• Delta

What's A Nanosecond?

This could use a good caption!!

• Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

I certainly wouldn't want to get hit with a golf ball that's nearly as big as a child...

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
      I certainly wouldn't want to get hit with a golf ball that's nearly as big as a child...
      How strong does the child have to be to hit a golf ball as big as himself?
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• dlminehart
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2003
        • San Jose, CA, USA.

Umm . . . Photoshop? Weird lighting on the ball.
        - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

Originally posted by dlminehart
          Umm . . . Photoshop? Weird lighting on the ball.
          I think I would tend to agree, the blurring around the ball looks "photochopped"
          Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
          techzibits.com

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

"FO.. ,sorry dad"
            Erik

Comment

• RodKirby
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
              • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

My definitions of the question:

1. The amount of time I have, to respond when LOML speaks to me - REGARDLESS of what I'm doing!

2. The amount of time I have, to do what she has "asked" me to do - REGARDLESS of what I am doing!

Failure on my part, of either of these, results in WWIII (and I don't mean woodworking)
              Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Technically speaking, people really don't have any idea how short a nanosecond really is.

I'm not an expert in golf, I follow tennis and baseball, where the velocity of the ball pitched or served is around 90 to 130 mph. Assuming the golf club is a bit longer than the tennis racket and the angular velocity is the same, I'm guessing golf ball velocities leaving the club face will be around 150 mph... a quick check on the internet seems to confirm this. Apparently the record is 204 mph, but that was a pro, so 150 mph is probably tops for a child, maybe 100 mph is more realistic.

Anyway we'll be very generous and use 150 mph which equates to around 225 feet per second.

Now how far is that ball?
                A typical 35mm camera with a 50mm lens has 39.6 degree field of view. Most cameras for recreational use will be similar to this. In the photo the ball takes up 1/3 of the field of view. By the way, someone commented on how fuzzy it was, I’m not commenting on the veracity, but if it were real life it would be fuzzy because its moving fast and its too close to the lens (depth of field seems to be set towards the background). Anyway, assuming the ball takes up 13 degrees and a golf ball is 1.68” diameter, then its is about 7.4” away from the camera's focal plane. Some cameras use a optical viewfinder which you have to put your eye to, others use a LCD display and you could be 10" away. Let's assume a viewfinder; add another inch to the camera thickness, call it 8.5” to the guy's face.

At 225 ft. per second, that’s 2.5 milliseconds to impact.
                Or, as we say in engineering, roughly 2,500,000 nanoseconds.

I'll bet he can't blink, though. It takes about 50,000,000 nanoseconds to blink.
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-28-2008, 02:14 PM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• pierhogunn
                  Veteran Member
                  • Sep 2003
                  • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

Admiral Hopper figured out that in 1 nano second, an electron can travel about 11 inches

that was one **** smart woman
                  It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• pelligrini
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • Fort Worth, TX
                    • Craftsman 21829

Loring, did you take into account of the probability that it is a plastic ball to go along with the plastic club? The dimple pattern suggests a formed plastic ball.

I would agree that the blurriness could be attributed to the depth of field.
                    Erik

Comment

• BobSch
                      • Aug 2004
                      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                      • BT3100

A nanosecond is the time between hitting Send and realizing you sent an email to the WRONG person.
                      Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• cabinetman
                        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                        • Jun 2006
                        • So. Florida
                        • Delta

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                        Technically speaking, people really don't have any idea how short a nanosecond really is.

I'm not an expert in golf, I follow tennis and baseball, where the velocity of the ball pitched or served is around 90 to 130 mph. Assuming the golf club is a bit longer than the tennis racket and the angular velocity is the same, I'm guessing golf ball velocities leaving the club face will be around 150 mph... a quick check on the internet seems to confirm this. Apparently the record is 204 mph, but that was a pro, so 150 mph is probably tops for a child, maybe 100 mph is more realistic.

Anyway we'll be very generous and use 150 mph which equates to around 225 feet per second.

Now how far is that ball?
                        A typical 35mm camera with a 50mm lens has 39.6 degree field of view. Most cameras for recreational use will be similar to this. In the photo the ball takes up 1/3 of the field of view. By the way, someone commented on how fuzzy it was, I’m not commenting on the veracity, but if it were real life it would be fuzzy because its moving fast and its too close to the lens (depth of field seems to be set towards the background). Anyway, assuming the ball takes up 13 degrees and a golf ball is 1.68” diameter, then its is about 7.4” away from the camera's focal plane. Some cameras use a optical viewfinder which you have to put your eye to, others use a LCD display and you could be 10" away. Let's assume a viewfinder; add another inch to the camera thickness, call it 8.5” to the guy's face.

At 225 ft. per second, that’s 2.5 milliseconds to impact.
                        Or, as we say in engineering, roughly 2,500,000 nanoseconds.

I'll bet he can't blink, though. It takes about 50,000,000 nanoseconds to blink.

Can't you be more precise than that?

Comment

• TB Roye
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                          • BT3100

It is still going to hurt when it hits dad or drives the camera back into his eye. I though it looked like a large plastic ball like my grandkids have. I have seen them hit one of those balls pretty hard and it will sting.
                          Tom

Comment

• ironhat
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2004
                            • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                            • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Nanosecond: The unit of time measurement on the planet, Ork.
                            Blessings,
                            Chiz

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by pelligrini
                              Loring, did you take into account of the probability that it is a plastic ball to go along with the plastic club? The dimple pattern suggests a formed plastic ball.

I would agree that the blurriness could be attributed to the depth of field.
                              Actually, I have to admit I did not take a good look at the club, let alone the ball. The club being plastic (a toy) makes me say my estimate of 150 mph for the ball travel is probably way, way over... a SHORT, PLASTIC club and a TOY ball and a SMALL Child maybe we're looking at 20-30 mph absolute tops... haha. Gives the photog an extra 10 million nanoseconds or so to flinch.
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA
                              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...