• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dewi1219
    Established Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Birmingham, AL

Originally posted by JeffG78
    Hmmm, now that you say that, I DO have the WRT110.
    So how's the range on it? Thanks.

Comment

• JeffG78
      Established Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
      • BT3100

Originally posted by dewi1219
      So how's the range on it?

I'm not sure yet. 90% of the time the laptop is one floor below the router and it works great. At times, I will take it out in the back yard which is ~120' from the router. Since I got the new router three weeks ago, I have not had the laptop out in the yard. Even my crappy old Netgear router worked fine at that distance, so I don't expect any problems with the Linksys either. I haven't tried any long distance testing.

Comment

• dewi1219
        Established Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Birmingham, AL

Well, after a few minutes on the phone with Linksys (following a long hold) I got the WRT110 up and running. So far it works like a charm. In fact, I'm typing this from the comfort of my couch. I tried the laptop all over the house, and even with the less-than-optimal location of the router I get a decent signal, three bars or better, everywhere in the house. I was pleasantly surprised to find that browsing speed actually seems slightly faster with the laptop than my desktop. The laptop is a few years newer and has a better processor, more RAM, etc. Thanks again for all the advice.

Comment

• pierhogunn
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2003
          • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

Buffalo WHR-HP-54G + DD-WRT

My suggestion, from personal experience, is

get a Buffalo WHR-HP-54G from ebay with dd-wrt loaded on it

It's like getting a brand new bt3100, tuned up by the experts, with a copy of every one of Rod's Jigs

the buffalo whr-hp-54g is one of the most powerful routers on the market today.

You can access every single little feature that you could ever want, and there is a truly massive online community, sorta like this one, that is dedicated to spreading the good word as it was.

You really can't go wrong for $100.95 with shipping

Oh, and I forgot the best part, you can get an aftermarket antenna for this thing, and crank up your transmit to 750mw.. literally burn a hole in your sheetrock if you have any blindspots in your house, and you have a graphical throughput monitor too boot.
          It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• tewilk
            Forum Newbie
            • Aug 2007
            • Augusta, GA

Originally posted by kirkroy
            What's a good setup for bittorrents with dd-wrt? I'm using dd-wrt on my bridging router (wrt54gs).
            The problem I have had with bittorrents have been with number of active ports, the standard firmware on most "home" wireless routers is set a low range that can not be adjusted. With dd-wrt, I was able to adjust the number of ports from 512 to 3000, which allow my router to continue to run while before it would lock up on me.

Comment

Working...