• Show
Clear All
  • OpaDC
    Established Member
    • Feb 2008
    • Pensacola, FL
    • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by dewi1219
    T It also has "channels" set up for news and weather that are customizable by area.
    So I wonder if I could set myself up in Aspen then play a game and be virtually skiing down a slope!

second star to the right and straight on til morning

Comment

• Rand
      Established Member
      • May 2005
      • Vancouver, WA, USA.

I have used Linksys and Belkin routers in the past. Both of them had problems, required frequent resets etc.

Currently I am using a Netgear router that has been rock solid. Fast, easy to use and I haven't needed to reset it ever. The Linksys model that was recommended above does indeed have a lot of firmware available for it. Unless you are planning and tweeking your router you probably don't need that capability.
      Rand
      "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like your thumb."

Comment

• os1kne
        • Jan 2003
        • Atlanta, GA
        • BT3100

I've setup 3 wireless networks with Linksys WRT54G routers and have never had a problem (after the initial setup). I don't know about how well they work with the Wii. I haven't needed to setup a network for a few years, so I don't know what else has come along that may be better than the Linksys.

I've never had any trouble with Netgear products, but I've never used their wireless products. I'm somewhat familiar with the Linksys setup interface, so if it were my decision - I'd go with the Linksys. If you're not familiar with either interface, it's probably a toss up, you're likely to be just as happy with either product and will likely have similar "bumps in the road" during setup for either product.

Good luck.
        Bill

Comment

• shoottx
          Veteran Member
          • May 2008
          • Plano, Texas
          • BT3000

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          Hmmm, I don't recommend Linksys because I "lost" at least 2 Linksys wireless router units to partial failures and had to replace them. Sounds like you are at 50%. I question the reliability of Linksys.
          It outlasted three laptops, In my world a laptop only last two and a half to three years. I was not concerned about the loss of a router at that point.

I guess it is all in your definition of the gadget's life expectancy.
          Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• dewi1219
            Established Member
            • Dec 2005
            • Birmingham, AL

I'm having some trouble finding the WRT54GL locally for a decent price, so it looks like I'll be ordering from Newegg if I go that route. The local Best Buys have the WRT100 on sale for $60, and they also seem to get decent reviews. Any opinions on it?

Comment

• pelligrini
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • Fort Worth, TX
              • Craftsman 21829

I let a co-worker convince me we needed a higher end router & wireless when our old one let the magic smoke out. We got a Cisco 800 series, and that thing was not fun to set up at all. I was used to linksys and other consumer grade devices.

I think Cisco just makes it totally difficult and counter intuitive so they can keep their classes filled.
              Erik

Comment

• Wood_workur
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2005
                • Ohio
                • Ryobi bt3100-1

I used 802.11g, and currently unless you are gaming wireless n is really just a fancy add on. g does everything you need, and its widely available.

and btw, I also use a $30 wireless router as well, so fancy gear isn't needed. just go to the closest store and buy the cheapest wireless router you can get.
                Alex

Comment

• tewilk
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Aug 2007
                  • Augusta, GA

The wrt54gl has a linux based kernel and for that reason it has been rewritten by open source authors to enhance the standard firmware. This is one reason this router is popular with the computer geeks, it can be modified for additional features. What is also interesting about this router is that is based on the original design and has more memory than the wrt54g which I find in most stores... not the wrt54gl which typically I would have to mail order. I'll paste a link to an open source firmware that is great... but the key thing you can see is the speed of the cpu and memory that is in these units. With this in hand you can shop for the unit that should be "faster" because of the memory and cpu speed. The open source firmware gives you extra configuration options that are helpful if you use bittorrents or anything that has lots of tcp/ip connections. The standard router with small memory foot prints typically lockup once you start using high amounts of open connections like with p2p (i.e. bittorrents). Also linksys has been known to keep this connect/port count to low number (like 512) to force users into the more expensive units. If you are only going to use the internet, "G" will be fine. The N units do have a greater working range and the speed is faster (better for video or file transfer between computers on YOUR network). If you buy a "N" unit be sure to buy one that has multiple antenna so if you have "G" devices then it can transfer at the "N" speed on a different antenna.

Supported Devices,Supported Devices,All Asus WL-500xx series routers,Asus RT-AC56U,Asus RT-AC66U,Asus RT-AC66U B1,Asus RT-AC68U,Asus RT-AC88U,Asus RT-N10U,Asus RT-N12,Asus RT-N66U

Comment

• kirkroy
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2007
                    • Brunswick, MD

What's a good setup for bittorrents with dd-wrt? I'm using dd-wrt on my bridging router (wrt54gs).

