• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Desktop Icon Problem

Had lunch today with a buddy and we yaked about the Magic Jack that he cancelled. Anyway, he said he was on a website and went to copy some text and highlighted it. Then he can't remember if he clicked "save as", or "print", or just clicked something by mistake, but whatever he clicked highlighted all his desktop icons. He can't un-highlight them. Any suggestions?
  • Nilt
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2008
    • Seattle
    • Bosch 4100 with Gravity Rise

Sounds like Sticky Keys got turned on. Have him run through the steps here to kill the so-called feature.
    Nilt

If it's too tight, don't force it. Just get a bigger hammer.
    Frank Klaus

Comment

• Daryl
      • May 2004

Windows XP? Maybe a system restore would take care of it.
      Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• Ed62
        The Full Monte
        • Oct 2006
        • NW Indiana
        • BT3K

Originally posted by Nilt
        Sounds like Sticky Keys got turned on. Have him run through the steps here to kill the so-called feature.
        Yep. My wife has become a pro at holding the key down too long.

Ed
        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Nilt
          Forum Newbie
          • Aug 2008
          • Seattle
          • Bosch 4100 with Gravity Rise

Yeah. I do this a lot too. I have a .reg file that'll kill them on a given system that I keep around for whenever I have to reinstall.
          Nilt

If it's too tight, don't force it. Just get a bigger hammer.
          Frank Klaus

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Ctrl-A is normally the select all hot key, this will highlight all the desktop icons if used on the desktop.

To unselect all just click the left mouse key on an open area of the desktop...
            I guess your problem is not so simple, if you can't get them to un-select.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• RayintheUK
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2003
              • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
              • Ryobi BT3000

One of two things has happened. Try this:

He may have Active Desktop accidentally enabled:

Right-click on the desktop, hover on "arrange Icons by" - when the next context menu opens, deselect "lock web items on desktop"... problem solved.

or

System Properties>Advanced tab, under performance, click settings. In the Performance Options dialog box, check the second last option (Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop). This will get rid of the "Highlighted Icons" if that was how they became "highlighted."

Ray.
              Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

Working...