• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

How Do You Like Your...

After LOML and I became familiar and moved in together, we experimented quite a bit in the kitchen, and all the rooms for that matter. Weekend mornings are the best time for us to relax and have fun being creative with fun meals. We get up early, have our cups of coffee, and go through the paper sharing different sections, and checkin' out what's on sale, and who is in trouble.

I like to cook for her. Besides weekend mornings we have at least one maybe two nights a week that are "surprise" meals where anything that is fun and different might be on the menu. We might take turns with those presentations. It's the least I can do since she does magnificent meals the rest of the week.

This gets us down to the real issue here, being EGGS. I've always experimented with egg meals. They are fairly inexpensive, kinda cute, and require special handling. Took me a while to get the one hand break down pat.

The egg meal that is tops on my list is eggs benedict, especially the way LOML makes them. I may even skip F1 qualifying on TV to enjoy the meal with my better half. I won't say I'd miss the race though.

Next on my egg list is to hard boil eggs, and tap/crack the top half layer of shell off, place in a shot glass, and munch away with some rye or pumpernickel toast.

Actually at times, an omelette can be bumped to the top spot. I get crazy with the innards. Ive got a special pan and spatulas just for omelettes. I may just go with different cheeses, bacon, or even deli meats. I've used salami, or bologna, as a layer. I pre heat the meat in another pan, and dice it up and lay it in a nice fold. Of course there is the proverbial "egg sandwich" in which my rendition is an omelette type arrangement (flat) cut to fit the bread.

Instead of making a folded omelette, I might just roll it carefully from one edge of the pan all the way to the other edge like a long tube. Easier to just take sections off with a fork.

And last, is plain 'ole scrambled eggs. I like 'em dry. Any other egg fans here? Got any special recipes that aren't top secret?
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

I like 'em pretty much any way but raw... My most faves are: 1) fried both sides just crispy with seasoned salt and black pepper, 2) bacon, ham and cheese omelet (folded, rolled or open-faced), 3) scrambled just enough, with cayenne, cumin adobo and a touch of milk, and 4) deviled with cayenne instead of paprika.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
      Veteran Member
      • May 2003
      • Nanuet, NY, USA.
      • BT3100

I totally HATE eggs.

When I was really young (like about 4) I was a really skinny kid. My mother, in her Jewish wisdom, figured that eating eggs would fatten me up. So I got to eat 2 soft boiled eggs a day, for a loooong time.

I got so sensitized to eggs, that to this day I still cant eat them. In fact, until I was 40 or so, I couldn't even sit next to someone eating any kind of eggs, except maybe an omelet, without getting the urge to hurl.

Have a good breakfast, ya'll

Bruce
      "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
      Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by cabinetman
        .They are fairly inexpensive, kinda cute, and require special handling. .
        Except for 'inexpensive', that describes most of the women I have known!

To the subject of eating eggs, we raised chickens and eggs for breatfast was a daily thing when I was growing up. Prefer mine basted to medium in Chrisco at home. I have one cast iron skillet that stays in the oven with grease in it just for my eggs. I also have a 12" round cast iron griddle for omelets with my preference there being ham and a variety of cheeses. If I eat scrambled eggs I like them soft.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• Stytooner
          Roll Tide RIP Lee
          • Dec 2002
          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
          • BT3100

Chicken eggs, soft boiled, over easy, deviled. Osterich and Emu eggs need to be shared with others. They are just huge and I prefer those scrambled. Same with goose eggs.
          Lee

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • On the TARDIS
            • BT 3100

LOML and I have been trying to eat a little healthier; with her being diabetic and me hit with diverticulitus this summer. Ok, we try and cook healthier. We have been trying to avoid frying stuff in grease so when it comes to eggs, we hard and soft boil, poach, scramble or nuke. When we nuke our eggs, we mix them up like an omlette then cook them in a tub about the size of an English muffin-then put the egg in the muffin. It's like having our own egg mcmuffin at home and I don't feel the grease repeating on me.
            From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Here's a Poll to go with this:

This forum is for any topic that you would normally talk about at the office "around the coffee pot". Jokes, tall tales, and true stories are welcome as long as they are clean and in good taste. I only ask that you steer away from topics on religion or politics. Go ahead and pull up a chair and pour yourself a cup of coffee and enjoy the conversation.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
                Bandsaw Box Momma
                • Apr 2005
                • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

I don't eat eggs anymore. I used to as a kid and loved them but for some reason that I can not explain and I won't go into a whole lot of detail about this problem. But I can't eat an egg with out running into the bathroom within a couple of minutes or so too be sick. I never had that problem as a kid but now that I am all grown up I just can't eat them, even boiled.
                Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

I like them about any way I can get them except raw. My favorites are either scrambled w/cheese and veggies or deviled eggs.
                  David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• JeffG78
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
                    • BT3100

I only like them fried over hard. If there is anything runny inside, they aren't done enough.

On the other hand, I make Nestle's Toll House chocolate chip recipe, but I don't bake any of them. I eat the raw dough over a few days. Also, as a kid, my mom used to make me milkshakes and put a raw egg in. I couldn't really taste it, but it did make the shake rich and creamy.

Do these count as liking my eggs raw?

Comment

• pierhogunn
                      Veteran Member
                      • Sep 2003
                      • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

I like my eggs

In a simple american cheese omlet

Scrambled, a little wet

Turned into egg-nog (raw but pasturized)
                      slowly baked into a soft custard
                      or my favorite egg confection

1. Melt 1/2 bag of Ghiradelli 60% cocoa chocolate chips in the microwave in 30 second intervals at 50% power until melted
                      2. mix in 1 raw egg, and keep mixing until it's very, very silky, you'll know
                      3. fold in stiff whipped cream, you can add flavoring to the whipping cream before it's whipped

let it set up for about 2 hours ( if you can last that long) and share...
                      It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• pacwind3
                        Established Member
                        • Nov 2006
                        • Vancouver, WA
                        • Bosch 4100

How about Deviled?

Here's mine, I made it up about 15 years ago and bring them to most pot lucks at work. I've only have about two people in that amount of time NOT like them.

Hard boil you eggs. Cut them all in half and add the yokes to a bowl. I just eyeball the amount of ingredients, but use a 2-1 ratio of mayonaise to horseradish sauce. Make sure it's the sauce, it's milder. If you are using horseradish it self, cut way back on it. Just add to taste. Also add some dill pickle relish. A few tablespoons is all. Refill the halved eggs, sprinkle with paprika. Eat, repeat.

Comment

Working...