Office of Information and Public Affairs Washington, DC 20207

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    August 20, 2008
    Release #08-367

Firm's Recall Hotline: (800) 624-4320
    CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
    CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908

Electrical Wire Splices Recalled Due to Shock and Fire Hazards

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of Product: Electrical Wire Splices (also known as Butt Splice Connectors)

Units: About 53,000

Manufacturer: Molex, of Lisle, Ill.

Hazard: The splice can fail to hold the wires adequately together, posing a shock and fire hazard to consumers.

Incidents/Injuries: Gardner Bender has received one report of a recalled butt splice failing to hold wires together. No injuries have been reported.

Description: The recalled butt splices are used to connect electrical wires to one another. They are typically used for wiring small electrical appliances, like audio equipment, or in automotive applications. The splices are yellow insulated vinyl and measure about one inch long and ¼ inch wide. They were intended for use with 12-10 AWG wire. 12-10 is stamped on the side of the splices. Model numbers 10-126, or 21-126, and Gardner Bender are printed on the product's packaging. They were sold in packages of 8 or 50.

Sold at: Electrical distributors, hardware stores, and home centers nationwide from June 2005 through April 2008 for between $1 and $5.

Manufactured in: United States

Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using products that contain the recalled butt splices and contact the firm for free replacement splices.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Gardner Bender at (800) 624-4320 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. CT Monday through Friday, or visit the firm's Web site at www.gardnerbender.com

To see this recall on CPSC's web site, including pictures of the recalled product, please go to: http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml08/08367.html
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

I've had butt splices fail to hold wiring together more than once. I fixed it by using another splice and squeezing the pliers harder. I am not sure why they want to do a recall.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

I think a lawyer fussed just right...

Not sure what they could do with butt splices to make them work any better or worse. Unless they metal is goofy and breaks apart when it shouldn't...

I prefer to use solder joints where I can anyway. Only crimps I have on my wiring projects are on the off road lights on my truck, and that is ONLY the bullet connectors I crimped, slid the jacket down, soldered, then slid the jacket back up...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

Butt splices are by their very nature a weak mechanical joint. Anybody who uses this product should know that it has its limitations. You do not wire something in with butt splices, and then swing from it. You install with adequate slack, crimp with the proper force (and at the proper point on the splice) using the proper crimping tool (and the proper size splice to begin with), and then turn the slack back on itself and wire-tie it together. Shame the manufacturer has to hang for this, as I doubt this "recall" has anything to do with a defective product, but rather the impossibility of making this product "idiot-proof".

Comment

• BobSch
          • Aug 2004
          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
          • BT3100

I think I see the problem.

They are typically used for wiring small electrical appliances, like audio equipment, or in automotive applications. The splices are yellow insulated vinyl and measure about one inch long and ¼ inch wide. They were intended for use with 12-10 AWG wire.

10 or 12 guage wire on a small appliance? I'll bet people are using #14 stranded wire (regular lamp cord) and the splice has too big a diameter to hold it tight.
          Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• germdoc
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Omaha, NE
            • BT3000--the gray ghost

I am not an electrician. Any problems with butt splices I see around here I refer to the colorectal surgeon.
            Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

Originally posted by germdoc
              I am not an electrician. Any problems with butt splices I see around here I refer to the colorectal surgeon.
              I guess I need to get mine spliced, too. It seems that there's a crack in it...

Comment

• Hellrazor
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Abyss, PA
                • Ridgid R4512

I like the ones with the shrink tape on the ends... crimp and heatgun.

Comment

• Len
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Sep 2007
                  • Cary, NC
                  • BT3000

I suspect this was a case of the wrong size butt splice, the wrong crimping tool, and the wrong type of wire being combined, not a product failure. Unfortunately, Darwin's Law didn't work in this case, and we end up with a recall instead.

Oh, well.

Len

Comment

• gsmittle
                    Veteran Member
                    • Aug 2004
                    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                    • BT 3100

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                    I guess I need to get mine spliced, too. It seems that there's a crack in it...
                    Nice crack! Err, um...never mind...

g.
                    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                    Bill & Ted

Comment

Working...