Just wondering if anyone here is ambidextrous? I'm predominantly right
    handed but there are some tasks I can do better with my left hand or can't
    even do competently with my right hand. Some are actually woodworking
    related. For example, I can't hammer worth a darn with my right hand but
    no problem using my left. I also do all my hand sawing (rough cuts and
    dovetails) with my left hand. My dad's right handed (although he shoots
    his gun from the left) so he taught me everything from the right. With
    powertools, I'm right handed.

In non-WWing world, I brush my teeth with my left and I can write in cursive
    backwards (mirror image) with my left but can't write forward with my left. I
    also have a lousy backhand in tennis but hit a forehand shot using my left
    hand.

All you righties, is it easier for you to hold onto your bicycle handlebars with
    just your left or right hand? For me holding it with my left feels natural. With
    just my right hand, I'm wobbly.

Any other oddballs out there?

Paul
  • Kristofor
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2004
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

I'm a rightie, but there are a few things I do with my left.

The most common one is using the mouse, on 3 of the 4 PCs I use regularly the mouse is to the left of the keyboard (but still using a right handed button setup). In non-formal locations my glass/beverage is a left hand activity. I also throw a frisbee with the left hand.

And oddly, thinking about it now, most of the semi-automatic actions (covering a yawn, scratching, rubbing the forehead, etc.) seem to be primarily left handed activities.

With the exception of throwing a frisbee (dunno why that's the way it is) the others could all be considered secondary activities that you might do while the right hand was otherwise occupied... That's my guess at least.

Kristofor.

Comment

• Thalermade
      • Dec 2002
      • Ohio
      • BT 3000

Mostly a right hander
      All 3 of my brothers are left handed.
      I used to be able to catch and throw a baseball with either hand.
      I did teach myself to shoot basketball pretty well left handed. No problem shooting free throws with either hand.
      As for bicycling, I pedaled enough in my youth that I lost the wobble with my right hand.

Mechanically I do somethings left handed. Though I typically use my right hand.
      No problem starting nuts or bolts with either hand.

Now drinking, I usually do that left handed

I typed this with both hands
      Russ

Comment

• alpha
        Established Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Owensboro, KY, USA.

Interesting. My wife can write cursive with both hands at the same time. The left hand is mirror image backwards. She also has Dyslexia. Don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Bob

Comment

• Tom Slick
          Veteran Member
          • May 2005
          • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
          • sears BT3 clone

For most things my left hand is retarded. It can't throw a ball or write but put a wrench or ratchet in it and it functions perfectly, maybe even better then my right.
          Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
            The Full Monte
            • May 2007
            • Sunshine State
            • BT3000

I wish I was... Gotta have surgery on my right hand soon, and have to learn to mouse my CAD work left-handed for my job. Not looking forward to it...

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

I'm a rightie, but learning to use my left for more as time goes on (physical problems).

Comment

• Ed62
                The Full Monte
                • Oct 2006
                • NW Indiana
                • BT3K

I think everyone can do some things pretty well with either hand, but I have a hard time doing a lot of things left handed. Come to think of it, I have a hard time doing it right handed too.

Ed
                Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

is there not one of those sig lines somebody has that says, "I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous."?
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Hellrazor
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2003
                    • Abyss, PA
                    • Ridgid R4512

I am right handed, but I can do almost anything left handed (except write decently or pitch a ball). I just painted the hallway the other day and I needed to cut in at 6 doors & some chair rail and I did 50% right and 50% left handed. It all depended on what was the more comfortable way to paint. I can run any tools, including a circ saw just as well left handed. I can bat right or left handed too.

I hate running a chainsaw left handed though. I don't trust my reaction speed with that.

Comment

• leehljp
                      Just me
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Tunica, MS
                      • BT3000/3100

Although primarily right handed, I do domestic work left handed - sweeping , vacuuming etc. . . . Mainly because my dad taught me to bat left handed before I ever started elementary school. Tennis came naturally from a left handed position too.

With trembles off and on in my right hand (inherited from my mom's side of the family) I have to pick up filled glasses and cups with my left hand, especially if walking. Fairly comfortable with that.
                      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• RodKirby
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
                        • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

I'm one of the "sinister" (=lefty), ones.

Sport (I can just remember ) - kick right foot; cricket bat, tennis left, golf right.

WW left: all hand tools.

PC mouse right, typing 2 fingers of each hand
                        Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• gsmittle
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2004
                          • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                          • BT 3100

I thank my first grade teacher Mrs. Mobley for saying no when my dad pressured her to make me right-handed. I'm a pretty strong lefty, except I swing a bat right-handed. OTOH (heh) the common wisdom is you should bat with your dominant eye closest to the pitcher, which is why I bat right.

I could go on a rant about being a lefty in a righty world, but what's the point?

The buttons are reversed on my school-supplied POS laptop, which drives my students crazy. Otherwise, I don't have much of a problem with computers, since my Macs (10 or so at last count) have single-button mice. One thing that REALLY irks me about PC mice (mouses?) is the right-handed curve that makes holding the mouse in the left awkward. I have to hold it at an angle and not reverse the buttons.

g.
                          Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                          Bill & Ted

Comment

• p8ntblr
                            • Jan 2007
                            • So Cal
                            • Craftsman 22114

No but I wish I was. Especially in some of the sports I play. When I was really into paintball. Huge disadvantage when playing tourneys and not being able to shoot out of bunkers with my left hand. I tried practicing dribbling with my left in basketball but I could never get comfortable with it.
                            -Paul

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                              The Full Monte
                              • May 2007
                              • Sunshine State
                              • BT3000

I remember Shaq was once quoted as saying "I can dunk with either hand... I'm amphibious..."

Comment

Working...