Comment

• leehljp
                      Just me
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Tunica, MS
                      • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by Wood_workur
                      I used 802.11g, and currently unless you are gaming wireless n is really just a fancy add on. g does everything you need, and its widely available.

and btw, I also use a $30 wireless router as well, so fancy gear isn't needed. just go to the closest store and buy the cheapest wireless router you can get.
                      Alex,

I have to disagree with that. I am not a gamer at all, yet I am experiencing the benefits of "n" now that I have it.

I did not add in my posting above one other situation that prompted me to change. I was in Thailand recently for a 10 day meeting in which our company had secure "n" AND "g" network setups. LOML's "n" notebook was quite a bit faster in downloads than and links than my "g" notebook. I mean by that - several seconds. This happened daily. When LOML hooked to a "g" network, she said it seemed slower. It was this final event that pushed me to order an "n" card for my laptop.
                      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Wood_workur
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2005
                        • Ohio
                        • Ryobi bt3100-1

Originally posted by leehljp
                        Alex,

I have to disagree with that. I am not a gamer at all, yet I am experiencing the benefits of "n" now that I have it.

I did not add in my posting above one other situation that prompted me to change. I was in Thailand recently for a 10 day meeting in which our company had secure "n" AND "g" network setups. LOML's "n" notebook was quite a bit faster in downloads than and links than my "g" notebook. I mean by that - several seconds. This happened daily. When LOML hooked to a "g" network, she said it seemed slower. It was this final event that pushed me to order an "n" card for my laptop.
                        yes, but for your AVERAGE, user, and I'm not saying your not average, but your average user will check e-mail, and possible browse the web. if you are going to be downloading a lot, yes wireless n is great, but if you check e-mail, and browse the web a little, I have noticed little performance gain between wireless g and a wired connection, except when downloading large files and gaming. Other than that, on web browsing, in my experience, the two were very close.

the only reason I would really invest in a wireless n system is if I needed the greater range, or had a faster connection that was bottled necked by the wireless g.

But if you are going to be sending large files between computer, then wireless N would be of help.

But then again, maybe my internet connection is bottle necking my setup which is why I see such little gain with wired. But I as well have at&t dsl, the 768mb/sec setup.
                        Alex

Comment

• leehljp
                          Just me
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Tunica, MS
                          • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by Wood_workur
                          yes, but for your AVERAGE, user, and I'm not saying your not average, but your average user will check e-mail, and possible browse the web.

the only reason I would really invest in a wireless n system is if I needed the greater range, or had a faster connection that was bottled necked by the wireless g.

But if you are going to be sending large files between computer, then wireless N would be of help.

But then again, maybe my internet connection is bottle necking my setup which is why I see such little gain with wired. But I as well have at&t dsl, the 768mb/sec setup.
                          OK, I get you now, and you hit my situation with the 1. range, 2. large files.

1. The n wireless router is in our office (home) and there is a thick book shelved (and filled with books) wall between the office and the living/family room, where we use our laptops the most. So with the N, the strength the of 'n' signal is increased due to better range. This would speed things up for me and did.

2. We both get about 100 to 200 email a day with about 20 or so documents or PDF files, so we probably use more bandwidth than the average home user. (Our organizational business correspondence and daily work schedules are usually coordinated via email.) In this environment, I find/see the advantage of n over g, but an average user may not.
                          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• JeffG78
                            Established Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
                            • BT3100

Good information here. I will add that I had a Netgear router and it died after only a year and a half. I recently switched to a Linksys and it is much faster in both loading pages as well as initial startup after coming out of sleep mode. They are both "g" units. My current Linksys is the WRT100. I DID have trouble installing it though and had to call tech support. The disc that came with it could not find my older desktop's network card. I had to wait on hold for a long time, but once I connected, they were very good. The tech said it happens all the time and he walked me through setting up the router manually. Once done, it worked great.

Comment

• dewi1219
                              Established Member
                              • Dec 2005
                              • Birmingham, AL

I went to Best Buy at lunch and picked up a Linksys WRT110 - I think it's basically the same as the WRT100 JeffG78 has except it includes rangebooster. BB didn't have the WRT54GL, and the WRT110 was only $60. Hopefully it will work for what I need. Thanks for everyone's input.

EDIT: I remember now that the WRT110 is different than the WRT100. The WRT100 has external antennae and the WRT110 has an internal "antenna array". I hope the range on the 110 is good since the internal array doesn't lend itself to upgrading the antenna.
                              Last edited by dewi1219; 07-24-2008, 01:48 PM.

Comment

• JeffG78
                                Established Member
                                • Jan 2007
                                • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
                                • BT3100

Originally posted by dewi1219
                                EDIT: I remember now that the WRT110 is different than the WRT100. The WRT100 has external antennae and the WRT110 has an internal "antenna array". I hope the range on the 110 is good since the internal array doesn't lend itself to upgrading the antenna.
                                Hmmm, now that you say that, I DO have the WRT110. It has the rangeboost, internal antennae and was $59.99.

Comment

Working...