What's a good microscope or telescope for kids?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alex Franke
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Chapel Hill, NC
    • Ryobi BT3100

What's a good microscope or telescope for kids?

My just-turned-four-year-old has been increasingly interested in seeing some very tiny and far away things, so I think my next tool purchase may instead be a microscope or telescope. But I haven't used either since high school and I know next to nothing about them. So now I'm starting my research here.

Anyone have any advice? Also, where to buy?

It sounds like he wants to start off with "the real thing" rather than the colorful plastic toy variety. Maybe something that'll last a few years or that he can grow into if his interest wanes in the short term.

I'm probably looking to spend ~$200 for both or ~$100 each. We'll probably start with the microscope and see how that goes first. Nothing fancy -- just something of reasonable quality to see if there really is an interest. (Oh, and if we do get a telescope, I'm aware of the danger -- there will be no looking at the sun without the appropriate apparatus!)

On a preliminary search, this digital microscope looked interesting, and so did this student microscope. And another that shines light from either above or below. . . I didn't even think about that, which goes to show how much I need advice! :lol:

...and as far as telescopes so, I got lost after I saw the words Dobsonians and Cassegrains...
    online at http://www.theFrankes.com
    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

on microscopes, the key to getting the most satisfaction is the lighting... either through lighting for which you need to prepare slides or lighting from above for opaque objects which is difficult with high magnification to get a bright light source in there. You need to know how you're going to light your samples. I have not looked at microscopes since white LEDs became available - that might be a good solution.

For telescopes, you need to decide, terrestrial or astronomical. THen go from there.
    One important difference is whether or not the image is inverted. Very disconcerting for terrestrial use but of little consequence for astro.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-23-2008, 01:31 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Hi Alex - I don't have any current recommendations for a telescope, but if you're kids continue to show an interest as they get older, I'd seriously consider building a more advanced scope. There are lots of plans and how-to tutorials around the web.
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• avbclark
        • Jul 2006
        • Cottonwood Heights, UT
        • BT3100 and BT3000

USB Microscope

I bought this for my 3 yr old grandson. His Mom loves it because she can use it with or withiut the stage. Great for bugs and pond scum etc.
        http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/ele...c/77aa/?cpg=ab

Comment

• Alex Franke
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2007
          • Chapel Hill, NC
          • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks, guys -- good advice.

Astronomical for the telescope.

I'd love to be able to see what I'm getting before I buy it, but I have no idea what kind of store would stock microscopes... I had a similar problem with world globes -- not a single one at either of two malls. Seems like they used to be everywhere and now I'm forced to buy blind or hunt down a teacher's supply store... (sigh)
          "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Alex, IIRC hobby shops sell microscopes. Hungates used to - I dunno if they still have a store in University Mall.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• uncle al
              Forum Newbie
              • Dec 2002
              • CA, USA.

Look on the MEADE company website, and it should help you understand the issues on astronomical scopes.
              Costco has had both reflecting and refractors, in the fall nearer xmas-for the last few years, for under $200, with the automated tracking and finding systems -- a pretty good deal. Without auto tracking/finding, it is very frustrating for beginners to find anything ( other than the moon) to look at- IMHO
              My grandson LOVES the one I bought last year.
              Uncle Al

\"There is never enough time to do it right, but there always seems to be enough time to do it over\"

Comment

• HarmsWay
                • Nov 2003
                • Victoria, BC
                • BT3000

Give me a price range or a model you're thinking of and I'll ask around at work. I've been working at an observatory for 22 years. Some of our staff do a lot of outreach with amateurs astronomers of all ages and know a lot about personal telescopes.

Bob

Comment

• Alex Franke
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2007
                  • Chapel Hill, NC
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by crokett
                  Hungates used to - I dunno if they still have a store in University Mall.
                  Yeah, Hungates is still in University mall -- I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the tip.

Originally posted by uncle al
                  Costco has had both . . . . for under $200, with the automated tracking and finding systems
                  Automated tracking for under 2 bills? Wow, telescopes have come a long way since the 80's! Come to think of it, seems like you should be able to interface a telescope with planetarium software, too. What's that free one called? kstars? That would be TOTALLY COOL!

Originally posted by HarmsWay
                  Give me a price range or a model you're thinking of and I'll ask around at work. I've been working at an observatory for 22 years.
                  Cool -- sounds like a neat job! I'm probably looking at around $100-200 (yes, already inflating my budget - I figure I'd have some fun with it, too!) -- maybe a bit more if it can interface with the computer. I'm going to look into Meade a bit at some of the others have suggested and see what I find.

