That's when it all started

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • 6021
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

    #1

    That's when it all started

    Yesterday afternoon my wife was making a meal. She had it in the oven when the cheese boiled over, and made a mess of the oven. After dinner, she decided to clean the oven. That's when it all started. It is a self cleaning oven that generally does a good job, with no problems.

    As the oven was in cleaning mode, the smoke began pouring out, all throughout the house! The smoke alarm was activated, and kept ringing, even though we removed it from the wall. My dog was going beserk!!

    I grabbed a fan to put in the window, hoping to blow the smoke out. In my haste to raise the venetian blinds, one of the brackets broke, and the blinds fell on my head. My wife opened other windows, and she opened the front door. That's when my dog, a 90 pound German Shephard, bolted!! She has never been out of the yard unless she was on a leash. Not knowing what she would do, in the state of mind she was in, I left everything where it was, and went to get the car, so I might find her. As I was backing out of the garage, she came running down the driveway. That part was a blessing. I now had her in the fenced yard, where she belonged. It's hard to imagine how many different things can go wrong in a less than 5 minutes.

    Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

    For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • 15216
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

    #2
    That self cleaning ability to me is like overkill. I tried it once with an electric oven and had the same type of smoke problem. We now have a gas oven, and it's got the "SC" ability, but we don't use it. We clean the old fashioned way. We use our oven rarely, for big family gatherings like for turkey. But with 2 large German Shepherds (as you know), and 3 cats, we have a continual hair cleaning problem. So, each time we use the oven, we pull it out and clean under, in the rear, and underneath.

    We got used to using one of those small counter top electric broiler/oven combos with the flip down door. Better for two. I also had to relocate (several times) the smoke detector in the kitchen. Very sensitive little unit. Went off making toast.

    The rest of your mayhem is really what happens. Makes us think about the possibilities of chaos. Hope your head is OK.
    .

    Comment

    • LCHIEN
      Super Moderator
      • Dec 2002
      • 22084
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

      #3
      Gee, I was expecting as I was reading this that you went down to the yard, found your dog, but then discovered you were standing stark nekkid in the front yard as you had been in the shower at the time of the smoke incident.

      So see, things could have been much worse.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

      Comment

      • germdoc
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • 3567
        • Omaha, NE
        • BT3000--the gray ghost

        #4
        Some careful editing would make your post more interesting

        Originally posted by Ed62
        Yesterday afternoon my wife was making a meal. She had it in the oven when the cheese boiled over, and made a mess of the oven. After dinner, she decided to clean the oven. That's when it all started.

        As the oven was in cleaning mode, the smoke began pouring out, all throughout the house! The smoke alarm was activated, and kept ringing, even though we removed it from the wall. My dog was going beserk!!

        I grabbed a fan to put in the window, hoping to blow the smoke out. In my haste to raise the venetian blinds, one of the brackets broke, and the blinds fell on my head. My wife opened other windows, and she opened the front door. She has never been out of the yard unless she was on a leash. Not knowing what she would do, in the state of mind she was in, I left everything where it was, and went to get the car, so I might find her. As I was backing out of the garage, she came running down the driveway. That part was a blessing. I now had her in the fenced yard, where she belonged. It's hard to imagine how many different things can go wrong in a less than 5 minutes.

        Ed
        I deleted a few sentences to make it more concise (and humorous)...
        Jeff


        “Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

        Comment

        • Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • 7091
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

          #5
          Jeezus, Ed... Sometimes, your day starts out sucking from the get-go, and then just gets worse. Hope today is better (how could it not be?).

          Comment

          • Richard in Smithville
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • 3014
            • On the TARDIS
            • BT 3100

            #6
            Originally posted by LCHIEN
            Gee, I was expecting as I was reading this that you went down to the yard, found your dog, but then discovered you were standing stark nekkid in the front yard as you had been in the shower at the time of the smoke incident.

            So see, things could have been much worse.

            I was waiting for the part where the neighbours saw all the smoke pouring out and called the fire department. Try explaining that one to the wife's cooking
            From the "deep south" part of Canada

            Richard in Smithville

            http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

            Comment

            • Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • 7091
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

              #7
              At least he didn't back out and run over his dog...

              Comment

              • crokett
                The Full Monte
                • Jan 2003
                • 10627
                • Mebane, NC, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

                #8
                Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                At least he didn't back out and run over his dog...
                I was expecting the story to go there. Glad it didn't.
                David

                The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

                Comment

                Working...