• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • southernbob
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2008
    • South Florida

bees and more bees

The bee removal guys just left. I had a huge hive hanging down from my soffit. It is the same place where I had one removed several years ago. I check that location periodically and the last time I checked about 3 weeks ago there were no bees. The guy down the street had bees and he found a guy that would come and get them for free and save the bees, a hobby of his. I wasn't so lucky, as when I called him he said he was out-of-town and wouldn't be able to come and get the bees but he would have some else come. The guys that came said they couldn't do it for free and would have to kill the bees. They said that since "killer bees" are in this area of South Florida that they have to kill the bees (I don't know if true or not). They vacuumed most of the bees and sprayed the rest. I guess I will have to check the area more frequently and get them before it get bad. For what they charged, I could of bought a nice power tool.
  • Hellrazor
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Abyss, PA
    • Ridgid R4512

You could have sprayed them yourself for $10

Comment

• OpaDC
      Established Member
      • Feb 2008
      • Pensacola, FL
      • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by Hellrazor
      You could have sprayed them yourself for $10
      Better bee real fast though!!!

second star to the right and straight on til morning

Comment

• Ed62
        The Full Monte
        • Oct 2006
        • NW Indiana
        • BT3K

I'd be interested to hear if your other guy would do the job without killing them. I know you really have to be careful with killer bees.

Ed
        Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

we could go into the bee business.
          A small generator, and a HF 2 HP DC we could suck up those muthas.

but then what? Hmmmm.

Quite a few years back I had bees building a hive swarming beneath the sideing on the gables where it overlapped the brick wall. Some got in the house and my three year old was stung twice playing on the carpet. A couple of exterminators no-bid so I went to the chemical stores to see what I had...
          Some Malathion said, Caution, extremely toxic to bees. Well, what do you know.
          I used my garden sprayer on maximum stream and when the bees were quieter in the evening I sprayed as much as I could upwards from the bottom into the gap below the siding. It was a small opening and I really didn't get much up in there but I did wet the entire length of the opening.

Next day, not a bee to be found. That label was right.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-18-2008, 09:17 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

I had a yellow jacket's nest somewhere. Been looking for it all season and finally found it in the front yard last week. My eldest has been stung twice already, my sister once and the dog once so I just called the exterminator to come and take care of it. That was Thursday and haven't seen any activity since.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• ironhat
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2004
              • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
              • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

We quite nearly had a catastrophe with wasps this weekend. We had been using an unused dryer vent as a place to leave a key to the cabin. The wife and I have our own but the kids don't hence, the reason for the set out key. The other evening my wife spotted the wasps flying into the hood. I wait till dark and checked it out, hearing them in the duct behind the flap. Apparently, the last time the keys were accessed the flap was allowed to drop shut but not pushed tight. They were getting by the 1/16" gap left by our careless closing. We sprayed them and the next AM removed a nest just a bit larger than my open hand. I'm getting a chill thinking about it! I used to keep honeybees, otoh, but the thought of having Africanized bees in my neighborhood would have me out of the business in short order!
              Blessings,
              Chiz

Comment

• siloamga
                Forum Newbie
                • Sep 2003
                • Siloam, Georgia
                • BT3100

We had a recurring bee problem in our house in Mobile. You could see bee's swarming from our soffit. We had a friend remove them 2 or 3 times without spraying, but they kept coming back. I took my scope out in the yard and checked the soffit closely (it was way up there) and I saw a crack in the soffit joint. The bees were swarming from that crack. We called in the professionals and they sprayed and then pumped a chemical dust into the cracks. It poofed out from so many cracks and holes.

We then tore into the soffit and found about 70 pounds of honey in our soffit and our walls.

We found out that the bee's will smell the honey and come back to nest or carry it off. We cleaned it all out, replaced what needed to be replaced, washed the interior with detergent and then put the exterior siding back on and caulked really good.

No problem with bees since then.

Good luck.

Keith
                I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977).

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

Some hornets (yellow jackets on steroids) made an 8 inch nest in a matter of about 3 weeks under my swing covering. I decided to try a method that occasionally pops up here and there - A couple of tablespoons of liquid dish washing detergent and a gallon of water.

That was as effective and fast as anything I have ever used. And with the pressure in my sprayer, I was a good 10-12 feet away. As it turned out, I didn't need that much distance - because of the effectiveness of detergent water, but I would use at least the same distance next time too.
                  Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Mrs. Wallnut
                    Bandsaw Box Momma
                    • Apr 2005
                    • Ellensburg, Washington, USA.

The way Hank dealt with the bees reminds of a family reunion that we went to a few years ago at my aunt and uncles cabin up at Lake Cle Elum. One of my mothers cousins came up with a plan while we were eating as the bees were very bad that year....

He took a bucket and put some water in the bottom of it and then tied it into a tree branch and from the handle was another piece of string that held some kind of ham, turkey or something else the bees like...as they would eat the meat they would get full and then drop into the water and drown. He said the figured out that trick from a friend who backpacked quite a bit and had run into bee problems. It was amazing to see how many ended up in the water.
                    Mrs. Wallnut a.k.a (the head nut).

Comment

• Hellrazor
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2003
                      • Abyss, PA
                      • Ridgid R4512

The way to kill bees in a hard to reach location is easy. A bag of Sevin Dust and a turkey baster or garden duster. Blow as much of the Sevin in the opening and let them track it back to kill the nest...

Comment

Working...