Oh, and remember: Aliens always communicate using prime numbers!

Comment

• HarmsWay
                    • Nov 2003
                    • Victoria, BC
                    • BT3000

I've talked with a few people. So far the consensus is that you'd need to spend over $300 to get something that wouldn't quickly become disappointing. The recommendation was a Sky-Watcher 6" (153mm) Dobsonian Reflector. I've got a few other queries out though. I've got another contact that is a very enthusiastic astronomy educator. If she's not on vacation, she'll have some other options for you. It's so very important to feed young minds when they are in an inquiring mode.

This is a Canadian site with Canadian prices but it will give you an idea what is available. It allows a search within $ ranges.
                    http://www.islandeyepiece.com/shopdi...cat=Telescopes

Bob
                    Last edited by HarmsWay; 07-25-2008, 02:46 PM. Reason: Add a link

Comment

• Alex Franke
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2007
                      • Chapel Hill, NC
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by HarmsWay
                      I've talked with a few people. So far the consensus is that you'd need to spend over $300 to get something that wouldn't quickly become disappointing. The recommendation was a Sky-Watcher 6" (153mm) Dobsonian Reflector. I've got a few other queries out though. I've got another contact that is a very enthusiastic astronomy educator. If she's not on vacation, she'll have some other options for you. It's so very important to feed young minds when they are in an inquiring mode.
                      Thanks, Bob -- this is great help.

Doesn't look like there's a distributor for Sky-Watcher in the USA, though. -- couldn't find them on US sites, and then I found this: http://www.skywatchertelescope.net/s...stributors.php

I wonder if it's called by a different name here...

Comment

• Russianwolf
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                        • One of them there Toy saws

Another option on telescopes is to build one.

Seriously, you can get the primary and secondary mirrors from places like Edmund Scientific to build a newtonian mounted telescope for about $100 (6" primary). The newtonian mounts are easy to build and you'll be amazed at what you can see with it.

I have my optics in my shop from where I dismantled my scope about 15 years ago. I keep planning on building another mount.
                        Mike
                        Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• HarmsWay
                          • Nov 2003
                          • Victoria, BC
                          • BT3000

They have a US website but they don't even list the 6" dobsonian.

http://www.skywatcherusa.com/home.php?cat=13

Most - if not all - of the amateur telescopes are made in China, so the 6" may be available under a different name. Not that I could find though.

I stumbled upon this article on choosing a telescope.

http://www.nightskyobserver.com/astr...pe-part-1.html

Bob

Comment

• HarmsWay
                            • Nov 2003
                            • Victoria, BC
                            • BT3000

Well, all the feedback I'm getting is that a 6" Dobsonian is a realistic minimum for a telescope and in Canada that's $330. A similar unit in the US will likely be cheaper. The grade-school astronomy teacher (who also has young kids) got back to me yesterday and said for under CDN$200 you're better off with a good set of 50mm binoculars with 7-10x magnification. Obviously the larger diameter the better as long as the optical quality is good but any more magnification and it will be difficult to control image motion.

I can see what they think about the Costco telescopes - they have a 6" Dobsonian for $230 and a 3" Bushnell Maksutov-Cassegrain that has motorized tracking and goto capabilities. It's hard to believe anyone could track for price but Costco has surprised me before.

As Mike & DustMight say, you could also build your own for cheaper. That would be a fun project for older kids. Also keep in mind the commercial telescopes are designed for ease of use and portability - and it's only useful if you use it. To see the really interesting stuff you'll need to get away from city lights.

Do something soon though!

Bob

Comment

• LarryG
                              The Full Monte
                              • May 2004
                              • Off The Back
                              • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

A first telescope purchase is always tough. As Bob says, if you don't spend a certain minimum, you're not going to be able to see much of anything at all; but the minimum is often more than many people want to spend on an interest that may not go anywhere.

One respected authority on the 'net is Ed Ting. His Advice For Beginners page is excellent and a good place to start. Another is the Orion Telescopes web site, perhaps the best-known US vendor.

One thing someone interested in astronomy should understand is that most of the objects in the night sky are just points of light, of varying brightness, against a black background. Forget seeing anything like those spectacular Hubble photos -- ain't gonna happen. Even Saturn is a purely monochromatic show when viewed with the naked eye.

Because of the above, I don't agree that a computerized go-to scope is necessary. In fact, it may be counterproductive. A go-to scope can help you find stuff, sure, but you end up spending all night going from one point of white light to another. That can get boring in a hurry. A lot of the satisfaction in amateur astronomy comes from the thrill of the hunt.
                              Larry

Comment

Working...