Google's World Domination : a browser called Chrome!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Google's World Domination : a browser called Chrome!

So Google is now working on a browser called Chrome. Looking at all the details, most of the work must already be done, and the baby might be due very soon .

I love Google products, particularly their interface, so am looking forward to Chrome, even if this is another step towards the Complete Google World of tomorrow...
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • annunaki
    • Jan 2008
    • White Springs, Florida
    • 21829, BT3100, 2-BT3000(15amp)

Firefox

I switched to Firefox about two years ago and would never go back to Microsoft IE. Firefox is so much better.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileodecahedron.gif

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by annunaki
      I switched to Firefox about two years ago and would never go back to Microsoft IE. Firefox is so much better.
      And IE keeps getting worse. According a new reports, IE 8 (beta) hogs more resources than Windows XP itself !
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• dealweb
        Forum Newbie
        • Mar 2006

The bigger question is privacy. I wonder how much of the surfin' you do with Chrome will be sent back to Google.

Comment

• radhak
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2006
          • Miramar, FL
          • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by dealweb
          The bigger question is privacy. I wonder how much of the surfin' you do with Chrome will be sent back to Google.
          No bigger than with the other browsers, I guess?

In any case, it could not be any worse than IE - there was a time in the past you could not download Firefox using IE ! Talk of browser 'restrictions', or rather, 'big brother browser'!
          - Aristotle

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

I'd like to see it in action - I am intrigued by each tab running in a separate memory space. Also, if the phishing/malware filters work as well as the spam filter does on Gmail, then I will be running Chrome.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• crokett
              The Full Monte
              • Jan 2003
              • Mebane, NC, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Download page is up but it looks like the page is busted.

http://gears.google.com/chrome/?hl=en

You can click the link to download Chrome but when you click 'accept and install' nothing happens.
              David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Russianwolf
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                • One of them there Toy saws

I come to you from Chrome.

Worked fine for me. When it installs it even pulls info from IE so you may not have to reenter everything.
                Mike
                Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

I come to you from Chrome also. I tried a different link that worked. Weird.

So far it is fast and very clutter free.
                  David

Comment

• radhak
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • Miramar, FL
                    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I was able to download, but the installer does not work as it's just a stub, and I am within a proxy/firewall. I don't see a place to input my proxy server details .

I'd have thought they'd have thought of that...
                    - Aristotle

Comment

• bthorne
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Oct 2007
                      • Ruckersville, VA
                      • Craftsman 21829

Posting this from within Chrome as well. Seems to be fairly speedy to me, especially with switching tabs. Keyboard shortcuts are similar to firefox, and it imported my firefox bookmarks and history during install.

Since it passes the initial sniff test, I think I'll be using it for a few days to see whether I really like it.
                      --
                      Bryan

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2007
                        • Tacoma, WA
                        • BT3000

First impression, I don't care for it. Love Firefox and perhaps it's just different enough to put me off.

Mangled my bookmarks on import, could not handle folders with the same name and no easy way to manage them.

Even clearing all history a new tab still brings up the most visited page, this would be rather a problem come Christmas shopping time.

One of the things I like about FF are the add-ons, I like being able to not play scripts and having flash not start automatically.

I'll play with it but for now nothing to want to make me switch.

Comment

• radhak
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2006
                          • Miramar, FL
                          • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

finally managed to get on it, but it does not play nice for me. I don't get any images ! Not here on BT3, nor any other site. And their 'options' are limited, so dunno why it hates me so ?
                          - Aristotle

Comment

• bthorne
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Oct 2007
                            • Ruckersville, VA
                            • Craftsman 21829

Even clearing all history a new tab still brings up the most visited page, this would be rather a problem come Christmas shopping time.
                            Looks like they did think about the Christmas shopping issue. Ctrl-Shift-N or clicking the dog-eared page icon next to the location bar lets you bring up an "incognito" window for just that purpose:

You've gone incognito. Pages you view in this window won't appear in your browser history or search history, and they won't leave other traces, like cookies, on your computer after you close the incognito window
                            --
                            Bryan

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2005
                              • Independence, MO, USA.
                              • bt3100

Originally posted by radhak
                              And IE keeps getting worse. According a new reports, IE 8 (beta) hogs more resources than Windows XP itself !

Was at my parents earlier this evening, when the storm hit. They lost power, so I went to shut down the computer. Microsoft decides it has to update during the shutdown, WTF?!?($#*$*
                              The dumb programers don't think there is a REASON you want to shutdown NOW (limited battery backup).
                              Originally posted by crokett
                              I come to you from Chrome also. I tried a different link that worked. Weird.

So far it is fast and very clutter free.
                              I tried the link here, and it appears ONLY for Windows.
                              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...