT 3100

I always hated the dinner scenes( mostly 70's tv). Why did they cram six people on one side of the dinner table and leave the other side open?

How about the "live studio audience"? What kind of audience would they use?

Doctor shows: Everyone is dying until the amazing revelation ten minutes before the show ends!

CSI: There are so many possibilities but they always pick the right one the first time.

How many more do you want? Is it any wonder I spend more time in the shop than in front of the tv!
                              From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...